Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Ticking Down the Days

moneypitmike

Don't rub it in.

I just snapped a couple pictures here at the Pit. While we're a few days off of Pete, these are really showing how drab they are here compared to those further south by him (and north I imagine). I don't think these will be captured well, but I took a couple that I tried to highlight how crappy these leaves are. They are going yellow and then brown right on the trees. Lots of them dorpping as you can seem some are quite bare and others are certainly thinning. I wonder how they'll be after the upcoming rains.

Meanwhile, getting pelted by leaves as I sit here.

Sounds (and looks) a lot like my area. I was told by a fellow sugamaker that there is some fungus effecting the maple leaves this year because of all the moisture we've had of late. I have one tree in my yard just about bare. Co-workers here in Springfield can't believe I'm already working on yard clean-up.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a snowy area no doubt. man that 2002 sticks out like a sore weenie. What an awful, awful winter that was. I remember we ha that one early Dec snowfall mixed in with weeks of 70 degree days

That was about when I started geting back into all things meteorology. A buddy of mine kept asking when it was going to get cold and snowy...I kept saying the pattern was going to change soon but when it didn't, I had to really start looking into what was going on. It never came. 2002 wound up being my warmest year in 25 years because of that winter!

That whole season stunk...we had one night in late October in the 60s for a low and the coldest temp the whole winter was 9°. I hope that never repeats!

Hmmm....I'm just north of Stafford Springs and here's what I've received for the past 25 seasons (I know it's not a full 30 years). If you average the seasons, it comes out to 58.8" but if sum up the average of the individual months, it's 57.9". I'm not sure if that's helpful or not in figuring out an average.

1987 61.1

1988 67.0

1989 21.8

1990 48.9

1991 27.9

1992 30.0

1993 72.4

1994 75.9

1995 27.8

1996 133.3

1997 78.1

1998 42.4

1999 50.3

2000 36.0

2001 93.3

2002 16.8

2003 86.8

2004 60.3

2005 79.5

2006 67.6

2007 31.4

2008 54.9

2009 63.6

2010 53.4

2011 90.8

63.4 since 2001,

Burley Hill - It doesn't show up right on Google Maps:

http://maps.google.c...=p&z=15&vpsrc=6

Here it is on an olderUSGS quad:

http://docs.unh.edu/MA/wale52sw.jpg - Look in the lower left of the image and you should see it.

http://docs.unh.edu/MA/wale52se.jpg

And one to the south of that:

http://docs.unh.edu/CT/wtfd52nw.jpg

http://docs.unh.edu/CT/wtfd52ne.jpg

Thanks--are there houses up there?

Sounds (and looks) a lot like my area. I was told by a fellow sugamaker that there is some fungus effecting the maple leaves this year because of all the moisture we've had of late. I have one tree in my yard just about bare. Co-workers here in Springfield can't believe I'm already working on yard clean-up.

My daughter had to bring in a bag of "signs of fall" for school. So, of course we went out to look for leaves. We sure had tons on the ground to choose from except they were all lousy choices. Dry, brown things. Awful.

We haven't had much moisture up here aside from the two big rains. I'm pretty certain this is due to the dry summer we had here.

Thanks--are there houses up there?

No...the highest house I know of abuts the land where I have a sugarbush. He's around 1,250'. We're trying to figure something out to get a thermometer/hygrometer up there so I can monitor temps in the bush and know when to pick up sap in the spring. We had a connection working but it failed....finding something that consistantly works is proving problematic. In any event, if I can get it to work, it might give us something to look at this winter.

You can see where it is here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.985717,-72.194338&spn=0.030368,0.087547&t=p&z=14&vpsrc=6

My sugarbush is on the north facing slope going down from there.

Last year's pic?

taken 9/25/10, we're at the same place right now but less vibrant color.

LOL..I love how he posts pics from other yrs and claims they are current. There is nowhere anywhere in NEw England that is at peak color like that. Even in NNE

You are a dork and don't live at far enough north or at high enough elevation to know what you are talking about. I will take pics the next day or so to shut you up. Wait, that's impossible.

To be fair... that color looks about right for 2,000-3,000ft in the northern Greens right now. Maybe even down to 1,500ft plateaus or so.

Didn't see the pics in question but we're rapidly approaching peak, out here in the hills anyway. Not so of course down in the valley.

Actually, we've had a pretty heavy leaf-drop already this year....

Quite a wet day here, we're working on 1.75" rain for the day and locked in at 67f...

Wow--had no idea you got that much!

Didn't see the pics in question but we're rapidly approaching peak, out here in the hills anyway. Not so of course down in the valley.

Actually, we've had a pretty heavy leaf-drop already this year....

Leaves are pelting down here. Foliage season a total bust. I can only imagine what it will be like after the upcoming rains.

Leaves are pelting down here. Foliage season a total bust. I can only imagine what it will be like after the upcoming rains.

Very drab, leaves are dropping incredibly fast. Many of the maples are just about done. All this and Blizz thinks everything is green and it's an endless summer.

It started early this morning (5am or so) with some tiny convective showers and has been on and off all day at varying intensities. Every time it seems to dry up on radar, it redevelops....interesting day. Reminds me of the January 7th 2011 Norlun that crushed the area in a very localized fashion....

And the main action now has shifted east....some pretty impressive totals I'm sure by tomorrow morning.

^^ Agreed. One of our more drab years in recent memory. It was snowing leaves last night once the southwesterlies kicked in. After dark I could hear the constant rustle-tick as the leaves fell through the limbs and onto the ground.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking there's an early drop taking place.

^^ Agreed. One of our more drab years in recent memory. It was snowing leaves last night once the southwesterlies kicked in. After dark I could hear the constant rustle-tick as the leaves fell through the limbs and onto the ground. Ash, maple, basswood, hornbeam....

Yup, they're going to be down in no time at this rate. After the second frost here they just started raining down. I have a Black Walnut that started losing them in late August. It's a healthy tree but every morning my truck is covered if I leave it out.

Yuck--I might hit 70 today. I hope that might be averted. Since my station is down, I'll have to keep my eyes focused on the Tolland ones as proxy since their weather is the same as GC. :)

Not too confident in any thunder here in spite of the possibility. More likely just some leaf-clearing rains ftl.

Archived