Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV snow event part 4

Hoosier

Green Bay Forecast Discussion:

Anyone else see this problem happening?

Depends on where it is. Low level moistening can always be an issue, especially under strong return flow as they suggest. In other words, the air mass in the low levels is originating from a surface high which itself originates from subsiding air...which is dry. Models can underestimate this if the subsidence is stronger than modeled.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I was basically starting to write this thing off late last night. That's two storms in a row I wrote off too early. Guess that's why I'm not a met lol.

Anyway, this is starting to look like a pretty scary situation for many parts of the Midwest. I'm becoming much more concerned with the wind than anything else at this point. With 40-60mph wind gusts there is a high likelihood of at least scattered power outages. That combined with very cold air roaring in will make any prolonged periods without power somewhat dangerous with the loss of home heating ability. Repair crews would likely have a hard time getting out to locations in a timely manner to repair things as well.

That crossed my mind...I guess the saving grace is that it's not fall (no leaves) and a lot of the snow will be powdery, though I imagine there could still be some scattered issues.

Ah, you are in EP. Wondering where you were from. I was born there, now in Shaktown.

quite the migration. ;)

but yeah, far west end of e.p. luckily, i'll be back by wed. evening to enjoy some of this. glad to see active posters from the twin cities now. i felt awfully lonely the last several years.

i'm just watching local stations' online tv forecast vids and wishing i was home.

for verification's sake afterwards:

as of now, looks like 'cco has 12-16+, kstp at 10-14, kare11 with 7-14, and fox9 at 10-14

That crossed my mind...I guess the saving grace is that it's not fall (no leaves) and a lot of the snow will be powdery, though I imagine there could still be some scattered issues.

Very true. I think for the most part we'll be okay, but if numerous gusts above 55mph become a reality then those issues will arise.

quite the migration. ;)

but yeah, far west end of e.p. luckily, i'll be back by wed. evening to enjoy some of this. glad to see active posters from the twin cities now. i felt awfully lonely the last several years.

i'm just watching local stations' online tv forecast vids and wishing i was home.

for verification's sake afterwards:

as of now, looks like 'cco has 12-16+, kstp at 10-14, kare11 with 7-14, and fox9 at 10-14

Should be a nice gradient that sets up over the cities not only due to the deformation/trowal band but snow factors with the thermal gradient rather strong over the cities. Twin Cities lucky this is over the weekend...would be grid-lock otherwise. Not that I really care, but Paul Douglas earlier was calling for 2 feet on his blog.

Yeah, good to know there is another TC native on here.

LOT being very aggressive with the winds for Sunday...they've got gusts up to 55 mph in the ZFP for a few counties.

This storm is going to be brutally efficient with horizontal momentum transport with such extreme cold air advection, I don't blame them. Vertical shear will also play a significant role in developing eddies since the low level wind fields are so ridiculous.

Surface low appears to be South a bit on surface charts from where it was progged. I think this has some surprises up its sleeve for my area thru Chicago. I wouldn't be shocked to see places around here end up with at least 4-6" of snow and maybe a few places up to 8".

FWIW the 18z RGEM keeps the QC and northern Illinois areas firmly in the snow from late Saturday on, with no dry slot intrusion. It's the 18z RGEM, but still kind of gives you an idea of the potential. Chicagoland is looking more and more likely that they will miss the dry slot. If that happens then I would think amounts of 8" or more would be a distinct possibility. The 18z GFS suggested this as well. The new 00z runs could get extremely interesting.

Should be a nice gradient that sets up over the cities not only due to the deformation/trowal band but snow factors with the thermal gradient rather strong over the cities. Twin Cities lucky this is over the weekend...would be grid-lock otherwise. Not that I really care, but Paul Douglas earlier was calling for 2 feet on his blog.

Yeah, good to know there is another TC native on here.

Wouldn't they know how to handle the snow considering their yearly average?

Sounds like areas along the lakes get screwed. (Wisconsin side)... MKE saying no accumulations tomorrow.

They are most likely stating that for the day....overnight I think they will get snow, and as someone pointed out the RUC is trending south....if the incoming NAM does the same the entire event may be all snow.

Sounds like areas along the lakes get screwed. (Wisconsin side)... MKE saying no accumulations tomorrow.

Although it turns to snow Sat nite...

Using 18z data....and ASSUMING a conservative 15:1 ratio....GFS Bufkit says MKE gets 5 inches with a changeover between 1 and 4am Sunday....MesoNAM Bufkit says MKE gets about 6 inches with a change over around 10pm Saturday, but does show a break in precip for a few hours after that before starting again.

Archived