Newest Member
    Toothache
The Blizzard of 1999

SpartyOn

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

last question. Promise. How did IKK do?

Officially? Well there is no official measurement for IKK, other than the local COOPs who couldn't measure snow if their lives depended on it. I measured 18" personally, maybe I was too high...but you know, measuring snow in a blizzard. Yada, yada. :lol: Regardless, it still remains my #1...though VD 2007 is close.

Officially? Well there is no official measurement for IKK, other than the local COOPs who couldn't measure snow if their lives depended on it. I measured 18" personally, maybe I was too high...but you know, measuring snow in a blizzard. Yada, yada. :lol: Regardless, it still remains my #1...though VD 2007 is close.

Clarification appreciated Tim. :)

I was working for the Bloomington, IL post office and lived 45 minutes NW in Metamora. Needless to say, RT 116 was shut down both to Peoria and to the RT117 junction. My ex-wife has those pictures, but I remember taking pictures in Metamora and it just being dead quiet except for the winds.

Was certainly one of the best storms of my adult life, and the BEST where the LP went over my head if not to the west of me. By misfortune, I was visiting family in the thumb of MI, and there we ended up with less than half what I went home to in S. Bend. I didn't stop to take a measurement because it was so much work digging into my place, but thought that the official total was 18" at the airport (less than a mile from my house). I had a drift on my rear deck (down wind side) that was at least 3 feet if not 40 inches. Must've been fantastic in my 'hood and I was no where to be found. Go figure. :lmao:

The track of that system was awesome. Just slammed into a deep pool of cold air. No precip issues at all. Just beautiful powder compliments of nice sized flakes. The TSSN was great too. It came as the temps started rise during the night. must of had 2-3 inch per hour rates for a good hour or so. Wish I would have taken video or shot pics.

• 2 years later...

We had no right picking up 9" of snow, (with no rain other than some minor drizzle at the end), from a storm cutting thru Indiana.   That was one deep arctic air mass in place.  The fact that we did not even mix with sleet or freezing rain with that track is incredible.

Other thing I recall about that storm was how well it was modeled a week out.  TWC had it in their forecasts 7 days out and never waivered, with a large area of 'heavy snow' outlined for a large part of our subforum.

Now that was a classic storm to start a great stretch of winters (only a few loser thrown in).  That winter I just happened to be living in the sweet spot in SE MI (in Macomb county).  This was a fun 18" storm IMBY with wonderful thundersnow!  One of the few storms I can remember afterwards when driving westward there was definitely more snow in IMBY (Macomb) than Oakland county (worked in Auburn Hills at the time).

We had no right picking up 9" of snow, (with no rain other than some minor drizzle at the end), from a storm cutting thru Indiana.   That was one deep arctic air mass in place.  The fact that we did not even mix with sleet or freezing rain with that track is incredible.

Other thing I recall about that storm was how well it was modeled a week out.  TWC had it in their forecasts 7 days out and never waivered, with a large area of 'heavy snow' outlined for a large part of our subforum.

Yep, the TWC weekly planner or whatever it was called back then was pretty consistent.

I am pretty sure that ye olde AVN and MRF (the GFS of the old days) had that storm modeled well. I remember looking at that forecast for a few days ahead of time. I am not really sure why it was so accurate. After all, a change to rain on the east side of the storm was generally a possibility, but I don't think the models ever really flip-flopped on the arctic air staying in place. Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

• 2 weeks later...

How great was this storm?

Hour after hour of +SNPL and +TSSN. Actually verified blizzard conditions (sans the temp component) a few times at YYZ I believe.

It was a wild scene the morning of the 3rd. I had never seen (and haven't seen since) the cars so buried after a snowstorm. Almost the stuff you see after one of those massive EC storms.

How great was this storm?

Hour after hour of +SNPL and +TSSN. Actually verified blizzard conditions (sans the temp component) a few times at YYZ I believe.

It was a wild scene the morning of the 3rd. I had never seen (and haven't seen since) the cars so buried after a snowstorm. Almost the stuff you see after one of those massive EC storms.

^^^On top of that, just look at the storm track posted above. How often do you get those types of conditions with a low track that far NW?

^^^On top of that, just look at the storm track posted above. How often do you get those types of conditions with a low track that far NW?

Briefly (like for an hour) got into the warm sector once the pcpn had ended. Spiked to 33 with a touch of drizzle. Just enough to turn that 16" dumping into cement.

I have gotten some front-end thumps with a track like that since, but none where virtually 100% of the precipitation falls before the warm front/occlusion comes through.

I've been in the DeKalb area for both '99 and GHD and I can say for sure that GHD was a way bigger deal. In fact, I remember more about '79 than I do '99 and I was only 8 years old for that one (living in SW subburbs of Chicago).

GHD on the other hand was quite the experience. I remember watching the substation to the north of me shorting out in the ice storm that preceeded the blizzard.

Yeah a year after the craptastic 1997-98, the Midwest finally cashed in, with 12" from Detroit-Toledo-Chicago-Milwaukee, with easterly wind gusts around 30mph for many places, while snow continued for hours.

attachicon.gif19990104_072_total.png

Now that's a spread the wealth type of storm.  That would have been a great storm to track on these forums, as most of us would have cashed in very nicely.  A lot better than the thread the needle type of events we seem to get that leave many on the sidelines.

That's best part of that storm was the fact that it came off a very boring decade of snowstorms. It was so much fun I remember hanging out with my buddies and all of us enjoyed every minute of it.

It was downright amazing. This was coming after 4 consecutive blah winters (96-97 was decent by '90s standards, but crap based on our present-day expectations) and after the most snowless start to winter (nov-dec) on record. What a way to ring in the final year of the 20th century.

Now that's a spread the wealth type of storm.  That would have been a great storm to track on these forums, as most of us would have cashed in very nicely.  A lot better than the thread the needle type of events we seem to get that leave many on the sidelines.

A very unusual storm, the SE quadrant got good snow... typically that's a cold rain.

Archived