• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

2nd half of January onward.

Scott (messenger) 17 inches for BOS is not a bad call imho. 2 months means we'll have at least some fun. We'll know in about 3 weeks if it duds out or we rock. The players are on the field....let's see if we can get things to fall into place. We've often seen winters of this one's personality find a way to screw us over and over again so optimism is in check.

Meanwhile, I'm about to walk home facing NW.....lol...

You need to scream into the wind like Wiz

When was the last time things looked like that? (the above pattern?)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to scream into the wind like Wiz

When was the last time things looked like that? (the above pattern?)

This winter even though it is a very different ENSO state reminds me entirely of 2006-07 including the tremendous flip and salvaging a tiny bit of snow but not alot. If we can get the gradient to work for us, then it can be alot more than 17 but I'm witholding expectations.

Reading and looking at all the graphs/models about the stratospheric warming and where we are heading is actually making me come around to see that perhaps we will see a pattern change sometime during the second half of the month...especially if we can get that AO to tank.

The question is though...can we get a favorable storm/snow pattern? It's one thing to go cold but if it's cold and dry then FML

Reading and looking at all the graphs/models about the stratospheric warming and where we are heading is actually making me come around to see that perhaps we will see a pattern change sometime during the second half of the month...especially if we can get that AO to tank.

The question is though...can we get a favorable storm/snow pattern? It's one thing to go cold but if it's cold and dry then FML

The pattern change is definitely happening. The vortex getting flushed from AK will happen eventually. Ridging in the EPO region is a big pattern change...but that doesn't mean we all of the sudden do well because the +NAO is still strong and the -PNA can pump up the SE ridge too strong if it goes crazy enough...but overall we have a much much better chance for snow events in a -epo/-pna pattern than we did in a +EPO pattern.

Hopefully we get on the right side of the gradient for that pattern. But its not a frigid pattern with endless cold and snow at least initially...it simply gives us a realistic shot to get snow events. Lakes cutters will still be a legit concern if any single shortwave amps up enough or phases with another vortmax.

But I'll take that pattern over the one we have been in all day and every day...it gives us a legit shot. Whether we cash in on it or not remains to be seen.

The pattern change is definitely happening. The vortex getting flushed from AK will happen eventually. Ridging in the EPO region is a big pattern change...but that doesn't mean we all of the sudden do well because the +NAO is still strong and the -PNA can pump up the SE ridge too strong if it goes crazy enough...but overall we have a much much better chance for snow events in a -epo/-pna pattern than we did in a +EPO pattern.

Hopefully we get on the right side of the gradient for that pattern. But its not a frigid pattern with endless cold and snow at least initially...it simply gives us a realistic shot to get snow events. Lakes cutters will still be a legit concern if any single shortwave amps up enough or phases with another vortmax.

But I'll take that pattern over the one we have been in all day and every day...it gives us a legit shot. Whether we cash in on it or not remains to be seen.

One of the big differences we are seeing right now is the AO forecasts...some members within the ensembles really want to tank that AO and around mid-month we see the NAO become less positive (almost neutral to slightly negative) along with a slight -EPO and tanking PNA.

My hope is any SE ridging that tries to become pumped up is squashed down by a tanking AO along with weaker NAO signal. Hopefully too the -AO and even NAO setup in a position to where most of the ridging across the SE is closer off to the coast to keep the potential for lake cutters down.

agree

you cant have snow without a legit source for cold.

that's a lesson i learned many years ago.

00z d11-15 EC ens have much stronger ridging through the Aleutians/Bering Strait right up over the Pole...especially toward d15. We get below normal temps every day in that period with the motherload dumping into W CAN/US thanks to the -PNA. I'll take it at this latitude.

00z d11-15 EC ens have much stronger ridging through the Aleutians/Bering Strait right up over the Pole...especially toward d15. We get below normal temps every day in that period with the motherload dumping into W CAN/US thanks to the -PNA. I'll take it at this latitude.

Yeah they look great. I like what I see on the 00z run,

:lol:

Blizz, this thread is over a 1000 posts. Will you , as WOTY, please start a new thread? This one has the taint of Messenger and Torch boy all over it. TIA.

Tough seeing the mighty Euro once again lose a 7 day fantasy storm, good ole GFS once again taking the overamped euro to the woodshed.

GFS precip looked spot on, this cold feels awesome, time to lace em up!

Well just saying what the run has. It doesn't change my thinking. A regime change is on the table. What the effects are, we don't know yet...but it will increase our chances of more wintry events hopefully.

Agree completely. It may bode well, but then again it may evolve in such a fashion that it won't make much difference in terms of realizing consistent cold and snow chances. I'm amused by some of the exuberance and confidence that some posters have displayed with respect to a big pattern change to very wintry sensible weather. Not at all clear that's in the cards and the modeling has certainly been reluctant to go all in.

GEFS are pretty chilly looking in the 11-15 day, and also have a strong arm hold of that PV in the Davis Sraits. It's surrounded by higher than normal heights to the west and north, which is a good thing.

while not related really...

it's interesting to see how the fri-tue period has/is evolving. we'll see how it plays out but that period to me looked like a big time torch several days ago...it'll still average out above normal but it's not nearly as bad. if only there were snow on the ground to make it matter. LOL

while not related really...

it's interesting to see how the fri-tue period has/is evolving. we'll see how it plays out but that period to me looked like a big time torch several days ago...it'll still average out above normal but it's not nearly as bad. if only there were snow on the ground to make it matter. LOL

Yeah now let's just hope the models aren't off by an equal amount on the coming "cold" change

Archived