• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
10/29 Snowloween -- Thread 1

phlwx

Good convo i got going on with myself here.. Thanks irishbri, you're a good man.. yeah, i know, you too !:lmao:

Thanks for the overnight posts Bri, they were a good read this morning...It doesn't look like this system has enough time to get cranked up enough to produce any meaningful winds except at the beaches. Hoping to avoid wind-driven heavy rain here...

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JB honking for the most destructive snow of the winter with effects similar to Itrene in the I-95 area.

3-6" locally 10" 75 miles either side of a line for north central MD to Boston.

He's really hanging it out there this time...

I know most people are mystified by some of his honking, but he seems to be out on his own with this dire of a prediction. Can anyone help me understand why he thinks this? Loaded question I know, but I am serious...Also, is the "most destructive snow of the winter" quote accurate. It's puzzling since, ya know, we haven't actually played out the winter yet...:whistle:

I know most people are mystified by some of his honking, but he seems to be out on his own with this dire of a prediction. Can anyone help me understand why he thinks this? Loaded question I know, but I am serious...Also, is the "most destructive snow of the winter" quote accurate. It's puzzling since, ya know, we haven't actually played out the winter yet...:whistle:

He is really banking on the Euro solution with cold air getting all the way to coastal plain... The reason he thinks it will be the most destructive is because of the leaves still on the trees (i.e. heavier load causing branch failure).

He is really banking on the Euro solution with cold air getting all the way to coastal plain... The reason he thinks it will be the most destructive is because of the leaves still on the trees (i.e. heavier load causing branch failure).

Hmmm. I guess if you cry wolf enough times, there's bound to actually be a wolf there sooner or later. I don't think this is that time, but we'll see. Maybe this system surprises us with more strength the way Irene surprised with the short term weakening/track changes...

I wouldn't expect even a coating in SNJ, but man it would be nice to see flakes flying again...:wub::snowman:

JB honking for the most destructive snow of the winter with effects similar to Itrene in the I-95 area.

3-6" locally 10" 75 miles either side of a line for north central MD to Boston.

He's really hanging it out there this time...

Haha oh JB. Just made my day though.I don't get the whole "either side" thing. Wouldn't it most likely be to the west of that line?

Quote-

but with what may be turning out to be a multi million dollar noreaster with treesnapping snow and and wind, things are certainly looking like that idea has merit. While this may not be the heaviest snow of the season DC to Bos, if I am right it will be the most damaging

Thanks for the overnight posts Bri, they were a good read this morning...It doesn't look like this system has enough time to get cranked up enough to produce any meaningful winds except at the beaches. Hoping to avoid wind-driven heavy rain here...

Thanks buddy. I saw everyone else was slacking, so i had my own overnigh party. It also helped i had to pick my brother up from a show @ the TLA on South St 2am. :whistle:

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but is there a good possibility of any accumulating snow without it being elevation dependent with this storm system? I'm hearing a lot being thrown out that it's mostly just elevation. Thanks.:sun:

It's elevation, precipitation rate and distance from the sea. So yeah, the Lehigh Valley could see accumulating snow without being in the Poconos.

Can anyone tell me how you determine (using model output and other info) where a deformation band sets up? I've seen people alluding to that over the years, but it seems very smoke and mirrors to me.

It's probably easiest to see on QPF outputs. When you see a QPF max to the north wrapping around to northwest of the surface low, that's almost always deformation band precipitation. It's called a deformation band because there are usually SWrlies aloft and NErlies at the surface, creating a frontogenetic zone.

500px-Deformation_field_meteorology_2.svg.png

Can anyone tell me how you determine (using model output and other info) where a deformation band sets up? I've seen people alluding to that over the years, but it seems very smoke and mirrors to me.

if you have the time, Skim through this link.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lmk/soo/presentations/frontogenesis_lmk2.pdf

it's PDF, so go down to page 14. gives you a good idea what to expect and where it usually forms.

Deform bands are usually found in mature cyclones in North America, mostly referred to in Nor'easters. Hope this helps.

Archived