northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
10/29 Snowloween -- Thread 1

phlwx

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only about 380' AMSL here, but still am expecting anywhere from 2 to 6 inches. Even seeing flakes would begin the weenie winter! What a weekend! Snow and DAWGS football!

This could be a good analog for how snowfall accumulations look by elevation dependent not so much amounts. I remember this storm. It was raining in the morning and the mets were thinking only 1-3. Dynamics took over and sh*t hit the fan, 7-8 inches later and several large white pine branches down

020501snowmap.jpg

Think of how a storm generally occludes, moving away from the triple point of the warm, occluded and cold fronts where pressure is already naturally low and into the high pressure usually situated off to the northwest.

yea, you are correct just saw the indiv ens members, they are pretty tightly stacked...why is the baginess favored to the east? Some kind of inverted trof or what not accompany noreasters?

f48.gif

Good call, that's not a bad analog at all. Very astute.

This could be a good analog for how snowfall accumulations look by elevation dependent not so much amounts. I remember this storm. It was raining in the morning and the mets were thinking only 1-3. Dynamics took over and sh*t hit the fan, 7-8 inches later and several large white pine branches down

020501snowmap.jpg

my location had 17" during that storm and this is less than 400 feet amsl.

and not to play devil's advocate, but based on these i do not see a strict elevation difference...more of a north to south and east to west variation based on latitude and position of the low.

ABUS34 KPHL 071528

PNSPHL

PAZ054-055-060>062-067>071-NJZ001-007>010-012>026-DEZALL-

MDZ008-012-015-019-020-071800-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...FINAL

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

1030 AM EST WED FEB 7 2001

...FINAL STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL (INCHES)...

......PENNSYLVANIA......

...BERKS COUNTY...

BECHTELSVILLE 13

BLUE MARSH DAM 10.5

EAGLES POINT 13

GOUGLIERSVILLE 14

HAMBURG 6

KUTZTOWN 10

LENHARTSVILLE 8

MAPLE GROVE PARK 12

MERTZTOWN 9

MOHNTON 14.5

MORGANTOWN 10.5

READING 10

ROBESONIA 11

SINKING SPRING 11

STONEY CREEK 6

STOUCHBURG 6

...BUCKS COUNTY...

CHALFONT 14.7

DOYLESTOWN 8

FRICKS 12

FURLONG 8

LEVITTOWN 4

NESHAMINY FALLS 3

NEW HOPE 7

NEWTOWN 6.5

PIPERSVILLE 16

SELLERSVILLE 13.5

SOUTHAMPTON 9

SPRINGTOWN 18

WARRINGTON 8.3

...CARBON COUNTY...

ALBRIGHTSVILLE 11

JIM THORPE 9

LEHIGHTON 9

MECKSVILLE 10

...CHESTER COUNTY...

BERWYN 10.5

CHESTERBROOK 10

ELVERSON 10

EXTON 9

GLENMOORE 7.4

HONEYBROOK 7

KIMBERTON 11

VALLEY FORGE 6

WEST BRANDYWINE TWP 6

WEST CHESTER 5.5

...DELAWARE COUNTY...

CLIFTON HEIGHTS 5.4

CRUM CREEK 4

NEWTOWN 7.5

RADNOR 12.4

...LEHIGH COUNTY...

ALLENTOWN (CITY) 12.1

ALBURTIS 16

BREINIGSVILLE 12

COOPERSBURG 17.5

OREFIELD 13.5

SALISBURY TWP 17

SCHNECKSVILLE 14

WHITEHALL MALL 12

...MONROE COUNTY...

BLAKESLEY 10

BRODHEADSVILLE 12

BUSHKILL 13

EAST STROUDSBURG 13.5

HAMILTON TWP 13

POCONO SUMMIT 10

SAYLORSBURG 16

SCIOTA 12

SHAWNEE 12

STROUDSBURG 10.5

TOBYHANNA 8

...MONTGOMERY COUNTY...

BLUEBELL 9

EAGLEVILLE 13

GREEN LANE 8.5

HATFIELD 11

HUNTINGTON VALLEY 7

KING OF PRUSSIA 13

PALM 14

PERKIOMENVILLE 12

PLYMOUTH MEETING 8.5

POTTSTOWN 12

ROYERSFORD 9

WHITEMARSH 9

WYNNEWOOD 7.5

...NORTHAMPTON COUNTY...

BANGOR 12

BATH 13

BETHLEHEM 12

BUSHKILL TWP 14

EASTON 13

FORKS TWP 16.6

NORTHAMPTON BORO 9

PALMER TWP 17

SOUTH BETHLEHEM 16

WILLIAMS TWP 18

WIND GAP 14.0

...PHILADELPHIA...

FRNAKLIN INSTITUE 4

PHIL. INTL. AIRPORT 3

SOMERTON 5.5

......NEW JERSEY......

...ATLANTIC COUNTY...

ABSECON TRACE

ESTELLE MANOR 0.8

...BURLINGTON COUNTY...

ATSION 1.2

BORDENTOWN 3.5

BROWNS MILLS 2.7

MAPLE SHADE 2

MARLTON 2

MOORESTOWN 3

MOUNT HOLLY (NWS) 2.1

MOUNT LAUREL 2.5

...CAMDEN COUNTY...

CHERRY HILL 2

CHESILHURST 3

PENNSAUKEN 2

SOMERDALE 3.5

...CUMBERLAND COUNTY...

SEABROOK 0.6

...GLOUCESTER COUNTY...

GLASSBORO 1.7

MULLICA HILL 3

SWEDESBORO 3.5

VERGA 3.2

WEST DEPTFORD 3

...HUNTERDON COUNTY...

ALEXANDRIA 16

CALIFON 18

FLEMINGTON 13

FRENCHTOWN 17.5

KINGWOOD TWP 16

LAMBERTVILLE 10

LEBANON 10.5

RIEGELSVILLE 16.5

WHITE HOUSE STATION 11.8

...MERCER COUNTY...

HAMILTON SQUARE 4

HIGHTSTOWN 4.3

PRINCETON 2.9

WASHINGTON/S CROSSING 4.5

YARDVILLE 4

...MIDDLESEX COUNTY...

MILLTOWN 4

NEW BRUNSWICK 5

WOODBRIDGE TWP 4

...MONMOUTH COUNTY...

FREEHOLD 3.5

MANASQUAN 2

MIDDLETOWN 3.5

RED BANK 1.3

...MORRIS COUNTY...

BUTLER 16

KENVIL 16

LAKE HIAWATHA 14

LONG VALLEY 16

MADISON 11

MARCELLA 16

MILTON-OAKRIDGE 18

MORRIS PLAINS 7

PARSIPPANY 10

RANDOLPH TOWNSHIP 14

ROCKAWAY 14.5

SUCCASUNNA 14

WHIPPANY 9.5

...OCEAN COUNTY...

TOMS RIVER 1

WARETOWN 1.5

...SOMERSET COUNTY...

BASKING RIDGE 12

BLACKWELLS MILLS 5

BRANCHBURG 9

BRIDGEWATER 6.5

BRIDGEWATER 7

NESHANIC 7.5

POTTERSVILLE 9

RARITAN 7.8

SOMERVILLE 7

...SUSSEX COUNTY...

ANDOVER 16

BARRY LAKE 15.5

BRANCHVILLE 18

BYRAM TWP 16

FRANKLIN 18.5

GREEN TWP 16

HIGH POINT 18.5

HOPATCONG 12

LAFAYETTE 16

LAKE HOPATCONG 14

NEWTON 17

SPARTA 17

SPARTA II 15

STANHOPE 12

STILLWATER 19

STOCKHOLM 18

SUSSEX BORO 14

SUSSEX BORO II 12

VERNON 16

WANTAGE 17.5

...WARREN COUNTY...

BELVIDERE 20

BELVIDERE II 16.3

BLAIRSTOWN 16.5

BLAIRSTOWN II 15.5

HACKETTSTOWN 17.5

HOPE TWP 17.5

OXFORD 19

PHILLIPSBURG 13

STEWARTSVILLE 17.3

WASHINGTON BORO 18

......DELAWARE......

...NEW CASTLE COUNTY...

BEAR 0.6

WILMINGTON 2.0

NEW CASTLE AIRPORT 0.5

THANKS TO ALL OUR SPOTTERS AND COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS

FOR THESE REPORTS.

TFG

Good call, that's not a bad analog at all. Very astute.

my location had 17" during that storm and this is less than 400 feet amsl.

and not to play devil's advocate, but based on these i do not see a strict elevation difference...more of a north to south and east to west variation based on latitude and position of the low.

all the higher elevations though are located north and west of the city. Remember having elev around this region could be considered 400 ft or greater. Also, your region is 60-70 miles away from the city where you dont need as much elevation. Look at portions of delco where the higher elev that reach 500 ft in the northern part got 12-15 while southern parts less than 150 ft got 3-5. you can pretty distinctly pick out the fall line on that map.

i know i see the difference. but some people indicate elevation makes the difference when greater than 800-1000 feet. anyway, this is a super rare early season storm, so yes, elevation will matter. it was a good analog and this will be fun few days. i think there is major bust disappointment for the folks along the coastal plain the nyc thread.

and to edit, since ive lived in the lehigh valley, i have yet to see a big difference in living west of the coastal areas in terms of snowfall. usually it is the other way around, but this time could show the differences.

all the higher elevations though are located north and west of the city. Remember having elev around this region could be considered 400 ft or greater. Also, your region is 60-70 miles away from the city where you dont need as much elevation. Look at portions of delco where the higher elev that reach 500 ft in the northern part got 12-15 while southern parts less than 150 ft got 3-5. you can pretty distinctly pick out the fall line on that map.

i know i see the difference. but some people indicate elevation makes the difference when greater than 800-1000 feet. anyway, this is a super rare early season storm, so yes, elevation will matter. it was a good analog and this will be fun few days. i think there is major bust disappointment for the folks along the coastal plain the nyc thread.

and to edit, since ive lived in the lehigh valley, i have yet to see a big difference in living west of the coastal areas in terms of snowfall. usually it is the other way around, but this time could show the differences.

You're in a better spot than say, Philly...but in philly having 300-400 feet would make all the difference between a couple of inches (or more) and slush.

agreed, i can see the airport having a snow rain mix for the whole storm or changes over to a wet snow that never sticks..while 200 ft in elev gets 1-3 inches

You're in a better spot than say, Philly...but in philly having 300-400 feet would make all the difference between a couple of inches (or more) and slush.

Yep, It is extremely noticible around where I am. We have the Great Valley at 200 ft where I used to live. If you drive 3 minutes to the hill to our south everything is white with borderline storms, while the valley is all wet and slushy. And that's only a 200-300 feet difference.

Unfortunately I will be down in Sea Isle City this weekend....putting a weather station on the roof of my place at the shore.

I would imagine NW Chesco will have a little better shot at snow. Just ran the Wxsim but it is very unimpressed using the 18z data. Lots of mixing with 1 to 2 slushy inches. I would expect my location with a bit of elevation here may do pretty well. Will have to find a neighbor and compare what Iceman56 has in Glenmoore to here...Unless I can convince the wife to delay our trip till Sat night....(the life of a snow weenie!)

Should be an interesting!

Archived