• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 11th - 13th Observations

HWY316wx

Just woke up for a min. Snow falling half inch or so on thé ground. Back to bed now

Still nothing but sleet here... seems like the heavier precipitation is getting stuck with the SW facing slopes and we have a bit of a dry slot over the mountains. I think precip. rate is going to largely determine the precipitation type, so this might be the biggest thing to watch.

Still getting some light sleet

Temp: 37.2 degrees

Dewpoint: 18 degrees <<< This needs to rise!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

moderate snow falling temp down to 30

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Just taking a peak at some wunderground stations, it seems the SW mountains of NC are picking up quite a bit of snow... even elevations down to around 2,000ft. So we'll see if we can get those heavier rates up here in Asheville. They are trying!

Sleet and snow mix now, After going outside in weenie mode. It appears that it's a sleet snow mix covering the ground.

Roughly one inch of heavy wet snow here. Went to bed about an hour and a half ago with absolutely nothing on the ground, so it's coming down at a pretty good clip, with some sleet mixing in occasionally. Sitting right at 32F. At this rate, if it keeps doing what it is right now, I'll see some three inches (maybe more) on the ground come daylight.

Switched over to all snow, with some HUGE flakes falling at the moment. Temps wavering between 32-33. Hopefully this doesn't forbode a switchover to rain, but if this keeps up I may have more than four inches on the ground come the dawn. It's really taken off in the last five minues. Take a look at the backside of the system, could get interesting. Back off to bed, for now.

bwg_None_anim.gif

Switched over to all snow, with some HUGE flakes falling at the moment. Temps wavering between 32-33. Hopefully this doesn't forbode a switchover to rain, but if this keeps up I may have more than four inches on the ground come the dawn. It's really taken off in the last five minues. Take a look at the backside of the system, could get interesting. Back off to bed, for now.

Thanks for the update. We are still a sleet/snow mix here and some of the flakes are huge! Its obvious they are still partially melted since they are very grainy, as if there were a bunch of sleet pellets compacted together. In any event the temperature continues to crash. Picture coming soon!

Temp: 32.5 degrees

Dewpoint: 28 degrees

Mainly snow now... still some sleet mixing in here and there... but I think we are going isothermal just like the RUC said we would by this time.

Temp: 31.5 degrees

Just popped my head out the window; 70/30 Snow/Sleet now. Quick dusting on the ground. 35.6 degrees.

Something interesting to note: The snow falling here is in the form of very fine flakes, as opposed to the large flakes you have seen. I'm talking fine enough to be confused for mist in the light.

And I feel pretty confident in saying we are pretty much all snow here now... the flakes have become more dendritic rather than partially melted so the warm nose is fading aloft.

Now its just a race against the clock to see how much more snowfall we can get. It looks like the end of the main band is already starting to cross the edge of North Carolina, so I suspect we have about 2-3 hours more of moderate-heavy snowfall until it shuts off. However, we could be getting 1" an hour rates until then so 1-2" across metro Asheville is not out of the question.

Current Conditions: Moderate Snow

Temp: 31.2 degrees

Dewpoint: 29 degrees

And I feel pretty confident in saying we are pretty much all snow here now... the flakes have become more dendritic rather than partially melted so the warm nose is fading aloft.

Now its just a race against the clock to see how much more snowfall we can get. It looks like the end of the main band is already starting to cross the edge of North Carolina, so I suspect we have about 2-3 hours more of moderate-heavy snowfall until it shuts off. However, we could be getting 1" an hour rates until then so 1-2" across metro Asheville is not out of the question.

Current Conditions: Moderate Snow

Temp: 31.2 degrees

Dewpoint: 29 degrees

Lagging four degrees behind (warmer) on the Tennessee side, but I'm nearly all snow now as well.

Archived