Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 16/17 threat

stormtracker

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I get somebody other than Mad Cheese killing my thread to reply?

Looks like a sig ZR event for central VA, general quarter to half inch of liquid, with the weak surface low tracking through the southern part of the state. 0z GFS in good agreement with the 12z EC, on track across southern VA. Still 6 days out, and a lot will change, but as currently modeled, enjoy the ice... :sun:

00zgfsp06thickpmsl_MA138.gif

It probably is the first legit winter threat albeit not a big storm but with potential for freezing rain of snow. The track still isn't a good one but with such a weak system and with the block ebig in a much better place, this one has a better chance of ending up as icy or snowy than any other this year. Still, it's not going to have that much moisture with it.

It's actually not a bad block for you guys, but verbatim gets squashed. I'd still keep an eye out.

The big problem is the upper level energy remains so far north initially that is just get sheared and squashed as it comes east. That seems to be the mo so far this winter, we either have systems squashed or they go to the lakes when the blocking shifts eastward like the Sunday storm. If the 500 in the north stays stronger and we get more precip, we probably have more warming at 850 and end up with the snow look becoming a freezing rain look for DC. That's the dilemma. Farther south closer to the moisture, the weak 500 would be best.

The big problem is the upper level energy remains so far north initially that is just get sheared and squashed as it comes east. That seems to be the mo so far this winter, we either have systems squashed or they go to the lakes when the blocking shifts eastward like the Sunday storm. If the 500 in the north stays stronger and we get more precip, we probably have more warming at 850 and end up with the snow look becoming a freezing rain look for DC. That's the dilemma. Farther south closer to the moisture, the weak 500 would be best.

i prefer more precip and we get snow changing to zr like the euro shows. This GFS run is terrible

Archived