Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
10/29 Snowloween -- Thread 1

phlwx

post-105-0-64343900-1319189192.gif

Models have been sniffing on this storm for several days in various forms and a couple of the extendo runs from the GFS had this off the coast and bringing us snow. Right now, everyone in this area gets rain on the GFS' scenario.

The 0z Euro, for s**ts and giggles, has a storm offshore about 150 miles and us sub 0 at 850...keep in mind it's late October but we've had snow in the burbs in Oct 08 when the 500 pinched off right overhead. This isn't the same scenario (merely mid level trough, no 500 mb cutoff). If the Euro played out, mike2010 and the Pocono folks could have a shot at some frozen but I think the rest of us would be cold rain.

However, this *could* be the storm that ushers in a cold enough shot to get a first frost for those in the region who avoid one this weekend (that's most everyone south of I-78).

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will only snow in the Poconos if Mike has his grill strategically placed on his deck.

Agree completely. Make sure you have a WWA ready to go for elevations at or above 2010 feet if he's got his grill lined up and the grill cam ready to go. :lol:

snow would just be limited to the pocs, the lehigh valley higher elevations and maybe down to the valley itself may mix in as the storm pulls away. Thicknesses imho are to high to support any snow anywhere else outside those areas, you need 534 or below for october, which the euro isnt showing. combine that with very marginal temps

and then there's this look:

prec.png

If any set up was gonna do this for october, it would be a fresh cold front with a wave developing and riding the boundry and deepening rapidly with the airmass still fresh. While i do think the frozen precip along the coastal plain is unlikely attm, its still has a chance. Lots at play. Pretty amplified MJO wave traversing the glove right now, which makes this coastal storm (purely synoptic, and not thermo's) have some merit.

ensplume_full.gif

and then there's this look:

you shouldn't hotlink those images...the 0z GFS drops 2" of rain. Sleet cancel. :(

With that said, 0z Euro does pop Central and Western PA with a decent snowstorm -- pretty much elevations west of I-81, with rain for us. Low track generally over Philly.

GFS about 50 miles southeast and about 12-15 hours slower with storm than EC at this point (still rain for city).

you shouldn't hotlink those images...the 0z GFS drops 2" of rain. Sleet cancel. :(

With that said, 0z Euro does pop Central and Western PA with a decent snowstorm -- pretty much elevations west of I-81, with rain for us. Low track generally over Philly.

GFS about 50 miles southeast and about 12-15 hours slower with storm than EC at this point (still rain for city).

Whoops about the hotlink!

Seems like the general theme of the 0z suite was to slow down the storm , so that by the time it arrived along the " cold" airmass ushered in behind the fropa, it has already modified, hence the rain. That, and the track clOser to the coast.

Whoops about the hotlink!

Seems like the general theme of the 0z suite was to slow down the storm , so that by the time it arrived along the " cold" airmass ushered in behind the fropa, it has already modified, hence the rain. That, and the track clOser to the coast.

The EC was generally faster with the storm..the storm pretty much was out by 12z Saturday whereas the GFS had us in the midst of the storm at that point. GFS is also a warmer solution on the whole (not as much cold to the north regardless of timing as the 0 line is clearly farther north) -- a bit less amplified.

FWIW, will be interesting how the mountains do on this...could be a pretty healthy drop of snow for the mountains to our west if the EC verifies.

The EC was generally faster with the storm..the storm pretty much was out by 12z Saturday whereas the GFS had us in the midst of the storm at that point. GFS is also a warmer solution on the whole (not as much cold to the north regardless of timing as the 0 line is clearly farther north) -- a bit less amplified.

FWIW, will be interesting how the mountains do on this...could be a pretty healthy drop of snow for the mountains to our west if the EC verifies.

Yeah, I'm not buying into the ABE snow. For a couple days now, this has looked like the typical storm you need to bring good snows to the northern and mountainous tier of PA. I could see six inches in the NC PA mountains, and several inches in the highest portions of NE PA above 2015 feet!

Yeah, I'm not buying into the ABE snow. For a couple days now, this has looked like the typical storm you need to bring good snows to the northern and mountainous tier of PA. I could see six inches in the NC PA mountains, and several inches in the highest portions of NE PA above 2015 feet!

You're not into that one GFS plume member that keeps on giving ABE about a foot of snow water equivalent?

Archived