12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
10/29 Snowloween -- Thread 1

phlwx

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It definatly looks better. The low on the surface map is still too far east though so 925 down is too warm. Though looking at h5 the low might be too far east. Pretty nice ccb just offshore though.

I don't think its warm at the surface because the low is too far east...

Tamaqua forecast for this weekend ***as of now***.

Friday Night: A chance of snow after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday: Rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 41. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

IF, and it's a big IF, the southern stream can phase up with Rina and then phase up with the northern stream (like most of the models are showing today), I suspect we'll see this trend back west. As high TPW/low static stability air gets entrained into the developing low in the SE US, we'll likely see stronger deepening than currently indicated in the models due to non-hydrostatic processes. That would likely lead to a more negatively tilted trough and a track closer to the coast. I still don't think I-95 and east is in the game, but the Susquehanna and Lehigh Valleys are still in play, imo.

It's a pretty interesting setup in October. I might be overly optimistic about this event but it seems QPF rates would overcome boundary layer issues.

The GFS does bring some non-accumulating snow to some portions of the coastal plain. Pretty much a nasty Rain/Sleet event for all involved.

All of this falls during a 6-hour period. It does occur at mid-day/evening though, bad timing.

gfs_atlantic_084_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

I think the coating end of that area looks good. Seriously is the ground even cool enough to end up with more than a coating with this amount of snow? (if it is snow)

That doesn't matter all that much... ambient air temperature is much more important than initial ground temperature for non-paved surfaces.

That doesn't matter all that much... ambient air temperature is much more important than initial ground temperature for non-paved surfaces.

Yes... if its snowing at greater than 1" per hour then it won't matter what ground temps are. Of course, mind you that leaves and grass tend to be much closer to ambient air temps than pavement and dirt... and most places are covered in one of the former, not the latter.

Yes... if its snowing at greater than 1" per hour then it won't matter what ground temps are. Of course, mind you that leaves and grass tend to be much closer to ambient air temps than pavement and dirt... and most places are covered in one of the former, not the latter.

Yeah, sorry, should have mentioned bare dirt, too. My bad.

Honestly though how fast will the skin temps get down below 32? I'm not saying it wont stick, but it will definitely take a while with temps currently only getting down into the 40s at night (I'm in the southern poconos), a high of 50 and rain thursday, dropping down to around 28 as a low with snow. Back up to 50 on friday then down to 30 Friday night.

No doubt if it snows for a while it will stick on the grass and colder surfaces, but it will take a while. Not being bitter, I don't care if it sticks at all in October. I can't wait to see the flakes falling though!

Archived