e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a good look at the pattern evolving

500hgtcompsup814.gif

Pretty classic -EPO/-PNA pattern...the cold is centered in W Canada and N Rockies/Plains...but it will ooze over the top into E Canada in that pattern and down to us at times provided the SE ridge doesn't get too robust.

Also note the analog dates look a lot better. Even the 2002 date was the Patriots/Raiders snow event.

I love that pattern

Finally sensing the major SSW we had/have

Not sure we should qualify this as "major" thus far... but, the sudden onset is indeed occurring.

The magnitude, and as to whether it's a propagating burster or not, are important questions yet to be answered as to whether we can expect an eventual exertion on the Arctic Oscillation - that being a reduction in the index of course. I don't know enough about how integrated the Euro Weeklies product - much less how it is even derived - is into the Arctic Domain, and up at altitudes between 5 and 30hPa, where the sudden warming is currently noted; it is possible they wouldn't even be detecting much influence at this time.

As of last check the region of warming continues to emerge and has exceed moderate warm anomaly in temperature, and is also strong in the geopotential height Wave product, showing that it does have mass. These are not hurting an eventual propagation's cause - no.

It is important to note that weaker warm events have propagated. There is also most likely a correlation threshold where below a given anomaly's strength might mean less notable effect.

The euro ensembles actually show another strong warming event taking place near day 10 and moving into the Davis Straits area and northeast Canada.

That could bode well for finally getting the NAO to drop by the end of January and into early Feb

That could bode well for finally getting the NAO to drop by the end of January and into early Feb

That's what I'm thinking. I know there are other factors, but perhaps it will finally break the back of the +AO. It's really come on strong in the last 3 days. 4 days ago, the ensembles barely hinted at any warming at all. They must be seeing something.

Holton defines a "major" warming as a wind anomaly reversal reaching 30mb ... so from there, most do propagate. This one didn't come close; it was a minor warming. Whether something follows is another story. Sometimes minor warming precede ones that propagate downward, usually resulting in a wave number 2, or vortex split.

That's what I'm thinking. I know there are other factors, but perhaps it will finally break the back of the +AO. It's really come on strong in the last 3 days. 4 days ago, the ensembles barely hinted at any warming at all. They must be seeing something.

The work is already being done on the AO I think over the next 2 weeks...that EPO ridging might try and hook up with the Asian ridge poking up near the north pole. Additional strat warming on the Atlantic side should only erode the +AO even more.

The work is already being done on the AO I think over the next 2 weeks...that EPO ridging might try and hook up with the Asian ridge poking up near the north pole. Additional strat warming on the Atlantic side should only erode the +AO even more.

and the sun is definitely quieting down too, which is conducive to a -AO during an E QBO

http://www.solen.info/solar/index.html

They see dead vortices.

It's happening dammit! The arc of history bends towards snowstorms.

This could start to happen quickly I think....maybe even faster than we think. The last time I thought that though....

Archived