Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The Blizzard of 1999

SpartyOn

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still my #1 snowstorm/blizzard that I've personally experienced...or can remember.

Me too.  If we're talking larger regional impacts (even down into the southern Plains) then I think GHD is superior.

I wonder who would've started the thread if we were here then.  :D

Me too. If we're talking larger regional impacts (even down into the southern Plains) then I think GHD is superior.

I wonder who would've started the thread if we were here then. :D

I think that's good a debate what storm had larger regional impacts. 99 was a much colder storm than GHD...in other words, I think the snow field was larger...especially considering locations to the east of the slp got hit hard with snow. No such thing with GHD for all intents of purposes.

Hmm, I'm not sure who would've started the thread. Maybe Beau.

I think that's good a debate what storm had larger regional impacts. 99 was a much colder storm than GHD...in other words, I think the snow field was larger...especially considering locations to the east of the slp got hit hard with snow. No such thing with GHD for all intents of purposes.

Hmm, I'm not sure who would've started the thread. Maybe Beau.

That's about the only thing that 99 has on GHD, but GHD had a fairly wide snow field as well. Without doing a rigorous reanalysis it seems like GHD produced more intense conditions and I think a larger area had 18"+ compared to 99.

That's about the only thing that 99 has on GHD, but GHD had a fairly wide snow field as well. Without doing a rigorous reanalysis it seems like GHD produced more intense conditions and I think a larger area had 18"+ compared to 99.

Possibly. Found this write up about the 99 storm.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/extremes/1999/january/blizzard99.html

If only we had good forums and social media back then!

Just amazing how cold this system was. No precip worries then. It was just "Heavy Snow" and "Blizzard" warnings.

Models were very consistent with this storm 7 days out! There was no doubt that snow was coming it was just...How much was going to fall.

I agree with Geos: GHD was definitely more significant than '99, which was, to be sure, an historic event in its own right. This is especially true at my location (Geneva, 35 miles due west of the Chicago Loop). In terms of snow accumulations alone, GHD clearly beat '99 in Geneva, having produced 22" compared to '99's 13" or so. Heck, I think that the 26 Dec 09 event (14.2" here) produced slightly more snow than '99! The lake enhancement and effect, which was considerable in Chicago, just wasn't as significant around here. I believe that the winds were stronger in GHD, and GHD managed to produce quite a lot of thundersnow here and just to the north, whereas '99 produced very little to none, if I recall correctly. However, I'll make the disclaimer that I was seven years old when '99 occurred.

I agree with Geos: GHD was definitely more significant than '99, which was, to be sure, an historic event in its own right. This is especially true at my location (Geneva, 35 miles due west of the Chicago Loop). In terms of snow accumulations alone, GHD clearly beat '99 in Geneva, having produced 22" compared to '99's 13" or so. Heck, I think that the 26 Dec 09 event (14.2" here) produced slightly more snow than '99! The lake enhancement and effect, which was considerable in Chicago, just wasn't as significant around here. I believe that the winds were stronger in GHD, and GHD managed to produce quite a lot of thundersnow here and just to the north, whereas '99 produced very little to none, if I recall correctly. However, I'll make the disclaimer that I was seven years old when '99 occurred.

No doubt GHD was a more significant storm for Chicago and the suburbs than Jan 99. Matter of fact, it's really between GHD and Jan 1967 for top dog honors.

No doubt GHD was a more significant storm for Chicago and the suburbs than Jan 99. Matter of fact, it's really between GHD and Jan 1967 for top dog honors.

Agreed. It's definitely clear that '99 is the landmark event to the east of Chicago and especially for Detroit eastward into southern Ontario. After GHD, I was discussing with a neighbor who's lived here since the mid '70's, and he reckons GHD was worse than the '79 blizzard but that the snow-pack was much deeper in late January and early February of that year than it was following GHD. So, yes, it comes down to '67, and, from the lore I've heard from old-timers here in Geneva, it was more crippling than GHD even if accumulations may have been slightly less in that event than in GHD. It occurred amid the predictive capabilities of almost 50 years ago and following spring-like weather a couple of days before, and people, no doubt, were more surprised and/or less prepared. GHD, as we're well aware, was on the radar, so to speak, in some form seven or eight days before; it was well predicted, overall.

And, there's a nice snow shower ongoing right now, and, frankly, it's the healthiest rate of snow I've seen this winter ...

Archived