Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert, or anybody that has any idea on the weather for Pittsburgh, PA on thursday and friday. I am taking my son to the steelers game thurs night. Part of our Christmas presents? I read lows in mid 20's? Any snow?

Euro says 20's with maybe a really low chance of a flurry. What little moisture is there is mainly in southeast PA.

Robert, or anybody that has any idea on the weather for Pittsburgh, PA on thursday and friday. I am taking my son to the steelers game thurs night. Part of our Christmas presents? I read lows in mid 20's? Any snow?

Right now I'd say keep an eye on the next storm , both models have the strong cutoff in Tx. opening up, but the ECMWF brings it more east, the GFS hooks it across the southern Apps and off the Midatlantic, putting Pit. close to a big snowstorm. Its a fun system to follow. In fact the ECMWF is pretty close to snow throughout the Tenn. valley and into the Apps and VA as it goes offshore but the GFS makes it snow in the same areas that just got hit, Ark, TN, MS western KY then that slides northeast and brings a pretty good storm across the apps and puts PIT right on the edge of a really good snowstorm Thursday... Something to watch on todays runs.

Right now I'd say keep an eye on the next storm , both models have the strong cutoff in Tx. opening up, but the ECMWF brings it more east, the GFS hooks it across the southern Apps and off the Midatlantic, putting Pit. close to a big snowstorm. Its a fun system to follow. In fact the ECMWF is pretty close to snow throughout the Tenn. valley and into the Apps and VA as it goes offshore but the GFS makes it snow in the same areas that just got hit, Ark, TN, MS western KY then that slides northeast and brings a pretty good storm across the apps and puts PIT right on the edge of a really good snowstorm Thursday... Something to watch on todays runs.

that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the GFS 12z is a good run for PIT. Its the perfect track for a slamming snowstorm in northern Wva and most of southwest and much of PA. It has a strong neutral tilt trough and surface low going across the southern to central Apps, putting PIT right in the best possible spot. Its not the final say yet though, it could inch northward later runs (or south) so its something to keep watching. It drops about a foot on the city! Begins right around midnight Wednesday night..give or take a couple hours. Looks like also the same spots that got snow with the cutoff might do it again. Western Tenn, Ark, nw Miss. and maybe much of Tenn gets flurries on the backside.

GSP entertaining the notion of rain changing to snow before dry air comes in after frontal passage.

"TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT ... BUT PRECIP WILL FAVOR RAIN UNTIL AFTER MIDNIGHT...THEN BRIEF SNOW MAY RESULT BEFORE DRY AIR ARRIVES. LOW TEMPS MAY FALL A FEW DEGREES BELOW FREEZING ACROSS THE MTNS BY SUNRISE THURSDAY...POSSIBLY RESULTING IN SIGNIFICANT BLACK ICE. EAST OF THE MTNS...LOWS MAY RANGE IN THE MID 30S."

Well the GFS 12z is a good run for PIT. Its the perfect track for a slamming snowstorm in northern Wva and most of southwest and much of PA. It has a strong neutral tilt trough and surface low going across the southern to central Apps, putting PIT right in the best possible spot. Its not the final say yet though, it could inch northward later runs (or south) so its something to keep watching. It drops about a foot on the city! Begins right around midnight Wednesday night..give or take a couple hours. Looks like also the same spots that got snow with the cutoff might do it again. Western Tenn, Ark, nw Miss. and maybe much of Tenn gets flurries on the backside.

lasting thru thursday?

Larry Cosgove says:

I strongly suspect that, given the presence of a raging subtropical jet stream and a tendency for pronounced digging of shortwaves from the polar westerlies, a threat for a major winter storm will take place by December 12 - 13 over parts of the Old South, Appalachia, and Eastern Seaboard. The weakened Bahamas heat ridge is shown by the computer schemes to re-organize on occasion, which in theory would help to add moisture from the Gulf of Mexico to the systems. If such a disturbance does take shape, cold air drainage would be even more pronounced and likely would reach Mexico and the Gulf Coast next weekend.

lasting thru thursday?

Yeah. Now the 12z ECMWF comes in different from GFS though. It keeps the system further south, and brings no precip to PIT. Its'well south, and also sharpens up the trough as it comes through the Tenn Valley and Carolinas, but takes it offshore. It does look colder and might have snow on the backside for Ten Valley and Apps (even possible flakes in NC east of the mtns) but that usually doesn't work out here. Obviously the models are handling the next cutoff now developing out in the Southwest pretty differently. It looks like the models have switched roles, the current run of GFS looks like what ECMWF would have done normally, and the ECMWF current run what GFS would have done back in the old days. All these strong troughs and cutoffs make forecasting harder than normal. And the big PNA ridge is not really showing up as strong on either model now thanks to so many strong s/w coming into the ridge, trying to beat it down. It's going to a challenge for a while, just trying to get anything nailed down within 5 days is hard enough lately.

Yeah. Now the 12z ECMWF comes in different from GFS though. It keeps the system further south, and brings no precip to PIT. Its'well south, and also sharpens up the trough as it comes through the Tenn Valley and Carolinas, but takes it offshore. It does look colder and might have snow on the backside for Ten Valley and Apps (even possible flakes in NC east of the mtns) but that usually doesn't work out here. Obviously the models are handling the next cutoff now developing out in the Southwest pretty differently. It looks like the models have switched roles, the current run of GFS looks like what ECMWF would have done normally, and the ECMWF current run what GFS would have done back in the old days. All these strong troughs and cutoffs make forecasting harder than normal. And the big PNA ridge is not really showing up as strong on either model now thanks to so many strong s/w coming into the ridge, trying to beat it down. It's going to a challenge for a while, just trying to get anything nailed down within 5 days is hard enough lately.

I love snow but I just didn't want it on the 8th. I bought tickets a month ago for Christmas present. I sure hope we can go but if it snows I will be plowing instead

ECMWF has a little bit of split flow and builds a tall western Canada ridge around day 7 and 8 but most of the cold air is vacated the US by then on that model. It's chaos with all the strong s/w in the flow lately. It's like watching Plinko on the price is right . Where does the next cutoff drop? Southwest, Southern Plains, or Southeast? :wacko: Different day, different run.

ECMWF has a little bit of split flow and builds a tall western Canada ridge around day 7 and 8 but most of the cold air is vacated the US by then on that model. It's chaos with all the strong s/w in the flow lately. It's like watching Plinko on the price is right . Where does the next cutoff drop? Southwest, Southern Plains, or Southeast? :wacko: Different day, different run.

got to love it

GSP entertaining the notion of rain changing to snow before dry air comes in after frontal passage.

"TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT ... BUT PRECIP WILL FAVOR RAIN UNTIL AFTER MIDNIGHT...THEN BRIEF SNOW MAY RESULT BEFORE DRY AIR ARRIVES. LOW TEMPS MAY FALL A FEW DEGREES BELOW FREEZING ACROSS THE MTNS BY SUNRISE THURSDAY...POSSIBLY RESULTING IN SIGNIFICANT BLACK ICE. EAST OF THE MTNS...LOWS MAY RANGE IN THE MID 30S."

Ye Olde Cold vs. Moisture Race

post-139-0-43557500-1323025300.jpg

Talk about different looks from model run to model run. The NAO index gets more and more attractive everyday. Just hope the trend continues and it verifies. However I'm kinda in the camp we see some type of overruning mix/ice event over the next 10 or so days outside the Apps. Just need a sw to time it's approach right. Heres the NAO off today 12zGFS.

12zgfsnao.gif

Archived