christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV snow event part 4

Hoosier

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still a pretty vicious dry punch into northern Illinois late in the afternoon per latest NAM. However, I can easily see that area quickly fill in if this system continues to trend stronger. Definitely a shift south from the 12z, and even the 18z.

It'll be interesting to watch how the sfc low evolves over the next 6-8 hours. Right now best 3 hour pres falls seem to take the sfc low towards central IA. Nam would put the low close to the MN border.

It'll be interesting to watch how the sfc low evolves over the next 6-8 hours. Right now best 3 hour pres falls seem to take the sfc low towards central IA. Nam would put the low close to the MN border.

That would have significant implications on the track of the low.

Very good point. Even though the NAM is basically brand new, it still may be a hair behind the reality of the situation. Amazing to see something like this evolving so close to crunch time. Just shows how unusual this system is, and makes it very exciting. With a storm system like this everything is still on the table.

Very good point. Even though the NAM is basically brand new, it still may be a hair behind the reality of the situation. Amazing to see something like this evolving so close to crunch time. Just shows how unusual this system is, and makes it very exciting. With a storm system like this everything is still on the table.

It's an exciting and nuanced storm, but I'd rather have all the global models converging on a blizzard 5 days out and sticking with it until all the snow has fallen. Less drama the better.

I think the local NWS is going to have to up the snowfall amounts over the North half of our area and everywhere West of the river and likely upgrade to a WS Warning and then the Blizzard Warning will have to be dealt with. I think the signs are there this will end up a bit further South and could very well be wetter and the way the upper level features look I'd say a good amount of precip after mid day tomorrow very likely is almost all snow here. Those mid level lows will keep the column cool and aid in tremendous lift which only will aid in snow production.

Wouldn't it be incredibly ironic if the most action did eventually track closer to the OV as some of the models were originally suggesting contrary to the Euro? Highly unlikely, but the trends are intriguing at this late hour in the game.

It would....but I would think the farthest south track that may verify if the sift continued would be along or a little south of the 80 corridor from Illinois to Ohio. Maybe something like 20 miles south of there....40 at most....but that would be a stretch I think.

Archived