Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Chasing JOVA

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jova looks nice on satellite for sure. Have fun Josh!

Best of luck my friend, stay safe. Look forward to your posts.

Thanks, guys. It's cool to have some New England eyes on a cyclone way down in Mexico. :)

Well, I came here to comment on the sudden increase in symmetry and the clearing out of the eye, but it looks like you guys took care of that...

So instead I'll just say: good luck Josh!

Thanks, dude! I'll need it with this-- it's gonna be a tough one, I think. Ugh. :D

Jorge says he's cool with the ZLO plan. He pointed out that the cyclone is still moving essentially E-- not more N, like, the GFDL track would require by this point. Thanks, Jorge! :)

OTOH, 12z GFS is a tad to the left of 06z, barely clipping Cabo Corrientes :S

It has a NE track from initialization, which at hour 4 (now) hasn't materialized yet.

For yesteday's mission they started recon under the Atlantic heading on NOAA by mistake, and changed over to the East Pacific with the 20th set of observations.

I'm such an idiot. I was using the Atlantic link. There is a separate link for the EPAC and CPAC.

http://www.tropicalg...eastandcentral/

Two idiots now. I know, I know... pick the room

Recon first pass

SE quad - 114kt at 700mb, 91kt unflagged SFMR

Extrap pressure 957.0mb

NW quad - 95kt flight level, SFMR 85kt unflagged (though highest region is flagged)

URPN12 KNHC 101803

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE EP102011

A. 10/17:36:10Z

B. 16 deg 30 min N

106 deg 29 min W

C. 700 mb 2734 m

D. 92 kt

E. 123 deg 7 nm

F. 218 deg 114 kt

G. 123 deg 7 nm

H. 960 mb

I. 9 C / 3050 m

J. 16 C / 3035 m

K. 2 C / NA

L. CLOSED

M. C18

N. 12345 / 7

O. 0.02 / 1 nm

P. AF305 0210E JOVA OB 11

MAX FL WIND 114 KT SE QUAD 17:33:50Z

MAX OUTBOUND SFMR SURFACE WIND 97 KTS.

;

I'm starting to wonder whether southeasterly shear is going to be an issue with this going forward. The eyewall is pretty asymmetric based on the latest microwave imagery and the SFMR rain rates off the last center pass, with the strongest convection occurring in the southern half. Also, the 700 mb warm core on the latest SSW-NE pass is offset from the center towards the NE, potentially indicative of upshear subsidence warming resulting from a tilted vortex. The eyewall still appears closed, so I don't think the shear is detrimentally affecting Jova yet. However, the ECMWF upper level pattern just prior to landfall does seem suggestive of at least moderate southeasterly shear, which could be the mechanism responsible for the weakening depicted.

On Highway 200, heading S. I'm about to make the turn E, near Tomatlan-- so I'll be back along the coast soon.

The area S of Puerto Vallarta was tough going-- a windy, hilly, uneven road through what seemed like a rainforest-- with heavy vegetation and even a waterfall.

The road seems to have straightened out and seems a lot less interesting now, praise the Lord.

On Highway 200, heading S. I'm about to make the turn E, near Tomatlan-- so I'll be back along the coast soon.

The area S of Puerto Vallarta was tough going-- a windy, hilly, uneven road through what seemed like a rainforest-- with heavy vegetation and even a waterfall.

The road seems to have straightened out and seems a lot less interesting now, praise the Lord.

Hopefully you don't have any interesting encounters with the Mexican military or bumpkin police officers.

Archived