CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thanksgiving week transient cold shot and the pattern beyond

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles trended a bit weaker with the Ak vortex and try to set up a weak ridging in Canada, but troughig exists in the sw too. So we have somewhat of a gradient pattern possible in the beginning of December, but I don't see much in the way of colder air. Maybe a day or two below normal.

What we really could use is a -NAO, but that ain't happening for a while. Still looks like the same old story, perhaps less of a true torch, but we are also naturally cooling down anyways as we head into December.

The GFS ensembles would be nice, but not sure how stable they are just by looking at them.

Euro ensembles trended a bit weaker with the Ak vortex and try to set up a weak ridging in Canada, but troughig exists in the sw too. So we have somewhat of a gradient pattern possible in the beginning of December, but I don't see much in the way of colder air. Maybe a day or two below normal.

What we really could use is a -NAO, but that ain't happening for a while. Still looks like the same old story, perhaps less of a true torch, but we are also naturally cooling down anyways as we head into December.

The GFS ensembles would be nice, but not sure how stable they are just by looking at them.

We pinch off the warmup after next Sat to our south. The op/en runs are fairly seasonable.

We pinch off the warmup after next Sat to our south. The op/en runs are fairly seasonable.

I smell a few SWFE for NNE in the beginning of December. Even of SNE gets screwed, it will probably offer transient cold shots. That vortex however, is such a stable feature. I think what we have to hope for, is a retreat towards Kamchatka.

I smell a few SWFE for NNE in the beginning of December. Even of SNE gets screwed, it will probably offer transient cold shots. That vortex however, is such a stable feature. I think what we have to hope for, is a retreat towards Kamchatka.

Fairbanks is running a -9 mtd. It was cold (not as but still solidly below normal) in November 2008 and 2009) suggesting to me that while this feature is particularly intense this year, it happens on good winters for November.

Fairbanks is running a -9 mtd. It was cold (not as but still solidly below normal) in November 2008 and 2009) suggesting to me that while this feature is particularly intense this year, it happens on good winters for November.

Even is we don't get ridging like we got last year...any little thing we can do to weaken or dislodge that vortex will help bring some cold here. I suppose if there is any good news, it's not like we have taken steps back over the last couple of days.

The MJO is progged to go around the horn into P5-6 by early December. That could help reshuffle the deck, if you will. We'll need it, because that vortex..even retrograding a little, still shoves Pacific air into Canada. We need a complete change. Bring that trough into Kamchatka, slow down the flow and pump the ridge up into AK. I'm hoping for the weeklies to continue what they had Thursday. The GFS ensembles try and do this, but I just think they are too quick.

It;s days 7-10 not day 10

Transient stuff dude. We could get a few colder shots, but I don't see it long lasting. Again, it goes back to what we have been saying. You can sneak some stuff in, but I don't see anything sustainable right now. SNE looks to be on the gradient too in early December. If it comes in early, great, but I don't see a pattern change in early December.

It's interesting that nrn Hemi snow cover is so prevalent right now. The air near the poles is absolutely frigid. If we get any blocking in December, look out. Problem is, ain't no blocking in sight.

It's coming. Models have been hinting at a change but typically they bring it in too early. Late December through mid march will bring back memories of winters of yore.

Transient shots and a few snow events through December 15th would be nothing to complain about from a historical perspective. It's a rare year that truly locks in before mid December. Jerry's timing would be fine.

Transient stuff dude. We could get a few colder shots, but I don't see it long lasting. Again, it goes back to what we have been saying. You can sneak some stuff in, but I don't see anything sustainable right now. SNE looks to be on the gradient too in early December. If it comes in early, great, but I don't see a pattern change in early December.

Transient shots and a few snow events through December 15th would be nothing to complain about from a historical perspective. It's a rare year that truly locks in before mid December. Jerry's timing would be fine.

But even those aren't a given..especially out this way. We are all thinking mid month or so...give it take 5 days. I wouldn't be shocked if it is after mid month.

Archived