• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Next week ... Cold temps, but will it snow?

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL GFS has TT's near 60 on Thursday night. Would be squally in nature possibly if it played out like that.

We can sometimes see a nice burst of snow that is like half synoptic and half convective in these setups...we did it on 1/1/08 too...it may not turn out so well, but I think we have a shot at a band of pretty good snow if it does happen to work out.

The WAA is pretty strong so the forcing is there. As long as the shortwave doesn't trend too far north, I think it might be a half decent burst of snow.

We can sometimes see a nice burst of snow that is like half synoptic and half convective in these setups...we did it on 1/1/08 too...it may not turn out so well, but I think we have a shot at a band of pretty good snow if it does happen to work out.

The WAA is pretty strong so the forcing is there. As long as the shortwave doesn't trend too far north, I think it might be a half decent burst of snow.

Kind of unusual to see such low thicknesses with south winds out ahead of it.

Kind of unusual to see such low thicknesses with south winds out ahead of it.

I don;t expect it to happen, but it would be a pretty explosive system if this trended 100-150 miles south in the upper levels...as it is though, def could see a nice burst in the form of like a 100 mile wide band.

Hopefully it pans out...but you always have to throw scooter caution flags out when the low tracks to the north...but again, there is precedence for a burst of snow in these setups.

I don;t expect it to happen, but it would be a pretty explosive system if this trended 100-150 miles south in the upper levels...as it is though, def could see a nice burst in the form of like a 100 mile wide band.

Hopefully it pans out...but you always have to throw scooter caution flags out when the low tracks to the north...but again, there is precedence for a burst of snow in these setups.

Yeah I can see the bursty aspect of it, definitely. That was some strong lift as modeled on the GFS in a very cold atmosphere. Would be great snow growth if it did occur..even if only for an hour or two. Add to that, some good moisture return from the Atlantic.

I just stepped outside to start my car and wow is it cold out there. Down here in the valley at 800ft we only a few degrees below zero. This morning when I started up my car (and it barely started on the second try) the thermometer gave me a -16F. Took 3 minutes for the screen to even show anything.

Local ASOS MVL is at -17F right now.

-17/-22 lol

What about beyond that next week? What did the Ens do last nite?

They were warm. Maybe they'll be high pressure keeping some areas wedged in, but when I see 546 and 552 thicknesses that widespread...the overall atmosphere is torched. I think we'll have one..maybe two days 50s and near 60, then maybe we cool down later next week as a high builds in. Late in the 11-15 day it does cool off just a but, but it's still a bad pattern for sure. The AK low is killing us. Heights try to weakly rise over the Davis Straits, so we'll have to continue to watch that going forward. While most of the country torches, we may have lots of ne flow, low clouds and crap like that, later next week and beyond.

They were warm. Maybe they'll be high pressure keeping some areas wedged in, but when I see 546 and 552 thicknesses that widespread...the overall atmosphere is torched. I think we'll have one..maybe two days 50s and near 60, then maybe we cool down later next week as a high builds in. Late in the 11-15 day it does cool off just a but, but it's still a bad pattern for sure. The AK low is killing us. Heights try to weakly rise over the Davis Straits, so we'll have to continue to watch that going forward. While most of the country torches, we may have lots of ne flow, low clouds and crap like that, later next week and beyond.

So one of those deals where we snow Saturday/ Coolish Sunday and then torch by Tuesday? Sounds similiar to the Halloween storm regarding after the storm

So one of those deals where we snow Saturday/ Coolish Sunday and then torch by Tuesday? Sounds similiar to the Halloween storm regarding after the storm

The Saturday deal is still not very great looking on the EC ensembles..and GEFS too. They do have an overrunning look though, but they don't quite look like the ops runs right now. It is day 6 so something to watch, but nothing exciting yet.

As soon as it stopped snowing in southern alaska we have the chance of some wintry weather, although noting earth shattering. I am thinking though that we prob will torch in feb and I think we are overdue for some real winter weather in March.

Last good March snow event for most of sne was all the way back on 3/1/09. If I remember correctly there was not much in 2008 March either.

Archived