amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 11th - 13th Observations

HWY316wx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your winds are probably going se now, right? I'm not sure where you're at but I know theres going to be a switch to se winds in part of NE Ga overnight.

I am in Dacula, GA about 2 miles from daculaweather.com :thumbsup:

My winds are calm but have come and gone out of the S - SE.

Looking around at other observations, you are correct... E - SE winds.

Pretty neat event.

Here are some wetbulbs from 7pm. The surface map still has a high centered near DC, and this is keeping air piled up against the mountains tonight, with dewpoints still in the teens there, giving them low wetbulbs as well. On the west side of the Apps, stronger southwest flow is pulling in juicy warmer air.

post-38-0-21956000-1292114954.jpg

It's difficult to tell (mainly because it feels cold), but downslope winds might be propping that temperature up as well. The winds will be switching soon when that front roars through - which is looking pretty potent at the moment.

Down to 34 here. Most likely won't hold up. Cloudy. Still no wind. Ready for the..... ahhh... rain???

I'm 40. My winds turned mostly east over the last hour, went from 38 to 40. Your wetbulb is down there, probably 34 or so, maybe 33. That area is another close call as well. The new NAM is no help, its been back and forth. Technically a smidge too warm for snow in NC but only by a degree or so.

I just looked at the Nams 2m Dewpoints forecast,and started with initialization. Its off substantially over Ne Ga up through western SC and NC foothills/mts. and esp. the NC mtns. By 3 to 5 degrees. That probably explains its low level warmer temps in the forecast. Actual obs shows plenty of teens dewpoints in ne Ga to western NC.

I just looked at the Nams 2m Dewpoints forecast,and started with initialization. Its off substantially over Ne Ga up through western SC and NC foothills/mts. and esp. the NC mtns. By 3 to 5 degrees. That probably explains its low level warmer temps in the forecast. Actual obs shows plenty of teens dewpoints in ne Ga to western NC.

I am seeing alot of sleet for the southern Mtns. Southwest of Asheville, What do you think Robert?

I am seeing alot of sleet for the southern Mtns. Southwest of Asheville, What do you think Robert?

Id say some sleet but mixed with snow. To keep the sleet going I 'd think you need a continual supply of dry air, but probably will have limited amounts of that. But could go back and forth for several hours until it goes over to snow. Of course it could be a lot rain mixed in too, for some areas I think all 3 will fall. I'll be glad to get this storm over with, its been a headache.

Hey weenies, I'm here in Norfolk with my relatives from Burnsville that need to travel back tomorrow. Debating an early start in the morning but they won't hit the mountains until 3-4 pm. Any best guesses from you mountain folks that live at elevation? Any current observations? I know we have some Burnsville board members here.

Absolutely pouring here on the coast of VA!

My radar should be fun to watch tonight as it has all the metars plotted on the screen. Link to my radar is in the Pinned topic at the top of our Southeaster section. Plus the metars usually update more than once per hour so when you loop the image you can see temp and wind and weather obs change.

post-347-0-50859800-1292121379.jpg

I think you are in a good spot.:snowman:

I do too. I think SW NC has the hardest time eroding any low level cold air tonight or tomorow morning, should be the last place to go if it happens. The question is will it be cold enough aloft. All models paint about .75" qpf from the front over there, so if its snow, its a decent one.

I do too. I think SW NC has the hardest time eroding any low level cold air tonight or tomorow morning, should be the last place to go if it happens. The question is will it be cold enough aloft. All models paint about .75" qpf from the front over there, so if its snow, its a decent one.

If it's not cold enough aloft yet cold enough at the surface, it could be a heck of a ZR/IP storm.

My radar should be fun to watch tonight as it has all the metars plotted on the screen. Link to my radar is in the Pinned topic at the top of our Southeaster section. Plus the metars usually update more than once per hour so when you loop the image you can see temp and wind and weather obs change.

awesome product. it will get much use tonight and tomorrow.

Rain mixed w/ sleet...Yes, I went out and confirmed that. Plus, you can hear it hit the leaves. Temp is 45 F - still can't believe it. Probably will head to all rain a few minutes though.

you still have a low dewpoint too. Enjoy that sleet, it probably will go to rain overnight, but then watch out for an awesom upslope event by this time tomorrow.:snowman:

Can you say "malfunction" at Huntsville Obs site...

Huntsville-Madison Co Exec Airport

Lat: 34.86 Lon: -86.56 Elev: 755

Last Update on Dec 11, 8:20 pm CST

Light Snow

46 °F

(8 °C) Humidity: 90 % Wind Speed: NW 7 G 13 MPH Barometer: 29.73" Dewpoint: 43 °F (6 °C) Wind Chill: 42 °F (6 °C) Visibility: 1.25 mi. More Local Wx:3 Day History:

you still have a low dewpoint too. Enjoy that sleet, it probably will go to rain overnight, but then watch out for an awesom upslope event by this time tomorrow.:snowman:

Yeah, it looks like our frontal wintry chances have gone out the window, but maybe we can switch at the very end and pick up an inch or so..........not holding my breath though. That said, looks like we should do well when the upper level support comes through.:thumbsup:

temp is 39 with a dewpoint of 23 and a wetbulb within 1 degree of that magical number :devilsmiley: too bad it isnt clear for a couple of hours :weight_lift:

My radar should be fun to watch tonight as it has all the metars plotted on the screen. Link to my radar is in the Pinned topic at the top of our Southeaster section.

definitely! got it bookmarked lol

Pretty good rain moving in from the west.

ditto - btw your site is really good. i like what you have done with it!

Hi,

im new here :) MY question is for foothillsNC! Do you think my area has a chance for a dusting of snow? I live right below Newnan Ga which is right south of Atlanta. Thanks

I wouldn't rule out a few flakes that far south, but more to your north, and exponentially at that. If you could take a drive north of Atlanta you'd be guaranteed I think.

Archived