joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday 12/12 Rainstorm OBS

CT Rain

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some thunder coming? Impressive winds here and it is raining-all surfaces are covered with rain, we've got puddles of water too

Quick--wake up Wiz.

Depending on the terrain, I think there's going to be a huge issue of ponding/run-off with the frozen ground in place. Maybe I'm over-estimating the impact of the recent cold, though.

30.3/28

They treated your roads the other day? Wimps.:arrowhead:

They actually dropped all kinds of salt Friday afternoon before the first flake fell. After they got caught with their pants down in our November snow event..they overprepared.. Luckily all this rain today will wash it away.so when it changes to snow with the anafront precip tomorrow as we thought..it'll stick

They actually dropped all kinds of salt Friday afternoon before the first flake fell. After they got caught with their pants down in our November snow event..they overprepared.. Luckily all this rain today will wash it away.so when it changes to snow with the anafront precip tomorrow as we thought..it'll stick

I'd be reigning in my expecations on snow tomorrow if I were you which, of course, I'm not.

30.6/28

28/27, Started with a dusting of snow but have quickly gone over to pl which is now mixing with zr. Everything is super cooled and the zr is freezing immediately, no dripping. Should be nasty for a while here, the town plow was just crawling by down on the main rd. It's the only vehicle I've seen since I got up at 5:30. Nothing more depressing than rain falling on Christmas decorations. Wish I could fast forward to noon tomorrow. I suspect if we lose the snow here today/tonight it will be quickly replaced. Still, what a drag.

Currently a HWW for adjacent Berkshire County. There have been others in his CWA.

Pete--I had commented earlier thise morning about the difference in wind forecast between Berkshire/Bennington/Windham vs. Franklin/Hampshire. Gusts of 60 vs. gusts of 30. I'd like to think I'll go higher on the exposed hill, but they say 'no'. Their forecast doesn't bode well for you in the glen. Based on the forecast yo umight need to go to Peru for the gusts.

It will be interesting to see if both forecasts are right of if either busts (I guess if it falls in between, they would both bust).

28/27, Started with a dusting of snow but have quickly gone over to pl which is now mixing with zr. Everything is super cooled and the zr is freezing immediately, no dripping. Should be nasty for a while here, the town plow was just crawling by down on the main rd. It's the only vehicle I've seen since I got up at 5:30. Nothing more depressing than rain falling on Christmas decorations. Wish I could fast forward to noon tomorrow. I suspect if we lose the snow here today/tonight it will be quickly replaced. Still, what a drag.

No tending to the roads here so far. Only vehicle has been the the milk truck making it's regular pickup at the barn. Par for the course.

What do you think about the winds? Looks like a pretty good inversion to me, but hopefully we get a fine line of convection or something.

inversion is pretty darn strong at points...the afd makes mention of the lr going MA(LR)...but not sure about that. looks at best isothermal (near you), actually inverted down this way.

imo, it most likely goes the way of the typical S flow situation - that's the smartest way to lean. the only caveat this go around is the very low height of the strongest llj...that part is a bit attention-getting. was looking at the nam and the second vertical layer available above the surface has 40 knot winds at HYA...so what a couple / few hundred feet up?...and you hit 50 knots at 150m. that's pretty darn impressive.

it's intriguing to not have to think about mixing down from 2000 feet.

No tending to the roads here so far. Only vehicle has been the the milk truck making it's regular pickup at the barn. Par for the course.

The town guys are really chomping at the bit. We've had these light snow events but not anything of substance. They have been trying in vain to get funding to build a new town garage but it's been voted down 3 times. They keep bringing the measure back up for a re-vote but we're having none of it. I think thay want to have a big season so they can point out how important they are. They do a great job and with the amount of snow we typically get it would be hard to get around for most without them. However, a new 2.4 million dollar facility is excessive and our taxes are high enough as it is.

inversion is pretty darn strong at points...the afd makes mention of the lr going MA(LR)...but not sure about that. looks at best isothermal (near you), actually inverted down this way.

imo, it most likely goes the way of the typical S flow situation - that's the smartest way to lean. the only caveat this go around is the very low height of the strongest llj...that part is a bit attention-getting. was looking at the nam and the second vertical layer available above the surface has 40 knot winds at HYA...so what a couple / few hundred feet up?...and you hit 50 knots at 150m. that's pretty darn impressive.

it's intriguing to not have to think about mixing down from 2000 feet.

I only looked at BOS, but yeah very impressive for HYA, I just checked it out.

Sometimes MOS can give you hints at a strong wind events. NAMMOS has 26 kts for BOS. That's good for MOS. Even GFSMOS has 21 nots at 00z. I guess we'll see how this goes. Could be wild for MQE.

Archived