Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS blowing kisses at the SE. At 180 through 192 (next Saturday) shows most of board getting some decent Snow Showers. Even paints an inch in central NC at 192 hours on the accum map. Heres the precip type map for hour 180. See if it's still there at the 0z run tonight, hopefully this will cheer some folks up even if it's the gfs 7 days out.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfs/18zgfsptype180.gif

18z GFS blowing kisses at the SE. At 180 through 192 (next Saturday) shows most of board getting some decent Snow Showers. Even paints an inch in central NC at 192 hours on the accum map. Heres the precip type map for hour 180. See if it's still there at the 0z run tonight, hopefully this will cheer some folks up even if it's the gfs 7 days out.

http://raleighwx.ame...gfsptype180.gif

GGEM had similar cold look toward the end of its run (180). There are worse patterns for cold air than the one we are in...for example, big trough along west coast / big ridge in the east....or strong zonal pacific flow.

Could it be?

No, it can't be...if you look at the 850mb/6hr precip maps, you'll see the innacuracy of these ptype maps...I don't see how it's snowing at hr180 in MS/AL/GA. Only snow I see is maybe in the northern apps in NC.

I'm about 45 miles from Atlanta and I have a surplus for the year !

These fronts have been loaded on the north end, and have draped back through you so you get some training. By the time they get this far they are ragged, and little or no training takes place. We just get spotty showers at the end, while a lot are getting drenched. I've only had one what I'd call heavy rain in the last 6 months, and it was for 10 minutes... max. As with snow and sleet....a few miles can make a huge difference. Rejoice in your fortune :) I bet you did well with Lee. I got a half inch. T

Check this out: temp goes up 10 degrees in an hour at 1 AM on light NW winds. Other stations according to wunderground have temps up in the 40s now. What gives?

Odd temp is 48 in Chapel Hill, 37 at RDU, maybe some localized downsloping, I am at work so I cant pull up history but it would interesting to see what the temps to your NW were doing a hr or so ago most places are now upper 30's NW of you?

Down to 30 here with calm winds and south of the trinagle there are lots of low 30's as well.

GGEM had similar cold look toward the end of its run (180). There are worse patterns for cold air than the one we are in...for example, big trough along west coast / big ridge in the east....or strong zonal pacific flow.

Agree: Models,espeacilly GFS beating the drum the 6-10 day range will be the coldest air we've seen this year with a pos nao and neg pna

.Also just glancing at the 6z GFS it has the NAO dipping into negative territory by the 19th and the pna going into positive.

GFS does not look torchy at all through 384. Not that we'll get any snow, but it doesn't look too warm. Euro doesn't look good at 240, though.

I was surprised more people weren't talking about the 00z GFS last night. 200 hours out it had some real cold hitting the east coast. The Euro didn't look too bad. One run of models more towards the LR but it's still a good start.

GFS does not look torchy at all through 384. Not that we'll get any snow, but it doesn't look too warm. Euro doesn't look good at 240, though.

Both models have it about to turn colder, and pretty cold at that, esp. the further north you go in the Southeast. First the mid week front will drop another good rain in the interior Southeast. Once again, the further north from Atlanta, the more rain, as both models have the trough sharpening up in western Carolinas so that would favor heavier rates and longer duration in the Carolinas and east Tn, may even end as snow in the mtns on Wed. That brings in briefly colder air, esp. Tn-NC and north. Then the more interesting part of the change shows up. A strong Arctic high of 1040-1045 slides down into central Canada as the PV moves toward Hudson bay, so a midnation trough carves out, and that will be a nice arctic outbreak in the Plains. The models don't yet show a low developing on the front in the Miss. Valley, but I'd say chances are that will change soon. Then that front sweeps through the Deep South in about 1 week from now, so the coldest air of the season makes good enroads here. Its very cold associated with that high, 498 heights, -20 at 850, etc. So the Tenn Valley could be looking at a pretty cold Saturday next week with highs in the 30's , and the rest of the Southeast will be below normal for a couple days with this cold outbreak, and snow flurries in the mtns. But while that's going on, a split type of flow is shown on both models (more on GFS) out west, where northern stream s/w are still topping the flow and keeping cold air coming into the US...it doesn't make us that cold, but the vortex in eastern Canada argues for it not to get warm here either, about seasonable. But with pretty cold air covering the northern 2/3 or 3/4 of the country and with southern stream ejections, be on the lookout for overunning to show up soon. Already hints on the GFS of it...I'm talking about shortly after the 7 day period, closer to day 10. And the ensembles had pretty strong height anomalies in western Canada and below normal heights in the central and eastern US...so that's possibly good enough for some wintry precip on the northern side of the overrrunning, wherever that ends up being. I know others are looking outright at the models for the cold and precip, and once again the ECMWF keeps overdoing the Southeast ridge and keeping it way too warm for way too long. Both models keep missing the amount of cold air following the many troughs that keep coming through the Southeast. I've noticed that all Fall season, and something to keep in mind. I guess the one big thing that could be noted for the next week to 2 weeks is the movement of the PV in Canada and the arrival of large high pressure, widespread cold air, and the weak split flow that might show up. And possible damming event this in the day 7 to 14 timeframe, depends always on timing of the high, location of eastern Canada vortex, and speed of southern stream moisture-- timing) Still no signs of -NAO though. But thats not the only way to get wintry precip in the Southeast..another excellent way is for split flow and strong western Canada blocking or very large ridge.

post-38-0-21696600-1322917634.gif

post-38-0-94117400-1322917643.gif

post-38-0-22249000-1322917663.gif

I was surprised more people weren't talking about the 00z GFS last night. 200 hours out it had some real cold hitting the east coast. The Euro didn't look too bad. One run of models more towards the LR but it's still a good start.

the ECMWF had highs in the 20's in most of Tennessee next Saturday, and the GFS had us barely cracking freezing on Sunday, the line went from GSO to Rome to around HSV. Very cold on both models, slight timing difference. :shiver:

Archived