• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 5 forecast

Ji

This thread got me to thinking, what is the probability, based on the official DC historical record, of at least a trace of snow on any winter (meteorological or astronomical; i.e., December 1-March 20) day? The answer, according to my calculations, is that it ranges from 8.0% (10 out of 125 years) on December 6th to 29.1% (37 out of 127 years) on January 8th and February 6th. December 5th checks in at 19.2%, which is one of the higher December percentages (highest is 23.2% on December 25th (Christmas)). If only measurable snow is considered, the range is zero on December 1st to 18.1% on January 25th. December 5th checks in at 8.0%, with the highest December percentage on the 26th (Boxing Day), at 11.2%. Finally, when it comes to significant snow, the probabilities go way down. If "significant" is defined as at least three inches, the range is from zero on eighteen different days to 7.1% on January 28th. December 5th is at 2.4%, with the highest December percentage on the 19th at 3.2%.

So, it's pretty daring to predict even a trace of snow on any winter day, let alone measurable or significant snow. If at least 3 inches fall at DCA this December 5th, that will be only the fourth time that much snow has fallen on that day, with the highest being 6.1 inches in 2002.

• 1 month later...

My Monday forecast is high of 63 and sunny (I was wrong about the rain)

mine's mostly cloudy and 60. these warm shots have been underforecast from range tho in recent weeks. euro is warmer aloft on tuesday tho.

Archived