joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Chasing JOVA

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

scorps

Internet says there are 8 highl toxic scorpion species in Jalisco, but that an anti-alacran serum is available in local pharmacies. A patient is advised to ice down the area, and if symptoms of a toxic scorpion sting appear, to take the serum. Apparently the serum itself triggers an immune reaction, a later administration of the serum will cause severe allergic reactions.

Centruroides noxius contains 2 forms of cobatoxin. Potassium channel blocker that can cause fatal cardiac arrythmias.

Internet says there are 8 highl toxic scorpion species in Jalisco, but that an anti-alacran serum is available in local pharmacies. A patient is advised to ice down the area, and if symptoms of a toxic scorpion sting appear, to take the serum. Apparently the serum itself triggers an immune reaction, a later administration of the serum will cause severe allergic reactions.

Centruroides noxius contains 2 forms of cobatoxin. Potassium channel blocker that can cause fatal cardiac arrythmias.

thanks. was just about to google this myself so you saved me some trouble.

Is this based on storm reports or did he communicate with anyone directly?

I haven't spoken with him since he was about to leave the Manzanilla area to head up the coast. Planned on calling me once he was up the road to get a better idea on where the center was crossing but never heard from him. Sent him a text with what appeared to be the likely area the core would cross.

Early reports are that 200 is impassable for large stretches up and down the coast so I'm speculating that given where he ended up at that he simply is 'stuck' and we might not hear from him for a spell.

they are called the twenty minute snake, because after you have been bitten, you will be dead within twenty minutes.

Partial list of Jalisco hazards:

Altitude Sickness

Amebiasis

Scorpion bites

Chagas’ Disease

Cholera

Crime/Security/Civil Unrest

express kidnappings

Driving on rural roads in Mexico is dangerous due to poor road conditions, the presence of livestock and pedestrians on roads, and inadequate street lighting and signage

Environmental Pollution

Gnathostomiasis

Hepatitis

Infuenza

Insects

Leishmaniasis

Malaria

Marine hazards: jellyfish, Portuguese Man-O-War, sharp coral, fire coral, poisonous sponges (the red fire sponge and the touch-me-not), bristle worm, sea urchins, scorpionfish, puffer fish, Moray eel, stingrays, barracudas and sharks.

Onchocerciasis

Anthrax (small outbreaks reported in Zacatecas, central Mexico)

• Brucellosis (90% of cases associated with contact with goats; greatest risk occurs in the northern and central states; chiefly from the northern districts bordering the United States and the northwestern and west-central districts; outbreak reported in March 2009 from contaminated cheese sold in the Hidalgo Market in Guanajuato)

• Coccidiomycosis (fungal respiratory infection [“valley fever”] endemic in the dry north of Baja California Norte, Sonora and Chihuahua States, and along the Pacific Coast; outbreaks have occurred in church groups from U.S. doing construction work; cough and fever are main symptoms)

• Cysticercosis and neurocysticercosis (caused by the ingestion of pork tapeworm eggs; common, especially in Guanajuato and Michocan States)

• Histoplasmosis (contact with bat guano transmits this fungal disease)

• Leptospirosis

• Lyme disease (presumably occurs)

• Relapsing fever (tick-borne; endemic in northern and central Mexico)

• Typhus (both louse- and flea-borne; reported in Chiapas State)

• Tick-borne rickettsioses (spotted fever group; reported in some rural areas; one case of human monocytic ehrlichiosis was reported in Yucatan).

rabies

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

Seabather's Eruption: Reported in and near Cancun. This condition is caused by sea anemone larvae trapped under the bathing suit. Released toxin causes skin irritation, rash, and fever.

Traveler's diahrrea

typhoid

tuberculosis

Viral encephalitis

yellow fever

Just talked with Josh. He only had a few minutes with the phone card so info is limited.

He and Jim Edds made it to Emiliano Zapata and hunkered down. Said it was some of the more intense conditions he has been in and they both thought that gusts were well over 100 kts with elevation helping out somewhat. Even mentioned that Jim said some elements were 'Charely' like and will expand on that later. Both agreed that Jova far exceeded their expectations.

Back at the resort in Manzanilla but without power and probably won't be able to update until tomorrow if he can make it back to Manzanillo. Otherwise he will try and give me a call tomorrow.

Just talked with Josh. He only had a few minutes with the phone card so info is limited.

He and Jim Edds made it to Emiliano Zapata and hunkered down. Said it was some of the more intense conditions he has been in and they both thought that gusts were well over 100 kts with elevation helping out somewhat. Even mentioned that Jim said some elements were 'Charely' like and will expand on that later. Both agreed that Jova far exceeded their expectations.

Back at the resort in Manzanilla but without power and probably won't be able to update until tomorrow if he can make it back to Manzanillo. Otherwise he will try and give me a call tomorrow.

Woot woot! Congrats Josh!

Wow! That last minute restrengthening meant business... too bad there's so little info, hopefully Josh and Jim recorded some very good footage.

Sweet! Glad he's OK! Can't wait to hear wait he has to say!

Archived