CHSVol
Thanksgiving week transient cold shot and the pattern beyond

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man you must have a verification score at stake with these comments

The guidance is certainly improving!

No, I just mean I think we (people in this forum) are thinking around mid month or so, hopefully. The euro ensembles so far seem like they would fit the week 3 weekly composite if rolled forward. This is a dangerous thing to do, but they don't seem like they would be terribly different as it looks right now. If that's the case, then by mid month or so, we may see some big changes. Obviously that's a long time in modeling....but I think that timeframe seems reasonable..maybe a hair later.

Of course we can sneak a couple of storms in here possibly, especially if the PNA can go positive, but it may also mean a warm up right afterwards. I wouldn't normally consider that a change to a wintry regime in December, but it may also signal the end to these true torches, if it happens. It's the usual yo-yo type stuff we deal with before the hammer drops. I also would not be shocked if early December trends a bit warmer in the models.

:lol: Well, someone has to drop the reality hammer. Will and Ryan have done the same.

For Will to be so cautious tells me it is what it is in this pattern. 2-3 week progs can change for the better or for the worse. A couple of weeks ago most indicated it was going to start getting colder now, not in 3 weeks.

That said only about 1 in 3 Xmas's are white in Boston. This time last year the newspapers were writing

"The calendar says Dec. 15 — just 10 more shopping days — and snowflakes remain scarce in Southern New Hampshire and the Merrimack Valley. "We've gathered our book ... one out of three chance," National Weather Service meteorologist Eleanor Vallier-Talbot said yesterday. But that's Boston, based on historical records. "You can look at the probabilities based on previous records," Vallier-Talbot said. Around North Andover and Lawrence, the chances improve. About 40 percent to 45 percent. Derry has about a 50 percent to 60 percent chance for a white Christmas. The weather service is keeping an eye on a possible coastal storm. Is snow on the way? "No snow for you guys this weekend," she said. It looks more like something southern New England will have to fret. But it's still early. Depends on lots of variables, including the storm's track."

A lot can and will happen in the next few weeks and last year goes to show how quickly the pattern can flip.

For Will to be so cautious tells me it is what it is in this pattern. 2-3 week progs can change for the better or for the worse. A couple of weeks ago most indicated it was going to start getting colder now, not in 3 weeks.

That said only about 1 in 3 Xmas's are white in Boston. This time last year the newspapers were writing

"The calendar says Dec. 15 — just 10 more shopping days — and snowflakes remain scarce in Southern New Hampshire and the Merrimack Valley. "We've gathered our book ... one out of three chance," National Weather Service meteorologist Eleanor Vallier-Talbot said yesterday. But that's Boston, based on historical records. "You can look at the probabilities based on previous records," Vallier-Talbot said. Around North Andover and Lawrence, the chances improve. About 40 percent to 45 percent. Derry has about a 50 percent to 60 percent chance for a white Christmas. The weather service is keeping an eye on a possible coastal storm. Is snow on the way? "No snow for you guys this weekend," she said. It looks more like something southern New England will have to fret. But it's still early. Depends on lots of variables, including the storm's track."

A lot can and will happen in the next few weeks and last year goes to show how quickly the pattern can flip.

pfffft.... what do they know...:P

Reading through last year's pattern change threads is very similar. Mets being cautious (a bit more optimistic), weenies jumping and toasting...

pfffft.... what do they know...:P

Reading through last year's pattern change threads is very similar. Mets being cautious (a bit more optimistic), weenies jumping and toasting...

The only thing that's bothering me about a change right now is that the guys that fully understand the mumbo-jumbo that is true long range pattern forecasting now seem to be hedging a bit here and elsewhere. That makes me wonder if they're seeing things in the connections that aren't providing positive signs for a change like they thought a week ago.

Aside of the cold shot around the 5th it looks to me like the pattern is just reloading with lows shooting across into Hudsons Bay. That said if we can make some hay with that system prior...what's there to complain about? It's not going to be 2010-11 winter again.

The only thing that's bothering me about a change right now is that the guys that fully understand the mumbo-jumbo that is true long range pattern forecasting now seem to be hedging a bit here and elsewhere. That makes me wonder if they're seeing things in the connections that aren't providing positive signs for a change like they thought a week ago.

Aside of the cold shot around the 5th it looks to me like the pattern is just reloading with lows shooting across into Hudsons Bay. That said if we can make some hay with that system prior...what's there to complain about? It's not going to be 2010-11 winter again.

Yeah... looks like it will be a later start, although in some areas, 2010-2011 didn't really begin until Boxing Day.

I would not mind a late December-March (or April? I did ok last April) season. Kevin will chime in that March is not winter anymore.

I am trying to understand the MJO connection and how it affects things up here. I wish there was a MJO for Dummies site. What I have been trying to read (mostly papers) is so far over my head...

Yeah... looks like it will be a later start, although in some areas, 2010-2011 didn't really begin until Boxing Day.

I would not mind a late December-March (or April? I did ok last April) season. Kevin will chime in that March is not winter anymore.

I am trying to understand the MJO connection and how it affects things up here. I wish there was a MJO for Dummies site. What I have been trying to read (mostly papers) is so far over my head...

I don't think it's all that difficult to understand and the guys do a good job of explaining it here....I just have no interest! Weather will do what it wants to do and 15 day forecasting is very far from accurate at this point. I think all of these guys can accurately say if "xyz happens" that'll change this index and downstream the weather will get colder here. The problem is we're still relying on models to tell us roughly what'll happen in that extended timeframe which can still have big errors and always tend to rush changes.

My total guess is the GFS towards 384 isn't showing much of a sign of change at all. We get a quick opportunity than another big low gets ready in the Gulf of AK. We're still 3-6 days away from even being able to see the potential changes around the 10th.

Nice looking Euro run last night for the week after the holiday weekend.. That is a nice wintry pattern..Big changes

Strongly agree. Any cold would be transient for the east, HOWEVER, the Euro is showing a significant pattern change for the Plains IMO. The evolution of the synoptic scale features suggests that troughiness in the center of the nation becomes a more permanent feature, as disturbance dig along the lee of the Rockies, and ridging wave breaks upstream. This is a very wintry pattern for them, and is the beginning of changes for us.

We don't have a complete understanding of it either. The MJO isn't something where just because it's in phase xyz, you get a certain result. The signal can be all messed up during transition times of the year. I think it works best during summer and winter. However, the principles behind it are there. The downstream effects of the latent heat released from convection, build ridges. Now in the winter and summer when we don't have crazy cutoff lows and all sorts of shorter wavelengths, it is much easier to forecast how everything will be teleconnected.

Ha, probably.

It will come around. It's slowly trying and if it waits until mid month or so..climo gets better for you and I.

Oscillations may be the name of the game this winter. Once we get the change somewhere between the 15th and 1st of January I hope it can hang tough for at least a few weeks. I kind of think we'll see 2 week halftime shows all winter.

Call it the J Lo winter...lots of curves up and down with tons of junk in the trunk.

Oscillations may be the name of the game this winter. Once we get the change somewhere between the 15th and 1st of January I hope it can hang tough for at least a few weeks. I kind of think we'll see 2 week halftime shows all winter.

Call it the J Lo winter...lots of curves up and down with tons of junk in the trunk.

But dam she looks good. Hopefully the winter will too.

Archived