• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 19 - 21 Storm System

IWXwx

I'm not sure why the Euro snow map is showing that. 850 mb temps look too warm for snow here.

I'm not sure why either. Seems those maps did the same with the early December event around here (too "snowy"). Just going to ignore them for now, unless by some wild chance they verify of course. :lol:

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it doe not, way too warm in the low levels. Using the 0 degree isotherm at 850mb will burn you alot of the time.

LOT is talking about a chance of flipping back over to snow tomorrow night on the backside in their recently issued SWS..

AS THE LOW PRESSURE MOVES NORTHEAST TUESDAY NIGHT AND TO INDIANA

BY WEDNESDAY MORNING...COLDER AIR WILL WRAP BACK INTO THE REGION.

THIS IS LIKELY TO TRANSITION THE RAIN TO SNOW IN SOME AREAS

TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. MINOR ACCUMULATIONS...UNDER ONE

INCH...ARE POSSIBLE DURING THAT TIME.

http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=lot&wwa=special%20weather%20statement

LOT is talking about a chance of flipping back over to snow tomorrow night on the backside in their recently issued SWS..

http://forecast.weat...her%20statement

I was just going to say... that's why I think the 0° isotherm was legit for ground level. NAM typically has dynamic cooling shown under heavier precip too.

My local forecast has been trending more wintry this afternoon. High temperatures for Wednesday have been taken down a notch to 37° from 41°. Snow and sleet forecast for tomorrow afternoon with mix at night.

Couple days ago the models were trending north with the precip. The NAM even had me up to near a quarter inch. However, that's all gone once again. Tonight's NAM and GFS are down to little more than a trace.

Maybe next time. LOL. This season absolutely sucks so far. Still a long ways to go, but it sure would be nice to see a little more light at the end of the tunnel. :arrowhead:

Surface temps still in the upper 30's in northern IL/IN but should see cooling into the low/mid 30's later to allow a thin band of snow to develop on the northern fringes. The area roughly I-80 to about 50 miles south of there may be most favored with overlap of precip and supportive temps.

l asked the same ? the other day. Still crazy to me how the cold air can make it all the way down to kansas, while the system will provide rain here a 1000 miles further north.

One thing that helps is the elevation difference. The hardest hit areas are above 2500'. The upslope flow helps cool the atmosphere as well.

Archived