CHSVol
Thanksgiving week transient cold shot and the pattern beyond

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great story Jerry. :thumbsup:

The Cowboys analogy reminds me....

In their first season as an expansion team...1960, my father scored Giants tickets.....4 for my friend and I and our dads. They were playing the 0-7 Cowboys and the Giants were rollling in the heyday of Tittle to Shofner. It was 12/4/60 and about 70 degrees. As an 8th grade weenie, I was downcast. We had some good cold early but the prior several weeks were torch city. The game ended up in a 28-28 tie and the Giants season kind of went downhill from there. 1 week later I awoke with warnings (unexpected at bed time) and temperatures dropping in the face of a north wind. My mother dragged me out of bed and handed me the pushbroom to sweep the garage of the buildup of oak leaves. I loved it as it was north facing and I watched the cirrus gather and lower. I go with her to pick up stuff from the deli for relatives coming over in the afternoon. Both of these relatives were NYC teachers...more on that in a moment. I was excited for winter again! I flip on the Giants-Redskins game and it was snowing very hard with Shoftner ending up in a snowbank on one of his receptions. Snow begain for me around 3 and it was light. Temperatures at that point were around 18-20 and the street of course whitened up quickly. I boldly called that NYC would close schools the next day and was ridiculed by the teacher relatives because it hadn't happened since WW2! Snow remained light and the people left. Around 9 it picked up and by 11 it was ripping. One of the great blizzards of my life and entry vouz of one of the all time great winters. Keep the faith folks...it's coming!

Euro also has a cutoff look too at that time frame and tries to bring a low along a stalled front, albeit well offshore.

I saw that.... about 100 miles west and it's clip city!

hey, would anyone be opposed to my starting a new thread as sort of a part II on this one...? i wanted to add statement this morning (i'm on vaca this week. yipeee!) but don't want to if it will be lost in the din of 65 pages of waxing nostalgia over woe-is-us.

I saw that.... about 100 miles west and it's clip city!

hey, would anyone be opposed to my starting a new thread as sort of a part II on this one...? i wanted to add statement this morning (i'm on vaca this week. yipeee!) but don't want to if it will be lost in the din of 65 pages of waxing nostalgia over woe-is-us.

Go for it John. This thread is over 1000 posts.

that would at least be climo. LOL.

a lot more ridging out west and into the adjacent pacific waters. i'd welcome that look

The one thing that sticks out in my mind, is how strong the PV is up by AK. It's basically from the surface to the Stratosphere right now..lol. I think the AO will remain positive for a while to come. I guess in my mind, I think we are just going to have to hope the vortex retrogrades enough to pop some ridging in the western NAMR. I just don't see that vortex breaking down quick enough, so we should root for it to at least retrograde.

I would love for it to vanish because even if it retrogrades, it is in a very precarious position to redevelop or move back east. Hopefully this thing just spins itself out by mid to late month.

Archived