• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 11th - 13th Observations

HWY316wx

I still have a hard time believing there were flakes in Asheboro looking at their obs with hardly any precip there and temps in the low 40's. We have been at 36 because we have had steady precip and evap cooling. Just another few degrees and we would have a nice glaze outside.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

52° and partly sunny here in downslope hell! Bring on some rain :gun_bandana:

I hit 50 earlier now a cirrus shield is coming in. Looks like a cold rain for you and I in the overnight and early morning. The 2m temps are around 33 to 34 your area. If the cold aloft could crash through the falling heights fast enough during the middle of the night, you might sneak in some wet slush, but thats a very long shot. Most likely the precip will be on the way out just as it turns cold enough to snow. Maybe we can pull the gulf low up next weekend to our area.

I hit 50 earlier now a cirrus shield is coming in. Looks like a cold rain for you and I in the overnight and early morning. The 2m temps are around 33 to 34 your area. If the cold aloft could crash through the falling heights fast enough during the middle of the night, you might sneak in some wet slush, but thats a very long shot. Most likely the precip will be on the way out just as it turns cold enough to snow. Maybe we can pull the gulf low up next weekend to our area.

Amazing how those two words together can crush a wx fan's hopes. "down" "slope".

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN

331 PM EST SAT DEC 11 2010

...WINTER STORM TO PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATION AND VERY

COLD TEMPERATURES...

.A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL TRACK ACROSS THE SOUTHERN

GREAT LAKES REGION THROUGH SUNDAY...DRAGGING A STRONG COLD FRONT

THROUGH OUR AREA. RAIN AHEAD OF THIS SYSTEM WILL MIX WITH AND

CHANGE TO SNOW LATE TONIGHT OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS...CHANGING

TO ALL SNOW EVEN IN LOWER ELEVATION AREAS SUNDAY MORNING. SNOW

SHOWERS WILL THEN PERSIST THROUGH MONDAY AS VERY COLD AIR PUSHES

INTO THE REGION. GUSTY WINDS CAN BE EXPECTED AS WELL...WHICH MAY

MAY PRODUCE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

DANGEROUS WIND CHILL VALUES WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE.

TNZ036>040-067>071-073-081-082-098-120930-

/O.NEW.KMRX.WW.Y.0025.101212T1500Z-101214T0000Z/

ANDERSON-UNION-GRAINGER-HAMBLEN-NORTHWEST COCKE-ROANE-LOUDON-KNOX-

JEFFERSON-NW BLOUNT-NORTH SEVIER-SEQUATCHIE-BLEDSOE-MARION-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CLINTON...OAK RIDGE...MAYNARDVILLE...

RUTLEDGE...MORRISTOWN...NEWPORT...LENOIR CITY...KNOXVILLE...

DANDRIDGE...MARYVILLE...SEVIERVILLE...DUNLAP...PIKEVILLE...JASPER

331 PM EST SAT DEC 11 2010 /231 PM CST SAT DEC 11 2010/

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM EST /9 AM CST/

SUNDAY TO 7 PM EST /6 PM CST/ MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM EST /9

AM CST/ SUNDAY TO 7 PM EST /6 PM CST/ MONDAY.

* TIMING: PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN AS RAIN...THEN CHANGE TO OR MIX

WITH SNOW SUNDAY MORNING. ALL THE PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO

SNOW SHOWERS BY LATE SUNDAY MORNING. SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE

SUNDAY AFTERNOON...AND THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS: SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES CAN BE

EXPECTED SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

* WINDS: SUSTAINED WINDS WILL BE BETWEEN 10 AND 20 MPH ON SUNDAY

NIGHT AND MONDAY...WITH GUSTS BETWEEN 25 AND 35 MPH. WIND CHILL

VALUES WILL DROP TO ZERO TO 10 ABOVE ZERO AT TIMES.

* IMPACTS: LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS AND LOW WIND CHILLS ARE

EXPECTED SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY. WITH TEMPERATURES

DROPPING INTO THE TEENS SUNDAY NIGHT...ICE WILL LIKELY FORM ON

ROADS. ROADS MAY BECOME HAZARDOUS...AND ANYONE OUTDOORS SHOULD BE

PREPARED FOR THE COLD AND BRISK CONDITIONS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TRAVEL WILL LIKELY BECOME HAZARDOUS ONCE THE WINTRY PRECIPITATION

BEGINS. MOTORISTS NEED TO BE ESPECIALLY CAREFUL ON BRIDGES AND

OVERPASSES WHERE SLIPPERY SPOTS OFTEN DEVELOP FIRST.

&&

$$

dropped down to 48.5

You want to see some interesting football? Watch the Bears Patriots game at 4 tomorrow. Snow and 55 mph wind gusts, LOL Go bears!

You nailed it. Panthers season tix holder and you wont find me within a thousand miles of BofA stadium tomorrow. Rain/35 degrees. Fair weather fan I guess. BUT I would LOVE to see what Bears/Patriots game will be like.

wet bulb here right now is 34.1 :( lol

You nailed it. Panthers season tix holder and you wont find me within a thousand miles of BofA stadium tomorrow. Rain/35 degrees. Fair weather fan I guess. BUT I would LOVE to see what Bears/Patriots game will be like.

Grew up in Chicago, So there my team. The game is the CBS national game, you will probably get it.

wet bulb here right now is 34.1 :( lol

well that is going to fluctuate. If it were to snow you'd get cold from the top down, but again its probably a very long shot where you're at, but still worth monitoring overnight. Probably if it were to occur, it would be near the tail end of the event when the front is passing you by, say around 12Z Sunday morning right at the end. Anyway all this is really splitting hairs and getting ultra precise, LOL. I can't really say, but be prepared for almost anything. Like burgers motto, hope for the best, expect the worst. Pretty good motto in the South. I have a much stronger feeling on the post-frontal snow showers for your area, even considering downslope there.

well that is going to fluctuate. If it were to snow you'd get cold from the top down, but again its probably a very long shot where you're at, but still worth monitoring overnight. Probably if it were to occur, it would be near the tail end of the event when the front is passing you by, say around 12Z Sunday morning right at the end. Anyway all this is really splitting hairs and getting ultra precise, LOL. I can't really say, but be prepared for almost anything. Like burgers motto, hope for the best, expect the worst. Pretty good motto in the South. I have a much stronger feeling on the post-frontal snow showers for your area, even considering downslope there.

i guess a couple of events last year and the year before with the dreaded 33 and rain are still fresh in my memory lol. it is splitting hairs and would take a miracle for something frozen overnight. also goes back to when n ga used to have the little surprises with rain and 30s in the forecast only to have something frozen falling. however, those surprises just dont seem to happen any more with the advances in technology and modeling over the last decade or two.

as long as i can get some snow flakes in the air tomorrow it should help my feelings. gsp actually mentions rabun and habersham in their write up for the snow showers breaking containment (yes i still love that word :guitar: ) and a dusting on west facing slopes (which i am :thumbsup:)

I get the email as soon as it does! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif If you want it emailed to you automatically, PM me.

FFC just postd WW Advisory for some of our nothern counties......mainly from Dawsonville north. Not bad.....and also unexpected from them this early. I swear I'll wake up tomorrow to blowing wind and sunshine breaking through.

Just issued FFC EDIT: You beat me to it!! smile.gif It's for us too

Alert:...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM SUNDAY TO 5 PM EST MONDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A WINDADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM SUNDAY TO 5 PM ESTMONDAY. THE WIND ADVISORY COVERS MOST OF NORTH AND CENTRAL GEORGIA.A STRONG ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL SWEEP THROUGH GEORGIA SUNDAY. AS THEASSOCIATED SURFACE LOW MOVES INTO THE NORTHEAST U.S SUNDAY AFTERNOON...NORTHWEST WINDS OF 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS OF 30 TO 35 MPH WILLDEVELOP ACROSS MUCH OF NORTH AND CENTRAL GEORGIA.Instructions:

A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OF AT LEAST20 MPH...OR GUSTS TO 35 MPH OR STRONGER ARE EXPECTED. WINDS THISSTRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT... ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILEVEHICLES. USE EXTRA CAUTION.WINDS MAY BE STRONG ENOUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAYAFTERNOON TO RESULT IN SOME DOWNED TREES...POWER LINES...ANDSCATTERED POWER OUTAGES

FFC just postd WW Advisory for some of our nothern counties......mainly from Dawsonville north. Not bad.....and also unexpected from them this early. I swear I'll wake up tomorrow to blowing wind and sunshine breaking through.

WWA only 2 counties north of me. That might be the closest I get to one all winter :arrowhead: I'm surprised they're so gung ho with this system...though I suppose a WWA can be issued for less than an inch if travel will become treacherous (I think).

WWA only 2 counties north of me. That might be the closest I get to one all winter :arrowhead: I'm surprised they're so gung ho with this system...though I suppose a WWA can be issued for less than an inch if travel will become treacherous (I think).

I hate to be pessimistic, but somehow I think there may be a better chance of me getting blown off the road tomorrow than sliding off the road. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Might be getting a little nasty down south:

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2122NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK0231 PM CST SAT DEC 11 2010 AREAS AFFECTED...NRN LA...SERN AR...WRN MS

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE VALID 112031Z - 112200Z

CONVECTIVE TRENDS ACROSS NRN LA...SERN AR...AND WRN MS ARE BEING MONITORED FOR A WW DURING THE REMAINDER OF THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING. SURFACE ANALYSIS AT 20Z SHOWED A COLD FRONT EXTENDING SWWD FROM ERNAR INTO NRN LA AND FAR SERN TX. TEMPERATURES ALONG AND AHEAD OF THE FRONT WERE GENERALLY IN THE UPPER 60S TO LOW 70S F...WITH AN AXIS OF MID TO UPPER 50S F DEWPOINTS ALSO LOCATED IMMEDIATELY ALONG THE FRONT...WITH VALUES DROPPING INTO THE LOWER 50S IN CNTRL MS. GIVEN THE PRESENCE OF SUBSTANTIAL CLOUD COVER ACROSS THE WARM SECTOR...AND ONLY A MARGINAL INFLUX OF HIGHER MOISTURE VALUES...DESTABILIZATION HAS BEEN WEAK...WITH SBCAPE VALUES REMAINING UNDER 500 J/KG.HOWEVER...A SLOWLY WARMING BOUNDARY LAYER AIRMASS AND INCREASING LARGE SCALE ASCENT ON THE NOSE OF A 95 KT MIDLEVEL SPEED MAX IS SUPPORTING DEEPENING CONVECTION ALONG AND AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT.STRONG LOW- AND DEEP LAYER VERTICAL WIND SHEAR /I.E. 0-1 KM SRH AOA300 M2 S-2 AND 0-6 KM BULK SHEAR VALUES IN EXCESS OF 50 KT/ MAYFAVOR ROTATING CELLS WITH THIS QUASI-DISCRETE CONVECTION...ALONG WITH A RISK FOR A TORNADO OR TWO. AS THE COLD FRONT AND INSTABILITYAXIS CONTINUE TO ADVANCE EWD...LINEAR LOW-LEVEL FORCING MAY ORGANIZE STORMS INTO A LINE...WITH DAMAGING WIND GUSTS BECOMING THE PRIMARYSEVERE WEATHER THREAT...GARNER.. 12/11/2010

Might be getting a little nasty down south:

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2122NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK0231 PM CST SAT DEC 11 2010 AREAS AFFECTED...NRN LA...SERN AR...WRN MS

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE VALID 112031Z - 112200Z

CONVECTIVE TRENDS ACROSS NRN LA...SERN AR...AND WRN MS ARE BEING MONITORED FOR A WW DURING THE REMAINDER OF THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING. SURFACE ANALYSIS AT 20Z SHOWED A COLD FRONT EXTENDING SWWD FROM ERNAR INTO NRN LA AND FAR SERN TX. TEMPERATURES ALONG AND AHEAD OF THE FRONT WERE GENERALLY IN THE UPPER 60S TO LOW 70S F...WITH AN AXIS OF MID TO UPPER 50S F DEWPOINTS ALSO LOCATED IMMEDIATELY ALONG THE FRONT...WITH VALUES DROPPING INTO THE LOWER 50S IN CNTRL MS. GIVEN THE PRESENCE OF SUBSTANTIAL CLOUD COVER ACROSS THE WARM SECTOR...AND ONLY A MARGINAL INFLUX OF HIGHER MOISTURE VALUES...DESTABILIZATION HAS BEEN WEAK...WITH SBCAPE VALUES REMAINING UNDER 500 J/KG.HOWEVER...A SLOWLY WARMING BOUNDARY LAYER AIRMASS AND INCREASING LARGE SCALE ASCENT ON THE NOSE OF A 95 KT MIDLEVEL SPEED MAX IS SUPPORTING DEEPENING CONVECTION ALONG AND AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT.STRONG LOW- AND DEEP LAYER VERTICAL WIND SHEAR /I.E. 0-1 KM SRH AOA300 M2 S-2 AND 0-6 KM BULK SHEAR VALUES IN EXCESS OF 50 KT/ MAYFAVOR ROTATING CELLS WITH THIS QUASI-DISCRETE CONVECTION...ALONG WITH A RISK FOR A TORNADO OR TWO. AS THE COLD FRONT AND INSTABILITYAXIS CONTINUE TO ADVANCE EWD...LINEAR LOW-LEVEL FORCING MAY ORGANIZE STORMS INTO A LINE...WITH DAMAGING WIND GUSTS BECOMING THE PRIMARYSEVERE WEATHER THREAT...GARNER.. 12/11/2010

Yeah, look like the first Tornado warning just went up for a couple counties NW of Jackson, MS. Reminds me of a couple of weeks ago but with less instability (there wasn't a whole lot then either, but you saw what happened over near the Mall of Georgia.) Doesn't take much with these extreme dynamics.

Archived