• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Thanksgiving week transient cold shot and the pattern beyond

ORH_wxman

Phil yep me too. I've only been skiing for a few years but we've been very fortune to hit the northern resorts with 50%+ of the trails open Xmas week. That's not happening this year barring a major change because they're not able to effectively build the bases in the mid to lower mountain right now. We will see how it goes in the next 2-3 weeks, they can recover to some extent with some big snows between the 10-25th, if we get to Xmas and they've had no natural snow these few weeks of warmer weather are going to hurt bad. Plus nobody wants to ski.

Heck I'm still mowing as are most of my neighbors. The lawn is still growing and the seed put down in early October has come in fully. I figure I have one more mow left at the end of next week/next weekend...it's nuts.

It's 57 degrees at 730pm on 11/20...wow.

You vastly under estimate the power of a modern snowmaking system. X-mas week is more than a month away. Rest assured, there will be plenty of open terrain.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No other than some quick squalls/snowshowers in CT that were lake induced..I've never seen one/been in one..so I'm hoping that weekend provides the goods.

I hope Will, Scooter, Ryan, Will might be able to provide some insight on the basic pattern they see for that 1st weekend of December.

I've had the good fortune to be in Buffalo for a number of significant LES events. Both of my parents are from there so I have spent lots of time there visiting relatives. It is awesome when that wall of white moves in. Some of the best times I've had in the snow without skis on.

It's great ..absolute white out often. Mine only last maybe 15 minutes that way, but always great. Imagine being in a continuous one for like six hours.

No other than some quick squalls/snowshowers in CT that were lake induced..I've never seen one/been in one..so I'm hoping that weekend provides the goods.

I hope Will, Scooter, Ryan, Will might be able to provide some insight on the basic pattern they see for that 1st weekend of December.

If you hit them off Ontario on the Thruway that doesn't bode as well for BUF because it means you had nw or wnw winds. But then again by Sunday winds could always back southwest so I suppose there is a way you could get hit off both lakes. LOL

Sometimes the squalls that get Orchard Park extend northeastward across the thruway again after it bends east ...such as in the Batavia/Albion area. In such case you might need an alternate route to go below that band.

Thanks..My only worry is we hit them on the thruway driving out there that Saturday morning.. I'd love them to be flying for the game and tailgating on Sunday..Then we come back Monday..MAybe we'll get a nice Miller B that weekend too for SNE

You vastly under estimate the power of a modern snowmaking system. X-mas week is more than a month away. Rest assured, there will be plenty of open terrain.

Most people aren't going to drive for hours and pay $50+ to ski some open trails at the top of the mountain. They need snow and they'll need it pretty soon (next 2-3 weeks) to get the bookings for post Xmas. The last few years at this time it was very clear they'd be able to make snow or have it falling consistently by now. Last T Day SR had the south ridge quad open, it was bare grass there today.

Loon is open today too, but again for $49...LOL, I'm not going to go ski 4-5 trails just to say I did it.

Given this existing upcoming pattern vs last winters (cold but somewhat dry) or cold/snowy winters I can just about assure you this is not what they want for base operations or marketing.

Hah I don't get a lot, but for like 15 minutes intervals it can be sweet...then the band sweeps through. It's like a hose spraying off the lake and if you are close the focus is steady and constant then it sprays a few (maybe multiple) bands that waver in the upper flow and undulate. Maybe they sweep through here and just focus at the western Catskills. Maybe it comes back through several hours later as the flow shifts. But 5 inches is the most I ever got from one event so this is no Syracuse.

quit faking your snowgasms with LES Rick :guitar:

Most people aren't going to drive for hours and pay $50+ to ski some open trails at the top of the mountain. They need snow and they'll need it pretty soon (next 2-3 weeks) to get the bookings for post Xmas. The last few years at this time it was very clear they'd be able to make snow or have it falling consistently by now. Last T Day SR had the south ridge quad open, it was bare grass there today.

Loon is open today too, but again for $49...LOL, I'm not going to go ski 4-5 trails just to say I did it.

Given this existing upcoming pattern vs last winters (cold but somewhat dry) or cold/snowy winters I can just about assure you this is not what they want for base operations or marketing.

Most of the mountains (not MRG) can do pretty well on only manmade snow. They can cover an entire trail and make it skiable in 3 days. Top to bottom, side to side.

Now if it is warm and dry (or warm and wet), all bets are off. Of course the ambiance sucks when it is brown everywhere else, and there are no powder shots...

WaWa was supposed to open this coming Friday... not much chance

Tremblant is opening on November 24th (US Thanksgiving) ...says on their website.

Most of the mountains (not MRG) can do pretty well on only manmade snow. They can cover an entire trail and make it skiable in 3 days. Top to bottom, side to side.

Now if it is warm and dry (or warm and wet), all bets are off. Of course the ambiance sucks when it is brown everywhere else, and there are no powder shots...

I think it's just more "normal" this year. I think SR had 60 or 70 trails open last Xmas week, very little chance of that barring a major pattern change mid month. Sure all of these places will have trails open but I'll save the skiing for Jan/Feb/Mar. On one hand I feel bad for them on the other hand - condo rates and ski rates were becoming more and more outrageous. 3 and 4 years ago we could go rent townhouses up in VT and NH for $300 a night that shot to $500 last year. I've noticed in the last week or so on some of the sites those rates are slipping under $400 again with many open dates. Both the economy and the weather are coming into play.

It's 55 degrees right now at Loon. It looks like they'll get a few nights where they can blow snow, but it's going to be a bit rough the next few weeks.

Loon is saying top to bottom with 10 trails and 4 lifts, be interesting to see if they can pull that off.

You aren't a skier. You are fretting way too early. Things will be just fine.

I haven't seen anything super conducive for a lake-effect pattern in early December, yet. Still really far out there, obviously. You tend to want a lot of similar things that you need for east coast snowstorms...+PNA, -NAO, -EPO are all conducive. I wouldn't be shocked if we could pull something off in a relatively transient cold shot, but we may have to wait until mid-month like the rest of you guys.

You aren't a skier. You are fretting way too early. Things will be just fine.

I don't live on a hill next to bumble the snow monster like you Pete, I'm not taking a 3 hour ride to ski a few trails nor would 99% of the ski population. That 99% is where they make their money not the people using their annual passes to ski on empty trails right now.

I'd say you are right I'm fretting too early but I'm not expecting much of a change prior to 12/15 to 12/25 and that's just not going to leave enough time to make a huge difference UNLESS there's a huge snow dump in there.

We'll see, I'm not convinced we're going to see that big flip this year to absolute winter vs oscillations. I fully expect by MLK the skiing will be terrific either through nature or snowguns.

Sure... you might as well go when you have the optimum chance for the best snow.

I don't live on a hill next to bumble the snow monster like you Pete, I'm not taking a 3 hour ride to ski a few trails nor would 99% of the ski population. That 99% is where they make their money not the people using their annual passes to ski on empty trails right now.

I'd say you are right I'm fretting too early but I'm not expecting much of a change prior to 12/15 to 12/25 and that's just not going to leave enough time to make a huge difference UNLESS there's a huge snow dump in there.

We'll see, I'm not convinced we're going to see that big flip this year to absolute winter vs oscillations. I fully expect by MLK the skiing will be terrific either through nature or snowguns.

Right, and my original response was to Phil who was talking more than just the ski resorts...from ice fishing to snowmobiling - it blows right now and no amount of snow making will help those businesses, think of poor Mica Vim?!

No frozen gorund, No frozen lakes, Even when the snow comes, Snowmobile travel will be very limited up here unless we can get some sustained cold in here to lock things up

Ski in March bro, take it from me, hundreds of runs in a week, no ants around. Day trips to the smaller MTns , tons of snow around, no worries. I think you are fretting too early, best I can tell around DEc 1 NNE will be in its normal mode. One or two snows and it's typical winter.

Yeah, 3-5 days would be nice instead of 1-2 days... but even still the storm track isn't good so even if it does get seasonable or even a bit below for a couple of days, it looks like a dry cold. This is a pattern where it'll warm up just in time for the rain to begin haha. We'd have to get very lucky to be on the cold side of any significant area of weather.

1980s.

I'd rather just a raging inferno of a torch TBH.

Right, and my original response was to Phil who was talking more than just the ski resorts...from ice fishing to snowmobiling - it blows right now and no amount of snow making will help those businesses, think of poor Mica Vim?!

Still a ways to go...NNE gets its winter, no matter how much it sucks here

Still felt odd to mow in a t shirt today

Ski in March bro, take it from me, hundreds of runs in a week, no ants around. Day trips to the smaller MTns , tons of snow around, no worries. I think you are fretting too early, best I can tell around DEc 1 NNE will be in its normal mode. One or two snows and it's typical winter.

Ever try Burke? Nice hill

Phil yep me too. I've only been skiing for a few years but we've been very fortune to hit the northern resorts with 50%+ of the trails open Xmas week. That's not happening this year barring a major change because they're not able to effectively build the bases in the mid to lower mountain right now. We will see how it goes in the next 2-3 weeks, they can recover to some extent with some big snows between the 10-25th, if we get to Xmas and they've had no natural snow these few weeks of warmer weather are going to hurt bad. Plus nobody wants to ski.

Heck I'm still mowing as are most of my neighbors. The lawn is still growing and the seed put down in early October has come in fully. I figure I have one more mow left at the end of next week/next weekend...it's nuts.

It's 57 degrees at 730pm on 11/20...wow.

:lol:

Shocking

Well, I have skied since I was 3. I have worked as a ski instuctor, ski patroller, and a ski reporter. It is the rare year that x-mas week doesn't provide some decent coverage. I think we may well see a Winter with temps that average AOA normal but I believe that being close to a thermal battleground will provide many of us (at least interior elevated) with above normal snowfall. every year at this time we go through the hand wringing phase. Usually it's all for naught. We shall see, we shall see.

Only year I can think of in my life the major resorts weren't 70%+ open by XMAS was 06-07. Dec is cold and they make snow.

Yeah hopefully they can pull it off. It's a pretty brutal pattern initially.

That said I've been skiing for 2 decades in Vermont and I'm not particularly enthusiastic about my trip around Christmas. May have to choose Stowe over Mt. Snow/Killington.

Archived