joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
10/29 Snowloween -- Thread 1

phlwx

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Verbatim on the 12z GFS at KPNE everything below 900mb is warm. And not just slightly, pushing 4-5 C.

It seems like we (well you guys anyway) see an event like this every October/November. Cold rain for most, one small band of heavy precip will lead to dynamic cooling with an inch or two in a very small area. Higher elevations might cash in though. I hope Mike has his grill cam ready to go.

Verbatim on the 12z GFS at KPNE everything below 900mb is warm. And not just slightly, pushing 4-5 C.

It seems like we (well you guys anyway) see an event like this every October/November. Cold rain for most, one small band of heavy precip will lead to dynamic cooling with an inch or two in a very small area. Higher elevations might cash in though. I hope Mike has his grill cam ready to go.

yea its torched from the surface to 900mb...skew t for phl and abe

GFS_3_2011102412_F126_40.0000N_75.5000W.png

GFS_3_2011102412_F126_40.5000N_75.5000W.png

fwiw, this is the snowiest part of the 2nd storm on the euro. Im curious as to how the euro generates its snowfall predictions. Cause if you take the snowfall off coolwx for places like kabe, you would think some accumulating snow based off the 12z gfs, when in fact its all rain. I wonder if its based off temps/850/thickness or what.

snowmap-4.jpg

fwiw, this is the snowiest part of the 2nd storm on the euro. Im curious as to how the euro generates its snowfall predictions. Cause if you take the snowfall off coolwx for places like kabe, you would think some accumulating snow based off the 12z gfs, when in fact its all rain. I wonder if its based off temps/850/thickness or what.

The raw GFS takes PHL down to 33 at hour 126 and takes ABE below freezing.

http://68.226.77.253/text/1DegGFS/GFS_KABE.txt

http://68.226.77.253/text/1DegGFS/GFS_KPHL.txt

(time sensitive)

the big key here will be intensity and column cooling/dynamic cooling. Seems like 850's for the latter part of the storm will be cold enough to support snow, but 925 down has a nice warm pocket. You're going to need the precip intensity to pick up to cool the column down to the surface to have any chance on the coastal plain/lower elevations. Its possible, but being on the backside of the low when cold air rushes in, it's a lot to ask for. (as is any snow chances in october).. i doubt any accums allentown south and east, but wouldnt rule out some wet flakes. Still a week out, so we'll see what happens.

My only synopsis of this storm is that it will an elevation snow for the Poconos with an occasional wet flakes and sleet for the Lehigh Valley. There is just not enough dry cold air in place to assure the entire column of air will be cooled for frozen precip

I am glad see many of you are leaning this way for this storm. What concerns me is that the Rockies are starting to get an early jump with their snow pack with this storm too. More areas of snow pack in the Rockies into the upper midwest usually leads to much colder temps for us in the late November and December.

The raw GFS takes PHL down to 33 at hour 126 and takes ABE below freezing.

http://68.226.77.253...FS/GFS_KABE.txt

http://68.226.77.253/text/1DegGFS/GFS_KPHL.txt

(time sensitive)

99% of the precip is gone by then.. the link you posted shows abe goes below after 126, when all the precip leaves...even by 132 when they are close to or below its still to warm in the other layers

On accuwx pro, just saw a snowfall forecast of 12-18".. Henry M posted, even he isn't buying it lol. What would cause the euro to go bonkers like that?

If that 12 to 18 inches came to fruition, it would be almost as damaging as Irene. Many leaves have not fallen off the trees and the tree felling problem and down power lines would be incredible suffice to say even with the snow plowing issues with municipalities and PADOT not be ready for this type of storm. I really hope they are not pushing these totals as gospel to the public and private businesses as this would be very irresponsible.

99% of the precip is gone by then.. the link you posted shows abe goes below after 126, when all the precip leaves...even by 132 when they are close to or below its still to warm in the other layers

For Philly, it's probably not going to matter...it's very likely to be rain.

At ABE the warmest the bottom layer of the atmos gets is +2.4...you get enough QPF in that and temps will drop in response. thicknesses there were 532 at 120. Snow is do-able in Allentown. My point is that it's pretty close in setup up that way.

If that 12 to 18 inches came to fruition, it would be almost as damaging as Irene. Many leaves have not fallen off the trees and the tree felling problem and down power lines would be incredible suffice to say even with the snow plowing issues with municipalities and PADOT not be ready for this type of storm. I really hope they are not pushing these totals as gospel to the public and private businesses as this would be very irresponsible.

:lol:

If anyone wants some lolz check out DT's facebook page. Some huge :weenie: posts over there. I think the upper elevations of Chester, Montco and Bucks and northwest from there could see some flakes in the air if precip is heavy enough but that's about it.

:lol:

If anyone wants some lolz check out DT's facebook page. Some huge :weenie: posts over there. I think the upper elevations of Chester, Montco and Bucks and northwest from there could see some flakes in the air if precip is heavy enough but that's about it.

You must be referring to what he has for the 12 Z ECM snowfall?

Real tough to get anything frozen below 1000 ft in October....but I do remember October 10, 1979 in Philly

Only have to go back to 2008 here locally, pics from Levittown near the Turnpike Bridge at only 25' in elevation. A few miles west & 250' back at the house had 1.2" and few miles NW of the house & 350' in Warminster they had over 2".

Also had a coating back in late Oct 2002.

Only have to go back to 2008 here locally, pics from Levittown near the Turnpike Bridge at only 25' in elevation. A few miles west & 250' back at the house had 1.2" and few miles NW of the house & 350' in Warminster they had over 2".

Ah yes, the day after game 5 of the WS had to be called for rain, they had a snow delay. I was not very popular that day in school.

Yup. Remember that event clearly.:snowman:

Archived