joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 23 - Storm Threat

powderfreak

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, 8-14 in the point. Looks like maybe 12 on this graphic. I'd take 4" and run, actually.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Man the difference between GYX and BTV is night and day... you can clearly see where GYX's band of heavier 8-14" snows would continue westward into VT if they kept forecasting over there.

Check out that 10.2" on the VT/NH border... BTV is forecasting 4.1" for that exact same spot (just on the VT side of the river) haha. You definitely want to be on the NH side of the CT River in this storm ;)

Its just an interesting comparison... I'm not one to care about it because the weather doesn't follow NWS forecasts, lol. I'll admit I do like the idea of sticking to the criteria and issuing an advisory if we don't average over 7" in 12 hours. Though with the rates in this storm quite a few spots will get that in central VT/NH/ME.

I was just looking at that. Looks pretty far N relative to the SLP track, which is S of LI/ACK.

There is a sneaky warm layer aloft. That's kind of why I was still feeling areas maybe just north of IZG, but even down to the south...They are going to get a wicked front end thump before they flip to IP. We'll see what the 12z guidance does, because there is still wiggle room.

Underdone?

Ha! I was just posting and thinking about that.... I'm not all that sure. My expectations have been kept quite low for this system for some reason. I've been thinking 3-6" or 4-7" here in the village, 5-10" on the mountain but I'm also usually a bit conservative these days. I don't like blowing snowfall forecasts on the high side for the ski area. Much, MUCH better to be low and still considered correct. The only time you're really "wrong" is when you forecast too much snow.

But BTV's forecast is definitely very low for central VT... Killington north to I-89 where it cuts through the Greens should be 8-12" I think. That would be a continuation of what GYX has in NH, but tapering it down a little bit as you head west.

I was going to try to get to WFO BTV today and pick up some instruments for snowpack/liquid measurements at the ski resort from Greg Hanson the senior hydrologist... not sure I'm going to have time to get all the way over there. He was going to show me around the offices and such as we communicate so frequently in the winter (they love 5am obs from the mtn, haha weenies), it would be nice to put faces to names. Maybe I should go over there and play with the crayons.

Yeah, especially if you compare to what Gray has. Look at White River Junct, VT, they are under 3-5 inches according to Burlington, where just down the road, Lebanon, NH is under 10-14 from Gray. That makes me actually laugh out loud.

Yeah its not even close... match the counties up and some of those spots differ by a full 6+" (I mean that's almost warning criteria snow difference right there).

My only thing is I have great respect for BTV and they are usually right on the money so we will see how it plays out... I usually have no beef with them at all but this one made me curious.

There is a sneaky warm layer aloft. That's kind of why I was still feeling areas maybe just north of IZG, but even down to the south...They are going to get a wicked front end thump before they flip to IP. We'll see what the 12z guidance does, because there is still wiggle room.

srefs are hitting the area just n of izg the hardest on the snow probs.

Yeah its not even close... match the counties up and some of those spots differ by a full 6+" (I mean that's almost warning criteria snow difference right there).

My only thing is I have great respect for BTV and they are usually right on the money so we will see how it plays out... I usually have no beef with them at all but this one made me curious.

Actually their AFD spells it out quite well... I skimmed this but guess I wasn't really reading or my comprehension skills are lacking ;) BTV is going with more mixed precip cutting down on totals but does say they may upgrade to a Warning in some areas this afternoon.

THIS SITUATION IS GOING TO SET UP WINTER WX EVENT FOR THE NORTH COUNTRY. CD TEMPS AT THE ONSET OF PRECIP AFT MIDNGT WILL BEGIN AS SNOW...WITH EVEN THE CHANCE FOR SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN(MAINLY FOR THE ST LAW VALLEY). SE FLOW PICKING UP OVERNGT DUE TO RIDGE OFFSHORE WILL AID IN BRINGING SOME WARM AIR INTO THE AREA TOWARDS MORNING. UNTIL THEN REGION WILL SEE SNOW/SLEET ACCUM OF 1-3" VALLEY...AND 2-4" POTENTIAL OVER HIR ELEV. DUE TO THE ADDITION OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN INTO THE EQUATION FOR THIS EVENT...SOME OF THE TOTALS MAY BE LWR...BUT IMPACT ON ROAD CONDITIONS INCREASES. AS A RESULT HAVE ISSUED WINTER WX ADVISORY STARTING MIDNGT TONIGHT. BEST CHANCES FOR FREEZING RAIN ACCUM WILL BE IN ST LAW VALLEY WHERE UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH IS POSSIBLE. && .SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...

AS OF 430 AM EST TUESDAY...GOING INTO WEDNESDAY...PRECIP CONTINUE ALTHOUGH SYSTEM IS FAIRLY PROGRESSIVE...BY SHIFTING WELL OFFSHORE BY WED NGT. DURING THIS TIME AN ADDITIONAL COUPLE INCHES OF SNOW/SLEET IS POSSIBLE...ALTHOUGH RAIN WILL BEGIN TO MIX INTO AREA AS TEMPS RISE INTO THE 30S ON SSE FLOW. NEXT SHIFT WILL HAVE TO MONITOR AS TO POTENTIAL FOR UPGRADE TO WINTER STORM WARNING. THE SETUP OF POTENTIAL HEAVY SNOWBAND OVER CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE CWA MAY PROMPT AN INCR IN TOTALS...ESPECIALLY OVER HIR TRRN. FOR NOW UNSURE IF TOO MUCH WARM AIR WILL INTRUDE TO KEEP TOTALS AT BAY.

Actually their AFD spells it out quite well... I skimmed this but guess I wasn't really reading or my comprehension skills are lacking ;) BTV is going with more mixed precip cutting down on totals but does say they may upgrade to a Warning in some areas this afternoon.

THIS SITUATION IS GOING TO SET UP WINTER WX EVENT FOR THE NORTH COUNTRY. CD TEMPS AT THE ONSET OF PRECIP AFT MIDNGT WILL BEGIN AS SNOW...WITH EVEN THE CHANCE FOR SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN(MAINLY FOR THE ST LAW VALLEY). SE FLOW PICKING UP OVERNGT DUE TO RIDGE OFFSHORE WILL AID IN BRINGING SOME WARM AIR INTO THE AREA TOWARDS MORNING. UNTIL THEN REGION WILL SEE SNOW/SLEET ACCUM OF 1-3" VALLEY...AND 2-4" POTENTIAL OVER HIR ELEV. DUE TO THE ADDITION OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN INTO THE EQUATION FOR THIS EVENT...SOME OF THE TOTALS MAY BE LWR...BUT IMPACT ON ROAD CONDITIONS INCREASES. AS A RESULT HAVE ISSUED WINTER WX ADVISORY STARTING MIDNGT TONIGHT. BEST CHANCES FOR FREEZING RAIN ACCUM WILL BE IN ST LAW VALLEY WHERE UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH IS POSSIBLE. && .SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...

AS OF 430 AM EST TUESDAY...GOING INTO WEDNESDAY...PRECIP CONTINUE ALTHOUGH SYSTEM IS FAIRLY PROGRESSIVE...BY SHIFTING WELL OFFSHORE BY WED NGT. DURING THIS TIME AN ADDITIONAL COUPLE INCHES OF SNOW/SLEET IS POSSIBLE...ALTHOUGH RAIN WILL BEGIN TO MIX INTO AREA AS TEMPS RISE INTO THE 30S ON SSE FLOW. NEXT SHIFT WILL HAVE TO MONITOR AS TO POTENTIAL FOR UPGRADE TO WINTER STORM WARNING. THE SETUP OF POTENTIAL HEAVY SNOWBAND OVER CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE CWA MAY PROMPT AN INCR IN TOTALS...ESPECIALLY OVER HIR TRRN. FOR NOW UNSURE IF TOO MUCH WARM AIR WILL INTRUDE TO KEEP TOTALS AT BAY.

Ah OK, that is why they are so different

The NAM is the furthest south I have seen yet with the surface low. Toward like TTN and then squished out south of LI to southeast of the Cape.

In the winter I'd expect a good snow out of that track....

Those definitely came a row of a few counties north in the last 24 hours... wasn't it you ETaunton that said yesterday you liked them but 20-50 miles north?

Archived