• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Mid Week Storm Threat 12/28

dryslot

Even the GGEM 6 hourlies aren't that bad... it does rain a bit but we get some light front end accumulations, then sleet. QPF is relatively light with 1/4-1/2" on that solution so with the 4-5" on the ground now, plus BTV's possible Advisory Level snowfall Sunday Night/Monday, if we waste some QPF on frozen precip, the rain portion wouldn't be all that bad, followed by some upslope behind it.

Yeah and the GGEM was definitely the worst.

Euro, UK, along with Euro Ens mean are pretty decent with some mixing during the height of the storm after front end and upslope thumps.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah its another situation where the NW side will have no cold air around to begin with and even where it is snow, it'll be elevation dependent. You see the greater lift move in and the H85 line collapses.

Agreed with that. Elevation will be important. But the 850 line was not up to CYUL during the storm on the Euro... it basically straddles 89.

Yeah and the GGEM was definitely the worst.

Euro, UK, along with Euro Ens mean are pretty decent with some mixing during the height of the storm after front end and upslope thumps.

I guess it could end up in between the EC and GFS ensembles, but I just don't like how the warmer air aloft has all the time in the world to flood north out ahead of the system. My guess it that it may end up pretty lousy until the nw winds kick in and you get Powerfreak nudity.

You said it gets to +4 at YUL during the storm... not even close. As the storm approaches 850s falls and when precip begins 850s are below 0c.

Ok, I should have said "just prior to the storm" if you want to get into semantics.

Here is the height of the storm at 96h

dec2400zeuro96h.png

Maybe some pellets or snow grains in the NE Kingdom with the evap cooling.

Ok, I should have said "just prior to the storm" if you want to get into semantics.

Here is the height of the storm at 96h

Maybe some pellets or snow grains in the NE Kingdom with the evap cooling.

Yeah that's not as much of a fail as +4 to Montreal during the storm that starts out sub 0c.

If we were talking about SNE people nit pick over 10 miles on an 850mb chart.

As precip begins at ALB... 850s are sub 0c there lol.

Initially it's really warm, but it's a very dry warm. H85 RH is running < 10% so NNE wetbulbs down quite a bit as the moisture races in. It doesn't have a prayer in hell here, but I agree that NW VT has a shot...especially since they can cool the BL a lot easier with NW winds.

Initially it's really warm, but it's a very dry warm. H85 RH is running < 10% so NNE wetbulbs down quite a bit as the moisture races in. It doesn't have a prayer in hell here, but I agree that NW VT has a shot...especially since they can cool the BL a lot easier with NW winds.

Yeah... agreed. Too much hatorade in here.

That said I could see the whole thing going NW by 150 miles with rain to YUL.

I just think that the storm is mostly a waste until you get the backside snow that's all. It looks rather wet, even if it starts out as a snow/mix.

Could be yeah. At least it's something to track.

Verbatim on the models now it's fairly interesting but if it ticks northwest it turns into a nasty wintry mix.

I was hoping it would snow up in the Lakes region this week, but that will be a fail. Oh well.

Yeah... that's why I split up my trip to the beginning and end of the week. Who knows maybe we luck out Tuesday night.

I don't think it's as doom and gloom as you warministas indicate though lol

Yeah... that's why I split up my trip to the beginning and end of the week. Who knows maybe we luck out Tuesday night.

I don't think it's as doom and gloom as you warministas indicate though lol

No I don't think it's a lock...I more or less mean that I might prepare for a sh*tty day skiing wise until you get that wrap around snow. If the GFS is right..that could be a different story. Even if I had a 2' snowpack right now...my gut would still lean to a mix then rain, but still time to work on it.

No I don't think it's a lock...I more or less mean that I might prepare for a sh*tty day skiing wise until you get that wrap around snow. If the GFS is right..that could be a different story. Even if I had a 2' snowpack right now...my gut would still lean to a mix then rain, but still time to work on it.

I think the Euro verbatim is brief mix to snow... to a period of sleet/ZR then back to snow. We're also talking about 2k-4kft.

That's not awful. Obviously it could trend worse. I'm fine with not skiing anyway Wednesday and driving back since we're going up to Stratton New Years Day.

GYX must be going with the GFS...they are talking about snow/rain and then over to snow.

GYX must be going with the GFS...they are talking about snow/rain and then over to snow.

If I was them I'd go with a cold rain, followed by a warmer rain, ending as a colder rain.

Maybe we'll get an initial 10 minute period of sleet as the mid levels wetbulb down. Then I'll get to enter in a trace. :grinch:

Archived