• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV snow event part 4

Hoosier

since it's a mean, isn't it possible the individual members do but in different locations causing it to appear not to in the mean? I guess i'd have to see the spread.

Well, we'll know for sure in about 10 minutes, but it's at least indicative that a fair amount of GEFS members are jucier than the OP run. If there was a big spread in location I'd think you'd see a broad swath of light precip, rather than focused axis of 0.25-0.50" with the 0.50"+ lollipop.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trends are looking better for you. Just talked to my sister around Milwaukee...I took the plunge on a slightly more southern track and said that I anticipate MKE (she works at the airport) to have severely restricted operations at best on Sunday and possibly shut down. Of course the trends should continue to be watched very closely but it seems like the north one has been halted right now.

What does she do there? My dad works in the Maintenance department.. I wouldn't want to be my dad out on the runways if this baby comes together. If you remember the next time you talk to her, ask her if she knows a big grey headed and goatee guy named, John S.

I haven't got to up or down with my emotions during this storm and it sure makes for a more enjoyable track.. I look at the calendar and its only early dec and we've already had two events.. It this one can somehow come together its just a big bonus. I couldn't ask for a much better start to winter tracking along with the much below temps..

Well, we'll know for sure in about 10 minutes, but it's at least indicative that a fair amount of GEFS members are jucier than the OP run. If there was a big spread in location I'd think you'd see a broad swath of light precip, rather than focused axis of 0.25-0.50" with the 0.50"+ lollipop.

Pretty much.. Usually how that works.

since it's a mean, isn't it possible the individual members do but in different locations causing it to appear not to in the mean? I guess i'd have to see the spread.

Anyone heard from Blowme?

I'm just sitting back and enjoying the reading... Nothing to add. Gotta say this one did feel like it could have a few tricks up its sleeve even when it was feeling pretty bleak last night.

baroclinic has also kept me from getting too excited.. Now I got Saukville in chat going 9-12" in MKE.

Surface low appears to be South a bit on surface charts from where it was progged. I think this has some surprises up its sleeve for my area thru Chicago. I wouldn't be shocked to see places around here end up with at least 4-6" of snow and maybe a few places up to 8".

4-6" with the kind of winds that are likely is going to be a blast. If someone gets 8" in the defo band with 50+ mph winds, it will be epic. Thanks for your thoughts.

skiling calling for up to 6-10 inches in chicago and 4-6 west.

I have it under good authority that when he was forecasting in Milwaukee, he would have consistently much higher snow totals than typical. I was told that one year someone tallied all of his forecasted snow totals from the winter storms combined, and it exceeded 200 inches. For the record, 100 inches for a year is an historic winter, let alone 200.

Edit: I had also been told he has tempered his snow forecasts, probably what allowed him to become popular. It's hard to imagine one of the meteorologists with the best reputations used to be so far off.

I have it under good authority that when he was forecasting in Milwaukee, he would have consistently much higher snow totals than typical. I was told that one year someone tallied all of his forecasted snow totals from the winter storms combined, and it exceeded 200 inches. For the record, 100 inches for a year is an historic winter, let alone 200.

:facepalm:

I actually think there is room Alek for the surface low to dive even further SE before turning E when considering where the greatest pressure falls are consolidating. This is going to bust for someone to high on snow amounts in MN/WI and to low for amounts across IA/NRN IL/NRN IN/SRN MI... book it. I just don't see the extreme Northern solutions verifying at this point... and we have some models that shifted the upper level features South as well which would also allow a more South and then East component rather than E and NE to the surface low....though it will eventually turn more to the NE as it rapidly deepens. Icing could be a bigger threat across Eastern Iowa and Northern Illinois as well... there is enough room for some evaporative cooling of surface temps as the WAA precip. starts in the next few hours...and there is a pretty good due Easterly flow across these areas as well.

I actually think there is room Alek for the surface low to dive even further SE before turning E when considering where the greatest pressure falls are consolidating. This is going to bust for someone to high on snow amounts in MN/WI and to low for amounts across IA/NRN IL/NRN IN/SRN MI... book it. I just don't see the extreme Northern solutions verifying at this point... and we have some models that shifted the upper level features South as well which would also allow a more South and then East component rather than E and NE to the surface low....though it will eventually turn more to the NE as it rapidly deepens. Icing could be a bigger threat across Eastern Iowa and Northern Illinois as well... there is enough room for some evaporative cooling of surface temps as the WAA precip. starts in the next few hours...and there is a pretty good due Easterly flow across these areas as well.

Maybe you missed my post where i said i needed someone to talk me down, not get me more psyched. I have to sleep tonight because it sure doesn't look like i'll be doing much tomorrow.

It'll be one for the ages if the UKIE, against all odds, scores a coup.

Archived