joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 23 - Storm Threat

powderfreak

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you are right and I am wrong. I just think the models are more in the cold rain camp for Rte 2. Keene and Zucker (if he is at school) might do ok...

Every model of latitude will make small steps in the temp profile, and ultiimately small steps in vaious p-type amounts. I think a trace along the Mohawk Trail and once you get up toe EEN and Socks an inch or two.

35.5/30, no "mostly sunny". Cloudy all day so far.

Latest blurb in intermediate ALB discussion....

LATEST 12Z NAM HAS ARRIVED AND ITS TRENDS...ALONG WITH THE THERMAL

PROFILES...ARE A BIT ALARMING. WE MAY SEE SOME CHANGES TO

HEADLINES AS QPF AMOUNTS ARE A BIT HIGHER ALONG WITH MESOSCALE

IMPACTS ALONG THE I90 CORRIDOR VIA THE 2D FGEN. MORE DETAILS ONCE

One of the best AFD phrases ever. No one here has spoken of anything alarming in them. What the heck are they seeing?

NH is a maddening forecast. Like has been mentioned the NAM lower levels have come in colder, but it still shows that warm layer sneaking in above 800 mb. 12z NAM soundings looked really IP for KCON, with the edge of the warm layer reaching almost to KLEB. It doesn't really even get to KPWM, only the boundary layer is in question if you take it verbatim.

I agree with NH. I don't envy that...lol. Those warm layers higher up near 800mb or above always seem like they ruin the party a little earlier than we think. That's why I feel like Dendrite's area is really tough..even into parts of srn ME. If we get strong VVs, sometimes it can help offset the warmth by an hour or two. Obviously that would have an impact with warning vs advisory amounts. It also looks like those east slopes of SW NH may have some decent icing.

I agree with NH. I don't envy that...lol. Those warm layers higher up near 800mb or above always seem like they ruin the party a little earlier than we think. That's why I feel like Dendrite's area is really tough..even into parts of srn ME. If we get strong VVs, sometimes it can help offset the warmth by an hour or two. Obviously that would have an impact with warning vs advisory amounts. It also looks like those east slopes of SW NH may have some decent icing.

I agree, the elevated icing is something that goes underforecast quite often

This is pretty much as far north as the NAM gets the mixing/changeover into Northern New England. Interestingly..it has a bit of a dry slot moving through Central and Northern New England shortly thereafter..around 12z Wednesday..and then redevelopment afterwards. Gives the impression that it's a quick in-quick out thumper which is typical of these events.

cld22.gif

2m temps at that frame: http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NAMSFC4_12z/temp23.gif

This is pretty much as far north as the NAM gets the mixing/changeover into Northern New England. Interestingly..it has a bit of a dry slot moving through Central and Northern New England shortly thereafter..around 12z Wednesday..and then redevelopment afterwards. Gives the impression that it's a quick in-quick out thumper which is typical of these events.

2m temps at that frame: http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NAMSFC4_12z/temp23.gif

Front end 6hr thump..

Also, cool to see how the surface low initially tracks all the way up to near Lake Eerie, but then redevelops south of Long Island. They absolutely love to redevelop there. Almost every time.

Yep, sometimes the GFS loves to intially drive them into the Berkshires, but almost all the time, there is a warm front with a triple point near NYC and this new low slides along the south coast. You can thank the low level cold for that.

I wrote most of my thoughts on the 06z (and early look at 12z NAM) suite in my last AFD update, but figured I would throw them here too, for those that don't troll the GYX discussions often.

06z GEFS shows a great signal for heavy, banded precip for northern New England. +3 SD PWAT air mass over southern New England being transported northward on a +3/+4 SD southerly 850 LLJ. This is slamming into the mid level front and -3/-4 SD cold conveyor.

SREFs have been pretty consistent, and consistent in showing that the bulk of the impressive dynamics occur on the front end. Somewhat concerning as well since more precip occurring on the front end will less likely be tainted by warm air aloft that arrives later in the event.

The Euro is also pretty bullish on the evaporational cooling potential, as it has the coldest wet bulbs of the entire model suite, especially across NH.

It is the southern extent of my warnings that I'm most concerned with, for obvious reasons. But I do like my totals in the heavy band around 12 inches.

I wrote most of my thoughts on the 06z (and early look at 12z NAM) suite in my last AFD update, but figured I would throw them here too, for those that don't troll the GYX discussions often.

06z GEFS shows a great signal for heavy, banded precip for northern New England. +3 SD PWAT air mass over southern New England being transported northward on a +3/+4 SD southerly 850 LLJ. This is slamming into the mid level front and -3/-4 SD cold conveyor.

SREFs have been pretty consistent, and consistent in showing that the bulk of the impressive dynamics occur on the front end. Somewhat concerning as well since more precip occurring on the front end will less likely be tainted by warm air aloft that arrives later in the event.

The Euro is also pretty bullish on the evaporational cooling potential, as it has the coldest wet bulbs of the entire model suite, especially across NH.

It is the southern extent of my warnings that I'm most concerned with, for obvious reasons. But I do like my totals in the heavy band around 12 inches.

It has the making of one of those things where the whole front end might be this one big blob of 30+ DBZs..lol, with some heavier bands in it. I think once that starts to move out, then perhaps we may see the more banded structure from the mid level deformation? Big ole QPF front end thump.

Nice, And i troll you dailey.... :lol:

And also calling in my totals as well..... :thumbsup:

But you're right....the areas that are borderline and flip, might do so when the DS approaches and the precip becomes more showery in nature. Damage may be done at that point. It's going to be cool to see what happens. Good luck with the forecast. :snowman:

It has the making of one of those things where the whole front end might be this one big blob of 30+ DBZs..lol, with some heavier bands in it. I think once that starts to move out, then perhaps we may see the more banded structure from the mid level deformation? Big ole QPF front end thump.

At first glance the dprog/dt on the 12z GFS is definitely a degree or so cooler at 850 in western NH and more QPF, 0.75" line shifted northward at 12z by 30-50 miles.

At first glance the dprog/dt on the 12z GFS is definitely a degree or so cooler at 850 in western NH and more QPF, 0.75" line shifted northward at 12z by 30-50 miles.

This is the fun stuff that Josh will miss. While he's down at ILM sipping Zima's and doing P90X and spending the shift trying to figure out when KILM will seabreeze..you have a major winter storm to deal with.

FWIW, the GFS does have somewhat of a DS coming in after 12z, esp across srn NH and srn ME. It might only make precip more showery instead of steady mdt precip. Further north where it is all snow, it looks like they'll transition to more banded stuff perhaps with the backside frontogenesis and deformation. On the GFS anyways.

FWIW, the GFS does have somewhat of a DS coming in after 12z, esp across srn NH and srn ME. It might only make precip more showery instead of steady mdt precip. Further north where it is all snow, it looks like they'll transition to more banded stuff perhaps with the backside frontogenesis and deformation. On the GFS anyways.

12z GFS sounding is a full degree colder than 06z at KCON for 12z tomorrow morning. Very skinny warm layer too.

Archived