wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Katia tracking and discussion thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If mother nature has any sense of caring, this thing will curve far away from us. With the amount of trouble people are having with getting power back and fixing houses from a strong tropical storm, I can't imagine what it would be like with a legitimate hurricane.

Its a crappy pattern with the position of that longwave trough. I have almost no interest in this storm at the moment. The trough will have to go nuclear ala 1938 for this to affect us I think.

Yeah, It looks like crap right now as far as anyone looking for it to make it up here, Even as far as seeing any rough surf, It hooks off at the carolina's lat..

If mother nature has any sense of caring, this thing will curve far away from us. With the amount of trouble people are having with getting power back and fixing houses from a strong tropical storm, I can't imagine what it would be like with a legitimate hurricane.

The problem is, like the honey badger, Mother Nature doesn't give a sh!t.

gfs has trended ever so slightly west, experimental FIM is a weenies dream, even though there is troughiness over the GL/NE, there will be ridges building in between, and if any trough digs far enough to the sw and is strong, well, all options are still on the table. Its all about timing, regardless it looks wet and humid the first two weeks of september. Lots of fun stuff going on right now, including the GOM, stalled fronts and the tropics.

The footsteps are getting louder, models shifting westward, cane cane cane cane cane cane cane cane cane cane cane cane :weight_lift:

The trough will have to go nuclear ala 1938 for this to affect us I think.

I am wondering if the second shortwave verifies less amped and stays mostly bottled up north we'd be more likely to be affected. Is there really a lot impetus for such re-amplification once the first trough at day 5 moves offshore?

In the winter the raging GOA low and general Canadian LP is a signal for a zonal regime...

18z op gfs is creamy............I can hear the drumbeat now.......katia.........katia.............katia........katia

This is Earl written all over.. we should post link to Earl thread... I'm the biggest weenie and I'm even not that excited yet

18z gfs almost pull's off Will's miracle trough merger...but the active northern stream beats down the North Atlantic ridge too much..otherwise that's kinda what you want.

I've been reading what you're saying on the main threads. Interesting and I agree. Without stirring the irritable over there I'm just kind of shocked anyone is speaking as if they know for certain what'll happen in 8 or 9 days when some of the best mets around Boston are saying it's about 3 days too early to make a call.

Models are hinting west, and in reality the 18z GFS is so close now it's a concern.

I've been reading what you're saying on the main threads. Interesting and I agree. Without stirring the irritable over there I'm just kind of shocked anyone is speaking as if they know for certain what'll happen in 8 or 9 days when some of the best mets around Boston are saying it's about 3 days too early to make a call.

Models are hinting west, and in reality the 18z GFS is so close now it's a concern.

I agree, the certainty of forecasting ten days in that thread seems odd, and a bit harsh, nevertheless..........a deeper trough to the sw or a missed trough with a quick building ridge keeping westerlies at bay to the north could threaten the ECONUS. Likely a fish? perhaps, but seems odd to speak in certainties at this early stage.

I agree, the certainty of forecasting ten days in that thread seems odd, and a bit harsh, nevertheless..........a deeper trough to the sw or a missed trough with a quick building ridge keeping westerlies at bay to the north could threaten the ECONUS. Likely a fish? perhaps, but seems odd to speak in certainties at this early stage.

Do you really believe anyone can accurately forecast 10 days from now?

Saying Katia is going to "miss" is like saying fall is coming. If it misses by 75 miles they're right, if it misses by 750 they're right.

I trust the Boston TV mets that have been here for 30+ years that are honestly saying they do not yet think it's a threat but that it is slowly getting a little more dodgy.

The idea of a trough/UA perhaps being somewhere over the MS Valley as this thing is off the coast is interesting in Will's nuclear scenario ala 1938. In a day or two if it doesn't look any more threatening great...but with the timing differences being what they are at D4-6 I just don't see how anyone can speak with absolute certainty that things won't play out differently.

Saying Katia is going to "miss" is like saying fall is coming. If it misses by 75 miles they're right, if it misses by 750 they're right.

I trust the Boston TV mets that have been here for 30+ years that are honestly saying they do not yet think it's a threat but that it is slowly getting a little more dodgy.

The idea of a trough/UA perhaps being somewhere over the MS Valley as this thing is off the coast is interesting in Will's nuclear scenario ala 1938. In a day or two if it doesn't look any more threatening great...but with the timing differences being what they are at D4-6 I just don't see how anyone can speak with absolute certainty that things won't play out differently.

Is anyone really doing this?

No, I do not, I was taken back that a professional met said it was easy once you had gotten the hang of it.

Yea this is what makes it interesting... This scenario is REALLY confusing as whatever the gulf low does, will affect Katia. Its really interesting and its awesome that we get to watch this on a 4 day weekend (at least for me)

Speaing of sucking... how are SSTs after Irene sucked up all of the warm goodness? Have they rebounded at all?

There was a post yesterday I believe about how the SSTs rebounded nicely after Irene. However, wouldn't Katia take a much different track than Irene? Kinda like a 1938 track?

Archived