e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
10/29 Snowloween -- Thread 1

phlwx

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the winter storm watches are here and I am really hoping that this does not cause a public panic in the Lehigh Valley. I still feel this will be more of a panic by the public than a two foot snowfall because many are unprepared- like nurseries still selling mums, snow plowing contracts that have not even been renewed, the public thinking snow will not be plowed on the local roads and of course the outa of bread and milk syndrome. Its one thing to gently arrive into it the snow removal season, its another to be speed into a snow bank. The biggest problem is that the leaves have not all fallen , they are piled on the side of the road for pickup and now they will be snow plows hitting and scattering those leaf piles. Some people are going to be angry but what the hell, its only snow and a potential historical snow event. I hope board members take pictures are videos and save them for their own archives. Lastly, power failures seem like a sure bet if the storm materializes. This will be a real test for PPL

Well the winter storm watches are here and I am really hoping that this does not cause a public panic in the Lehigh Valley. I still feel this will be more of a panic by the public than a two foot snowfall because many are unprepared- like nurseries still selling mums, snow plowing contracts that have not even been renewed, the public thinking snow will not be plowed on the local roads and of course the outa of bread and milk syndrome. Its one thing to gently arrive into it the snow removal season, its another to be speed into a snow bank. The biggest problem is that the leaves have not all fallen , they are piled on the side of the road for pickup and now they will be snow plows hitting and scattering those leaf piles. Some people are going to be angry but what the hell, its only snow and a potential historical snow event. I hope board members take pictures are videos and save them for their own archives. Lastly, power failures seem like a sure bet if the storm materializes. This will be a real test for PPL

We shall see. Most people I have talked did not yet know of the threat or were skeptical of what may come. I would agree though that this has the potential to bring down a lot of trees/power lines. Better gas up the ol' generator!

The NAM, GFS and even to some extent the EC are essentially on board for an unprecedented event. Once in a lifetime. Rarer than a 2 foot snowstorm, perhaps.

Well now that we are in a lull between model runs, can you recap the rarity of a "several" inch snowfall in October in the region for us, Ray?

Well now that we are in a lull between model runs, can you recap the rarity of a "several" inch snowfall in October in the region for us, Ray?

We've had accumulating snow in/around Philadelphia three times since 1979 ('79, '02, and '08).

It doesn't happen often...and '79 was the most "intense" with 1-3" of midday snow.

This could set the monthly record at PHL if everything breaks right. ;)

Back to the 1870s, the biggest snowfall at PHL in October is less than 3 inches. Same goes for Trenton. Records for Allentown only go back to the 1920s, but that far back, the same thing holds true. Biggest snowfall in Wilmington in October back to the 1890s is 3 inches. There's never been accumulating snow in Atlantic City in October back to the 1870s (though they may not be in the game in this storm). I think KU has a few October snowfalls listed and locally there may have been higher totals in the Del Valley, but I don't have KU in front of me at the moment.

Much nicer map from Mt.Holly than Iremember last year...also LV N the heck you say...

Thanks! The change was based on some customer/staff feedback. Looks like we may have to tweak the contouring some though as some of it looks rather close together. Better than the pinpoint numbers like before though.

18z NAM BUFKIT has 2.17" of liquid from the storm.

The surface (at KPNE) hits 0C at 19z, and remarkably, it stays at 0C all the way until 02z. During that period 1.41" of liquid, all all of which is theoretically snow. As expected, the bl warms again after 03z as the precip rate drops off.

All I can say is wow.

18z NAM BUFKIT has 2.17" of liquid from the storm.

The surface (at KPNE) hits 0C at 19z, and remarkably, it stays at 0C all the way until 02z. During that period 1.41" of liquid, all all of which is theoretically snow. As expected, the bl warms again after 03z as the precip rate drops off.

All I can say is wow.

That would be one hell of a thumping of wet snow!

Archived