joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday 12/12 Rainstorm OBS

CT Rain

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, hadn't realized that until I posted the pic and saw the date...

Top 5 weather related event of my life... 12/11/08 (and the 5 sucky days after)... Still dead stuff overhanging my property everywhere.

Hopefully this will be just white and wet --- hold the ice, please

Yeah, same here. As crappy as it was having no power for days, I still couldn't get over how much damage that storm did.

LOL, hadn't realized that until I posted the pic and saw the date...

Top 5 weather related event of my life... 12/11/08 (and the 5 sucky days after)... Still dead stuff overhanging my property everywhere.

Hopefully this will be just white and wet --- hold the ice, please

Happy anniversary, never forget watching the meso sites going down one after another and Will driving to get us pics, unbelievable storm, let's hope none of us ever see that.

Happy anniversary, never forget watching the meso sites going down one after another and Will driving to get us pics, unbelievable storm, let's hope none of us ever see that.

I'll never forget the drive to Dunkins that morning...line out the door, and everyone had that "we're fooked" look on their face. They must've made a killing for days.

Glad I'm near the top of a hill... those in valleys, low areas, be prepared to bail

I'm in an elevated area with very sandy sub soil but much of Greenfield, Deerfield and Turners Falls are clay soil. With frozen ground and 2"+ of QPF there's gonna' be some flooded basements followed by a freeze.

23/22.5 imby. Valley is going to hold some cold air late into the morning, should be some decent icing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ZR down to the coast in CT when this first moves in.

Not sure why BOX doesn't have advisories for Tolland and Windham county?

Or here for that matter...I bet it's going to be slippery early tomorrow AM. Lots of Christmas shoppers on the roads here.

Temperatures really decoupled here with clear skies ...down to 17F now. I suspect we'll make a serious jump later when the clouds thicken, but it does look icy for awhile.

I was out in Cooperstown for their Victorian Candlelight Christmas event...lovely 4 or 5 inches of snow remaining on the ground there and all set up again after a day in the mid/upper 30s. So I enjoyed tonight and tried not to think about the mess to come.

Interesting CAD all the way to NC with lots of NNE light winds still reported.

Yeah winds are more backed than forecasted. May lock in a bit more cold.

Once winds pick up even a bit (they're dead calm in all of CT now) we should see temps start rising a couple degrees through turbulent mixing but not nearly as fast as if they were out of the E/SE bringing in the warmth.

Yeah winds are more backed than forecasted. May lock in a bit more cold.

Once winds pick up even a bit (they're dead calm in all of CT now) we should see temps start rising a couple degrees through turbulent mixing but not nearly as fast as if they were out of the E/SE bringing in the warmth.

Still not understanding BOX WWA map

Boundary between the wind shift/warmer temps and the colder temps appears to be right around the vicinity of Long Island. Looks like a decent amount of low level frontogenesis (850-700mb) going on with a bit of moisture convergence...maybe this could explain the nice heavy area of precip that blossomed in that area?

FOK was 26F and started as rain...they're 42F now. With ORH at 32F most of those 20s in far SNE shouldn't last long once the clouds move in and radiate some longwave back down. It looks like winds pick up and mix the cold out pretty quickly once the mid level OVC layer moves in. There will probably be some slippery spots here and there, but I'll ban myself if this ends up a significant icing event. Dec 08 was a completely different beast and shouldn't even have been brought up in comparison to the next 12 hours. :snowman:

Archived