• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Ticking Down the Days

moneypitmike

Kevin gets well more than the 33", though he is most often the runner-up in any given storm in relation to the ORH reading. Kevin--you may dispute this comment......

He definitely averages more than 33. In fact, the 33 average is due largely because of typical NCDC low-balling. Much of the NW part of the state averages 60+ compared to the NE side of the state where maybe a few select spots along I-84 near the MA border average that much. Also, there is quite a bit more elevation in the NW, and some of the higher spots closer to the CT/MA/NY border probably average 80-100 inches/year.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are nights where my home temp is 8 or 9 lower than school lol

This is a more detailed breakdown, though keep in mind these are winter (DJF) averages over half a dozen stations in each part of the state.

AVG   AVG   AVG   MAX   MIN    MIN
       HI    LOW   TEMP  <=32  <=10   <=0
------------------------------------------
NW CT   35.2  16.5  25.9  32.9  24.8   7.6
NE CT   37.4  17.9  27.6  27.1  20.6   5.5
------------------------------------------
NE-NW   +2.2  +1.4  +1.7  -5.8  -4.2  -2.1

In the spirit of full disclosure, the Home Depot thermometer I bought to 'get me by' while the DP2 is being repaired had a 6:00a.m. temp of 83* today and currently has me at 90*.

So clearly, that historical data I posted is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off.

Does Weather Underground let you edit the data? I'd consider submitting my data there if it were possible to just send in the daily climo numbers (hi/lo/precip) if I could go back and edit if needed rather than have wrong data permanently stored.

Does Weather Underground let you edit the data? I'd consider submitting my data there if it were possible to just send in the daily climo numbers (hi/lo/precip) if I could go back and edit if needed rather than have wrong data permanently stored.

No--that was purely a joke. The HD piece of crap is not transmitting anything. I lost by Davis to a lightning strike two weeks ago.

No--that was purely a joke. The HD piece of crap is not transmitting anything. I lost by Davis to a lightning strike two weeks ago.

I figured that. Do you send your data in to WU? For some reason I thought you did, that's why I was wondering what the capabilities of the site were. There's a ton of bad data from those home stations because they often can send garbage numbers for long periods of time before said station owner notices it and fixes it thus rendering a not insignificant percentage of WU data useless. I know there's a few of us that take pride in maintaining an accurate record of local climate, but there's no central place to put that data really, and it probably would be more useful than many of the co-op sites sponsored by the NWS/NCDC.

LMAO--I'm consistent with neighboring stations. I'm sited at 2m in the sun. Granted, I don't have a fan so I might run a little warm.

Yeah, the temps out here vary greatly within even a few hundred feet of elevation. This can easily be seen on the car thermometer going just a few miles. In fact my house generally runs several degrees cooler than downtown Greenfield and I'm only 4 miles and 200' higher. There may be some other topographical influences besides just elevation that cause this. Maybe because the valley narrows up here?

I don't think people realize this part of GC is only 10 miles form the VT border.

I figured that. Do you send your data in to WU? For some reason I thought you did, that's why I was wondering what the capabilities of the site were. There's a ton of bad data from those home stations because they often can send garbage numbers for long periods of time before said station owner notices it and fixes it thus rendering a not insignificant percentage of WU data useless. I know there's a few of us that take pride in maintaining an accurate record of local climate, but there's no central place to put that data really, and it probably would be more useful than many of the co-op sites sponsored by the NWS/NCDC.

My readings are transmitted directly from my Davis to the internet. I don't think I've seen any erroneous readings coming through my monitoring station. Transmitted? Can't say for sure. I know when I look at those highs fro the summer, there's nothing that jumps out as crazy. I know I had the two days where I hit 90-91 and I know the last 80 was on Aug 7.

Yeah, the temps out here vary greatly within even a few hundred feet of elevation. This can easily be seen on the car thermometer going just a few miles. In fact my house generally runs several degrees cooler than downtown Greenfield and I'm only 4 miles and 200' higher. There may be some other topographical influences besides just elevation that cause this. Maybe because the valley narrows up here?

I don't think people realize this part of GC is only 10 miles form the VT border.

Absolutely. The funny thing is when you climb up Route 2, out of Greenfield, there typically isn't any change the first mile up to the lookout tower. Once you get about 1/4 mile further up the hill, the temp begins a steady drop. If you take the back way up Old Shelburne Rd (or whatever it's called) which is closer to you, the drop begins much earlier.

Not that it really matters, but as far as GC goes, I guess it goes up to the border and beyond, I'm 8 miles as the crow flies--I imagine your're under 10 if you do the same. Kevin's right near the VT border, too.

For Steve, on Morrissey blvd in Dorchester which is prone to coastal flooding...there are signs warning of the road possibly being closed due to high astronomical tides from now through Saturday.

SOS... Sultan of Sandbags all over it

Off shore winds helping out? Would have been nice to have a Noreaster raging, I love Scituates pics. Thanks SOS Sultan of Sleet

The average winter temperature across the six NW CT climate sites is 25.9F while the five NE CT climate sites average 27.6F. That's a 1.7F difference over a three month period, so it's not just slightly colder, it's significantly so in my opinion. The annual average snowfall is 63 vs. 33 inches. Granted snowfall data can be a little iffy, so I suspect the gap isn't quite this wide, and the NE average should be a bit higher, but the NW definitely has a large advantage in snowfall as well. Note these will not be the same as NCDC climate divisional normals since NE CT is considered climatologically homogenous with central CT (CT-2) while NW CT has its own climate zone (CT-1) that lines up perfectly with MA-1 which exclusively covers the Berkshires of W MA.

I have to disagree with these statements. It depends on where the stations are. The area that you would consider the "north central" part of northeastern CT is very different from the rest of NE CT. It's much hillier here and the elevations are a lot higher. Hills are regularly over 1,000' and top out at 1,315'.

My average winter temperature (DJF) over the past 27 years is 26.5°F which is only 0.7° above the NW stations average. My average snowfall is 57.9"....a lot more than 33" and about 5" below the NW CT average. The highest town in out area, Union, has spots where people live over 1,200'.

The region as a whole may be similar to central CT, but a lot of climate maps will show that I have more in common with the central ORH hills that Hartford in central CT.

I have to disagree with these statements. It depends on where the stations are. The area that you would consider the "north central" part of northeastern CT is very different from the rest of NE CT. It's much hillier here and the elevations are a lot higher. Hills are regularly over 1,000' and top out at 1,315'.

My average winter temperature (DJF) over the past 27 years is 26.5°F which is only 0.7° above the NW stations average. My average snowfall is 57.9"....a lot more than 33" and about 5" below the NW CT average. The highest town in out area, Union, has spots where people live over 1,200".

The region as a whole may be similar to central CT, but a lot of climate maps will show that I have more in common with the central ORH hills that Hartford in central CT.

Right..simply lumping the high hills of NE CT where we live in with the rest of NE CT is not a valid comparison. Our wex is very similiar to that of NW Ct or W Ma. Sure we avg a bit less snowfall than them and they get more severe..but temps are very close. Our areas avgs close to 60 inches of snow..that 33 is laughable

Right..simply lumping the high hills of NE CT where we live in with the rest of NE CT is not a valid comparison. Our wex is very similiar to that of NW Ct or W Ma. Sure we avg a bit less snowfall than them and they get more severe..but temps are very close. Our areas avgs close to 60 inches of snow..that 33 is laughable

"Our wex is very similiar to that of NW Ct or W Ma"

Nope

"..but temps are very close"

Nope

"..that 33 is laughable"

Yup.

just looking at the data in NCDC you can see how skewed it is, Mansfield Hallow/Thompson Lake averaging less than some SE CT stations, not likely. That data, Smoke some Met Herb posted is spot on. Living in this area we know the spots. Your area and Stafford Springs get dumped on. Thompson, Woodstock and East Killingly do too. In fact East Killingly right next to Foster RI might be the snowiest spot in ECT similar to Tolland ( they tend to not get pelted in SW flow Events)

My average winter temperature (DJF) over the past 27 years is 26.5°F which is only 0.7° above the NW stations average. My average snowfall is 57.9"....a lot more than 33" and about 5" below the NW CT average. The highest town in out area, Union, has spots where people live over 1,200".

I get what you're saying, but you're talking about one specific point in the state whereas my averages are scattered about a wider area and range of elevations which is more indicative of the regional climate than just picking one of the highest spots in a region. It would be like using the highest point in NW CT (over 2,300 ft) to say that the NW averages 100 inches or more of snow and has an average winter time temperature around 20. I wouldn't use that to represent the climate of NW CT, and using Union or the few high spots in NE CT that might compete with average NW CT weather is not representative either. For the sake of transparency, the average elevation of the NW stations is 707 ft with a range of 260-1340. In the NE the average was 453 ft with a range of 247-736.

My average winter temperature (DJF) over the past 27 years is 26.5°F which is only 0.7° above the NW stations average. My average snowfall is 57.9"....a lot more than 33" and about 5" below the NW CT average. The highest town in out area, Union, has spots where people live over 1,200'.

I know there are a few that are around a 1,000 feet and about one or two that are at 1200 (just SW of Union). Where exactly is the 1315'?

Archived