• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Chasing JOVA

That microwave pass certainly looks a lot better than last night. The shear appears to be manageable, as the significant increase in shear shown in yesterday's 12z ECMWF has not materialized. This will probably stay about steady state all the way up to landfall.

Given the southeasterly shear vector, the heaviest eyewall convection will be in an arc from NW counterclockwise to SE of the center. Taking into account the slow storm motion, the best conditions will probably be in the S-SE octant.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That microwave pass certainly looks a lot better than last night. The shear appears to be manageable, as the significant increase in shear shown in yesterday's 12z ECMWF has not materialized. This will probably stay about steady state all the way up to landfall.

Given the southeasterly shear vector, the heaviest eyewall convection will be in an arc from NW counterclockwise to SE of the center. Taking into account the slow storm motion, the best conditions will probably be in the S-SE octant.

Yep, agree, it rebounded some structure-wise, and OHC appears to be counteracting the shear... even the outflow is fair to the SE vs poor late yesterday. Depending on what recon brings home, I'd set LF intensity to that value +-5 kts

I have told Josh that the region from Chamela to Tenacatita looks like the ground zero area... it's a fairly narrow spot with good staging places... even a wobble east would be no problem... the thing is if it wobbles north, that would make the chase a bit more difficult.

The NE quad is the weakest link, hopefully it can hold until landfall, there's some dry air intruding from there... it hasn't made it to the center yet. If the strong convection to the south can wrap some of the heaviest convection and stop more dry air entrainment, we'll be all set. Recon should tell us if the eyewall is open/opening to the NE.

In La Manzanilla. The would be a truly ideal place-- a town right on the water.

Re: recon, the pressure going down a few mb is a good thing, I guess.

By the way, I've met up with Jim Edds and we're tag teaming this one. He's one of the best cameramen out there when it comes to getting storm footage-- his shots are always gorgeous-- and we have a lot of mutual respect for each other. I'm leading the way in terms of navigation, he's giving me shooting tips-- mutual benefits. :D

Looks to be a nighttime landfall-- so we're planning to use each others' headlights. We did that when we first met each other during Jimena. (Actually, I used his light. :D)

By the way, I've met up with Jim Edds and we're tagging teaming this one. He's one of the best cameramen out there when it comes to getting storm footage-- his shots are always gorgeous-- and we have a lot of mutual respect for each other. I'm leading the way in terms of navigation, he's giving me shooting tips-- mutual benefits. :D

Looks to be a nighttime landfall-- so we're planning ti use each others' headlights. We did that when we first met each other during Jimena. (Actually, I used his light. :D)

I hope you get at least some bendy palm and big surf shots before dusk.

By the way, I've met up with Jim Edds and we're tagging teaming this one. He's one of the best cameramen out there when it comes to getting storm footage-- his shots are always gorgeous-- and we have a lot of mutual respect for each other. I'm leading the way in terms of navigation, he's giving me shooting tips-- mutual benefits. :D

Looks to be a nighttime landfall-- so we're planning ti use each others' headlights. We did that when we first met each other during Jimena. (Actually, I used his light. :D)

awesome. maybe he can convince you to try the marianas some time.

In Emiliano Zapata, on the way up to Careyes, to check out that location.

Jim and I have parted ways for the time being. The poor guy landed in Guadalajara last night and has been driving since then. He needs to rest-- and also, he wants to set up and start shooting environmental shots, even before he cyclone hits. Me-- I just what to nail the center of this thing, so the scouting continues. La Manzanilla is possible, but Careyes was seeming more likely with the last update. I might return to La Manzanilla if the center stays more NE.

This is a good example of how different chasers have different goals. Jim is a top-notch videographer, and the before-storm shooting is an important part of his process. Me-- I'm not really a videographer, and I don't even turn on the camera until the cyclone is hitting.

Any weather stations with obs between MMPR and MMZO? Manzanillo is 1002 mb with light ENE winds, BTW.

With the eye obscuring, its hard to tell, but it might have taken a brief jog more to the East, staring at loops.

Yep, it looks like...it might be a mirage or a wobble... but the Euro had this kind of wobble east in the 12z run...bringing it ashore just NW of Manzanillo, and it was east of the NHC track.

Decision time for me. I'm at Careyes and the resort is closed, which is a shame, as the 2 pm PDT forecast brings the center ashore here. So my decent choices are to go 1) further up the coast, to a tiny town called Punta Perula (not even marked on Google Maps) or 2) back down to the Bay of Tenacatita, where I have a couple of options: a fancy resort at the W end or La Manzanilla on the E end.

Ed and Jorge-- thanks for the IR comments. Does that E wobble look real? (I can't loop on my iPad.) If so, I'll head back down to Bahia Tencatita.

Hi Josh...wanted to wish you a good hurricane chase. I'm about an hour north of Puerto Vallarta in San Francisco (San Pancho). Most of my preparations are done, just trying to decide if/when I should move to higher ground. My apartment is just off the beach, so it would be nice to stay and see the storm from here. I was told to expect service disruptions some time tonight, but I look forward to reading about your experience when I get back online after the storm. Good luck and enjoy.

Decision time for me. I'm at Careyes and the resort is closed, which is a shame, as the 2 pm PDT forecast brings the center ashore here. So my decent choices are 1) to go further up the coast, to a tiny town called Punta Perula (not even marked on Google Maps) or 2) back down to the Bay of Tencatita, where I have a couple of options: a fancy resort at the W end or La Manzanilla on the E end.

Ed and Jorge-- thanks for the IR comments. Does that E wobble look real? (I can't loop on my iPad.) If so, I'll head back down to Bahia Tencatita.

Download Hurricane HD app will ya, looping is great, surprised you do not have this, also you can loop at the added sat site.

Keeps dropping when you call...

No recon obs and ill defined eye making it hard for solid gauge. Still looks on track by best guesstimate.

As it stands now -

1. Emiliano Zapata till the next advisory. Then you still should have enough time to go up/down the coast as warranted unless conditions are already becoming an issue.

Archived