bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Early December Pattern Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan made a specific thread for the Thursday winter storm threat so let's try to keep posts relating to that in there and keep this thread for the overall December pattern. Also, we're slowly trying to implement the thread tagging system which came along with the upgrade (which you may have noticed). TIA and happy tracking guys. :)

Ryan made a specific thread for the Thursday winter storm threat so let's try to keep posts relating to that in there and keep this thread for the overall December pattern. Also, we're slowly trying to implement the thread tagging system which came along with the upgrade (which you may have noticed). TIA and happy tracking guys. :)

Hope that was OK. Figured I'd break out the threat... and keep the pattern separate :)

Hope that was OK. Figured I'd break out the threat... and keep the pattern separate :)

Absolutely perfect...that's exactly how we want things to work. We're going to make some predefined tags as well and members will be able to search for similar threads by clicking on any of the various ones.

SO overall, nothing really changed as far as I can tell. The GEFS continue with their theme of keeping the ridge in the GOA a little stronger and thus colder for us in New england. The EC ensembles flatten that ridge out and thus are warmer for New England.

At least whatever happens in the next 7 days...even if little at all, does show you how you can get threats in a pattern that isn't favorable.

SO overall, nothing really changed as far as I can tell. The GEFS continue with their theme of keeping the ridge in the GOA a little stronger and thus colder for us in New england. The EC ensembles flatten that ridge out and thus are warmer for New England.

At least whatever happens in the next 7 days...even if little at all, does show you how you can get threats in a pattern that isn't favorable.

What's the gut feeling for middle of that next week? I see ECM warms up it quickly next Mon/Tues while GFS and GGEM have a reinforcing cold shot nextTue/Wed (little shot of -10C H85s rotates through) before those models warm up later in week 2.

Its funny how meaningless this all is to the general public whether we get another cold/dry shot or not, but this is the type of forecasting that makes a big difference in ski resort operations (primarily snowmaking). Its like a giant chess game with equipment moves and not as simple as just, its cold so start making snow, haha.

What's the gut feeling for middle of that next week? I see ECM warms up it quickly next Mon/Tues while GFS and GGEM have a reinforcing cold shot nextTue/Wed (little shot of -10C H85s rotates through) before those models warm up later in week 2.

Its funny how meaningless this all is to the general public whether we get another cold/dry shot or not, but this is the type of forecasting that makes a big difference in ski resort operations (primarily snowmaking). Its like a giant chess game with equipment moves and not as simple as just, its cold so start making snow, haha.

I think we could turn milder next week for a few days, but you should still be able to make snow for a good portion of it. It's possible one of the days late next week could be very mild, but I couldn't tell you with high confidence. Hopefully not...lol.

What's d11-15 like? I'm out to 12/20 then and only have 5 days left before the pattern change is complete.....

It looks like it could be mild, but maybe a SWFE or two. Slight ridging in NW Canada, but the flow is flat on the euro. I think it has been winning the battle so far, but even a little ridging up to our nw will help. With the raging +AO..we'll need ridging in the AK region, but I don't see it. You'll have to hope we luck out on something.....you never know though.

It looks like it could be mild, but maybe a SWFE or two. Slight ridging in NW Canada, but the flow is flat on the euro. I think it has been winning the battle so far, but even a little ridging up to our nw will help. With the raging +AO..we'll need ridging in the AK region, but I don't see it. You'll have to hope we luck out on something.....you never know though.

Luck out may be January?

Luck out may be January?

I hope, but the AO is really stable right now..perhaps into January, but I am not qualified on that.

We can always luck out with something, but the overall pattern just doesn't look very wintry. If the euro ensembles are too bullish with breaking down the ridge and keeping the flow too zonal...then it will be better.

Archived