joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Chasing JOVA

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott--

Emiliano Zapata is a tough-looking town, let's just say. I mean, except for the highway going through it, all of the "streets" are uneven dirt. I tried to explore, and it was hard on the car-- not to mention I was constantly worried about hitting the chickens and dogs walking across the street. I'm just of sure it's a viable location.

Hmmm.

I'm back in La Manzanillo. It has a cozy, comfortable feel. A nice town with extremely friendly locals. Hanging with Jim in a pleasant hotel, trying to decide next steps.

Scott--

Emiliano Zapata is a tough-looking town, let's just say. I mean, except for the highway going through it, all of the "streets" are uneven dirt. I tried to explore, and it was hard on the car-- not to mention I was constantly worried about hitting the chickens and dogs walking across the street. I'm just of sure it's a viable location.

Hmmm.

I'm back in La Manzanillo. It has a cozy, comfortable feel. A nice town with extremely friendly locals. Hanging with Jim in a pleasant hotel, trying to decide next steps.

Just thinking since you were there hanging out till the next advisory. Either way you have plenty of time to head back up the coast if needed. :)

Call me whenever. Should be able to pick you up.

I'm in La Manzanilla still. I was going to head up to the Punta Serena resort at the W end of the Bay, because it'll be a little closer to the landfall point. But that reality is on cliffs, well above the sea... And as I was getting in the car to leave La Manzanilla, the thundering of the waves right next to the downtown area kind of seduced me into staying. So I quickly checked into the hotel, threw on some athletic-wear, and ran out onto the beach to shoot the surf. It was dusk, but I got some OK footage. It's raining like crazy and the town is flooding, but the wind only comes in spurts, separated by calms.

By the way, I'm using my waterproof housing for the first time and its awesome. I was walking around in torrential rains with no harm to the camera. Awesome.

It's important to me to get in the core of the cyclone, so I'm thinking I might make another excursion up the coast as it nears. Emiliano Zapata is looking like the likely target if the center comes ashore at Cuitzmala, since the coast is inaccessible in that area.

Thanks for the encouraging words, Steve.

I enjoy the unique challenges that each chase, brings-- and the war stories I can tell afterward. If each cyclone came right to me as I sat in my cozy armchair, this wouldn't be the awesomely-cool extreme sport that it is.

:)

Why so harsh, just observing loops etc, not trying to be a downer. 15 miles is not much, great luck dude. Just observed a wobble that may mean tons to you. I will shut up.

Why so harsh, just observing loops etc, not trying to be a downer. 15 miles is not much, great luck dude. Just observed a wobble that may mean tons to you. I will shut up.

Josh: Very challenging to know the exact landfall;

the current animation of color-enhanced IR from msfc.gov

indicates that the entire central overcast has become more

circular and symmetrical and that the central circulation

just recently wobbled east toward the coast....wobbles

within wobbles...

Josh: Very challenging to know the exact landfall;

the current animation of color-enhanced IR from msfc.gov

indicates that the entire central overcast has become more

circular and symmetrical and that the central circulation

just recently wobbled east toward the coast....wobbles

within wobbles...

Yeah, its especially tough without radar. Grrrrr. I think I need to head up the coast as the core comes in. I want to get in that eye!

I'm looking at the animation at msfc.gov and feel it is

not going to cross the coast more than 20 miles west

of Manzanillo, in fact there is an airport on the coast

Playa d'Oro and a town nearby, La Cienega, that would

be ground zero in my opinion.

From that point up to Melaque looks like it will be the landfall area.

Josh might be lucky, it looks like there's a bout of strengthening just prior to LF, which appears to occur in about 1 hour. MWs from SSMIS and TRMM (1:20 hours apart, and 3.5 hours ago) show very slight improvement, with a strengthening eyewall trend. Extrapolating that with the increasingly better looking IR, I may assume eyewall is, if not closed, very close to be. No more MWs until after landfall :(, so IR is all what's left now (no radar, and very probably no surface obs, until Josh gets back)

TUbj5.jpg

There's a tilt on that map.... you can calibrate it with the SSDs one, or loop the MSFC one... it looks like it's going into that small Careyes bay.

Yeah. I had sent him a text right after he left to shoot for somewhere between Careyes and Punta Puerla/Chamela. Not sure if he got it but feel optimistic that he was gonna head further N then EZ.

Archived