e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 2011 General Disc/Obs

Ellinwood

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gloves will come in handy next week either for snow or cold, so i hope you brought them back with you.

I'd like to believe but I don't have it in me to weenie out given the current circumstances.

maybe, i'd be concerned if the Euro ensembles were really flat, but just by looking at the ensemble means...there are far more amplified members than flat members.

Weve been there before with the euro. I mean I'm not adamantly writing it off like past storms but let's not read things that are not there.

Man, the euro and gfs are really at odds with each other on the ridge out west. They are really far apart. If I had to guess I would say the euro is really overdoing it because the gfs looks pretty much like what we've been seing for weeks. Progressive troughs and boring winter weather.

the biggest pause for concern I have is the GFS beat the Euro on the Christmas storm where Euro had something, GFS didn't, then GFS won

lala land storms, almost guaranteed to be disappointing

Man, the euro and gfs are really at odds with each other on the ridge out west. They are really far apart. If I had to guess I would say the euro is really overdoing it because the gfs looks pretty much like what we've been seing for weeks. Progressive troughs and boring winter weather.

Going back to last year, the Euro has consistently erred by overdeepening surface lows along the SE coast at this range. I remember seeing the Euro spitting out 940 MB lows over hatteras last year. The GFS seems to be more accurate at low pressure strength at this range while the Euro is quite a bit better at locating the storm tracks at this range. At least that's my impression from watching these weenie fantasies evolve over the past two seasons.

Going way out on a limb here, but... it is possible the 18Z GFS at 8 days out is wrong.

It's possible all the euro, gfs, euro ensembles, gfs ensembles members are all wrong. I always feel uncomfortable when the ridge has to amplify strongly and then you get a closed low that is 4 or 5 standard deviations from normal in terms of depth. The solution is possible but wow, it's forecasting a rare event. Weaken the ridge and you get a different solution.

Going back to last year, the Euro has consistently erred by overdeepening surface lows along the SE coast at this range. I remember seeing the Euro spitting out 940 MB lows over hatteras last year. The GFS seems to be more accurate at low pressure strength at this range while the Euro is quite a bit better at locating the storm tracks at this range. At least that's my impression from watching these weenie fantasies evolve over the past two seasons.

yea, the Christmas storm last year was a Cat 2 hurricane pretty much on the Euro from this range

Archived