joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Arctic Frontal Passage

Ginx snewx

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bitter cold nd dry. Misery actually for anyone wh needs to get around outdoors.

Misery? I beg to differ. I'll be outside from sun up to sun down as always. I can't wait for the challenge of working in arctic conditions. Some of us live for this. I get a kick out of the folks that complain about the cold yet all they have to do is quickly shuffle from one heated space to another. Happy New Year Jerry!!!

Misery? I beg to differ. I'll be outside from sun up to sun down as always. I can't wait for the challenge of working in arctic conditions. Some of us live for this. I get a kick out of the folks that complain about the cold yet all they have to do is quickly shuffle from one heated space to another. Happy New Year Jerry!!!

Arctic conditions? I know you like Alaska, have you been to Barrow or anywhere else inside the Arctic Circle? New England (outside of MWN) is nowhere close to real Arctic weather.

Arctic conditions? I know you like Alaska, have you been to Barrow or anywhere else inside the Arctic Circle? New England (outside of MWN) is nowhere close to real Arctic weather.

Umm, I was kidding about it actually being truly 'Arctic". Yes, I've been inside the arctic circle on a number of occasions. Tell you what, on Tuesday the high is forecast to be around 10 at 2k. Show up at 7 am, dress warmly. at 10am you'll get 15 minutes to warm up if you need to. At noon you'll get 30 minutes. at 3pm another 15. Sometime after sunset you can warm your bones on the way home. Then tell me how you feel. MWN isn't the only high peak in the region that gets arctic like BTW.

Hes clearly over exaggerating on purpose lol...

The statistics guys are famous for having an under developed sense of humor. Snowman21 is ok in my book, lack of humor notwithstanding.

The statistics guys are famous for having an under developed sense of humor. Snowman21 is ok in my book, lack of humor notwithstanding.

LOL...one man's sense of humor is a moderator's idea of trolling, and we've seen what the latter has resulted in recently. Despite my lack of a sense of humor, I assumed you were being facetious. BTW what other peaks in NE do you think rival Arctic weather?

Happy New Year Pete! Let's fill the air with snow already!

Meh. Low to mid 20's in the CT. Valley, mid to upper teens in the hills.It's January. Nothing to write home about here.

Meh. Low to mid 20's in the CT. Valley, mid to upper teens in the hills.It's January. Nothing to write home about here.

But at least it will be winter for a few days. I'm still holding out hope for a pattern change for Feb/March. Winter doesn't always start in December in SNE (God's Country excluded).

Monday

Night

nsn40.jpg

Chance

Snow

Lo 10 °F Tuesday

sn20.jpg

Slight Chc

Snow

Hi 12 °F Tuesday

Night

nwind.jpg

Blustery

Lo -1 °F Wednesday

sct.jpg

Mostly

Sunny

Hi 19 °F Wednesday

Night

nbkn.jpg

Mostly

Cloudy

Lo 6 °F

Monday

Night

nsn40.jpg

Chance

Snow

Lo 10 °F Tuesday

sn20.jpg

Slight Chc

Snow

Hi 12 °F Tuesday

Night

nwind.jpg

Blustery

Lo -1 °F Wednesday

sct.jpg

Mostly

Sunny

Hi 19 °F Wednesday

Night

nbkn.jpg

Mostly

Cloudy

Lo 6 °F

Oh to live in GC. Enjoy your winter. The rest of us will look at brown grass, get chilly for a few days, and hope that the pattern changes - for the rest of us.

As stated NBD for January.

http://www.wwlp.com/.../7_day_forecast

That's not particularly cold for January at 1200' in the Berkshires...I remember days at Middlebury College at no elevation in central Vermont that didn't get out of the low-mid single digits for high temperatures with lows of -15F to -20F, particularly in parts of January 2009 and February/March 2007, all very cold months. This cold will feel extreme given the magnitude of the fall's warmth (ORH finished November +6.5F and should finish December right around +7F after a very mild day today.) but it's run of the mill for the time of year and extremely transient. Looks as if it will be back near 40F over the weekend with lows only reaching the mid 20s, well above normal and a quick way to erase any cold departures we accumulate Tuesday through Thursday.

Posted this in the wrong thread...on many different levels... didn't see this one...

I think Mike, Mitch, and Pete will be pleasantly surprised out of this. Classic long-streamer bands off the Lakes will push into the Greens/Berks/Taconics and I bet you all see a few fluffy inches. One of those set-ups where the band or squall moves in, drops 3" in 2 hours, then skies go clear again.

BTV WRF has a bullseye just north of you in the Bennington/Windham County upslope area, but if the lake band heads down the Mohawk Valley of NY then upslopes east of Albany, all three of you have a shot of several inches of fluff.

Its not going to take much QPF with this low/mid level cold air right smack in the good dendrite growth zone for upslope, so you Berkshires guys may be nicely surprised.

Forecast for here... WRF has 1-1.5" QPF over 48 hours.

Posted this in the wrong thread...on many different levels... didn't see this one...

I think Mike, Mitch, and Pete will be pleasantly surprised out of this. Classic long-streamer bands off the Lakes will push into the Greens/Berks/Taconics and I bet you all see a few fluffy inches. One of those set-ups where the band or squall moves in, drops 3" in 2 hours, then skies go clear again.

BTV WRF has a bullseye just north of you in the Bennington/Windham County upslope area, but if the lake band heads down the Mohawk Valley of NY then upslopes east of Albany, all three of you have a shot of several inches of fluff.

Its not going to take much QPF with this low/mid level cold air right smack in the good dendrite growth zone for upslope, so you Berkshires guys may be nicely surprised.

Forecast for here... WRF has 1-1.5" QPF over 48 hours.

More good news. Thanks !!

LOL as you always say... "enjoy the weather, its the only weather you've got."

I hope a rogue squall makes it all the way to Mt Tolland and puts down 2" in an hour. Notice how on that WRF even Mt Tolland gets measurable.

LOL...it would be nice..but won't happen..Not this year. Enjoy the 1-3 new feet.

Happy New Year

LOL...it would be nice..but won't happen..Not this year. Enjoy the 1-3 new feet.

Happy New Year

Happy New Year to you too man... and lol we aren't getting 1-3 feet.

This pattern has got to flip for you dude... you'll get another October 2011 this season. I agree with 40/70 that there's no way SNE, coastal plain, quasi-interior gets shut-out the rest of the season. There's got to be at least a widespread 8-12 incher at some point.

Or maybe we've just been so spoiled over the past 10 years with what seems like a HECS for someone every season. Heck, we already had one this season but it was before Halloween.

This pattern has got to flip for you dude... you'll get another October 2011 this season. I agree with 40/70 that there's no way SNE, coastal plain, quasi-interior gets shut-out the rest of the season. There's got to be at least a widespread 8-12 incher at some point.

Or maybe we've just been so spoiled over the past 10 years with what seems like a HECS for someone every season. Heck, we already had one this season but it was before Halloween.

We've been spoiled down here I think. There are plenty of winters without 8" storms for the coastal plain. Ugh.

I am dead serious when I say we may not see any more accumulating snow..I won't rule out a dusting here and there or something

This is by far the worst piece of crap wx ever and the biggest most stupidest horrific POS pattern...EVER. It's just boring...boring....boring...boring BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very little excitement at all. Had a few systems with rain and wind...oh the wind...SCREW THE WIND...especially in the winter...like the other day...it was so windy. It sucks walking to work in that crap...hood blowing off my head, having trouble walking, almost getting blown over.

It's pathetic when this Arctic cold is the only "fun" and I HATE THE COLD. Nothing exciting with this either though...just cold and dry...COLD AND DRY. No major snow threats either through the first 10 days of the month and perhaps longer.

WTF?

We've been spoiled down here I think. There are plenty of winters without 8" storms for the coastal plain. Ugh.

Really? I'd figure every winter has to have at least one. But then again the October storm would technically count as a large HECS this snowfall season... it may not have been in "winter" but its during the 2011-2012 snowfall season.

We are going off-topic but I'm curious, how many winters has BDL not had an 8" snowstorm (not calendar day snowfall, but snowstorm) from Dec 1 to April 1? ORH?

Isn't 5-10° below normal notable? Heck, I see daily posts about "torch" weather when it's 5-10° above normal so I would think that in a sea of above normal that a swing 20° the other way would be notable.

I'm looking forward to the stretch...I wish it would last longer, but I always enjoy a good cold out break!

Really? I'd figure every winter has to have at least one. But then again the October storm would technically count as a large HECS this snowfall season... it may not have been in "winter" but its during the 2011-2012 snowfall season.

We are going off-topic but I'm curious, how many winters has BDL not had an 8" snowstorm (not calendar day snowfall, but snowstorm) from Dec 1 to April 1? ORH?

Good question

For >8"

None in 2009-2010

2 in 2008-2009 (8.0" and 8.4")

1 in 2007-2008

1 in 2006-2007

I'd say you probably get an >8" storm about 80% of the time. The numbers for 12" snowstorm are much lower probably like 1 in 3 winters?

Good question

For >8"

None in 2009-2010

2 in 2008-2009 (8.0" and 8.4")

1 in 2007-2008

1 in 2006-2007

I'd say you probably get an >8" storm about 80% of the time. The numbers for 12" snowstorm are much lower probably like 1 in 3 winters?

Yeah, but BDL is in the shadow of the valley of snowstorm death. I am sure Worcester is quite different.

Archived