• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
10/29 Snowloween -- Thread 1

phlwx

Someone should post 54... that's the important time step. GFS is all cold and snow at that time.

Per Wunderground, 850's are -2 to -4 north of a line from Toms River to Chester to Lancaster at hour 48. That line pushes northwards to Asbury Park-Trenton-Norristown-Lancaster at 51, and has basically the same shape at 54 but bulges a little more in Bucks County so that Trenton is slightly south, Doylestown is on that line, and Norristown is south.

Everyone north of Millville-Smyrna is still <0 850's at hr 54, but in October a -1 or -2 is definitely not going to do it without help from evaporational cooling.

However at 57, the -2 isotherm crashes back south and east, now running Seaside Heights-Millville. And Wunderground says around 0.5" that time interval. Then at 60 the 850 map is very similar with another 0.25" or so of QPF.

So per the 12z Euro it looks like at least 0.70" is snow (based off when 850's are < -2C) although I'd still generally cut that in half for actual expected totals given that precipitation type will be a constant battle and ratios will be rather low, probably 8:1 or so.

That said, I'll be plenty jealous if you guys crack 3" from an October storm.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Because I was ashamed I was drawing a snow map on Oct 27 ;)

I guess I can post it now (probably too light up in NNE, but whatevs)...

Your map says I should stay in Elko ;)

Travel plans still on hot standby... may purchase this evening since I'll still have 24 hours after that to cancel and get a full refund (I think).

Are we talking overnight with this storm or is this solely a daytime event?

Also, accumulations on grassy surfaces only i would presume?

Mainly day, ending in the evening. Evening is probably the best time for accumulations... coldest air in place at that time as the sun sets.

Mainly grassy areas though if it thumps all bets are off.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ 315 PM EDT THU OCT 27 2011 ...WINTRY WEATHER IS EXPECTED SATURDAY INTO SATURDAY EVENING... .AN EARLY SEASON COASTAL STORM WILL CAUSE POTENTIALLY HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS. NJZ001-007-008-PAZ054-055-060>062-280900- /O.NEW.KPHI.WS.A.0008.111029T1200Z-111030T0400Z/ SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-CARBON-MONROE-BERKS-LEHIGH-NORTHAMPTON- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWTON...WASHINGTON...MORRISTOWN... JIM THORPE...STROUDSBURG...READING...ALLENTOWN...BETHLEHEM... EASTON 315 PM EDT THU OCT 27 2011 ...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING. * LOCATIONS...THE SOUTHERN POCONOS...THE LEHIGH VALLEY...BERKS COUNTY...AND NORTHWESTERN NEW JERSEY. * HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW. * ACCUMULATIONS...POTENTIALLY 4 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW...WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. * TIMING...SATURDAY MORNING INTO SATURDAY EVENING. * IMPACTS...IMPAIRED TRAVEL...AND ISOLATED DOWNED TREES AND LIMBS WHICH MAY CAUSE LOCALIZED POWER OUTAGES. * WINDS...NORTH 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH. * TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 30S. * VISIBILITIES...1/2 TO 1 MILE AT TIMES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS. && $$

EC boundary layer is a torch compared to the GFS, FYI. Much, much warmer at 18Z. 850s are the same, but 925 is above freezing at TTN at 18Z. By 0Z its close to the GFS at all levels but my guess is that heaviest precip is closer to 18Z than 0Z.

I'm gonna wait.

BL may cut things down a bit but if precip is heavy enough it ain't gonna matter how "torchy" the BL is...it was in the 40's on 10/28/08 before the thump hit and temps dropped into the 30's with moderate to heavy snow.

BL may cut things down a bit but if precip is heavy enough it ain't gonna matter how "torchy" the BL is...it was in the 40's on 10/28/08 before the thump hit and temps dropped into the 30's with moderate to heavy snow.

All of a sudden you're onboard? ;)

Perhaps, but I'd like a little more certainty.

Yup. Honestly, if this ends up being anything near what 10/28 was for our area, I consider it impressive. I truly can't imagine anything more occuring than what did that day. Therefore I'll keep my expectations low and see how it plays out.

All of a sudden you're onboard? ;)

Perhaps, but I'd like a little more certainty.

:lol:

I couldn't remember 10/28's thickness level but that event is example #1 of "cold enough aloft, heavy enough precip = snow" in the textbook.

This one may be straight out of that book.

10/28-29 is the new 12/5.

:lol:

I couldn't remember 10/28's thickness level but that event is example #1 of "cold enough aloft, heavy enough precip = snow" in the textbook.

This one may be straight out of that book.

10/28-29 is the new 12/5.

You may be right. But to quote Deniro in Backdraft, "I've seen this too many times before. I wanna make sure this torch doesn't walk. I'm gonna wait." ;)

Archived