joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Katia tracking and discussion thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it'll become amajor cane over the next few days. Some modelling has it re-curving before reaching the EC. Those same models also recurved Irene. Chances are better that this one does recurve, but we'll see.

Check the main thread for TS Katia...mets wet-blanketing possibility of ANY landfall. lol

Looks like it'll become amajor cane over the next few days. Some modelling has it re-curving before reaching the EC. Those same models also recurved Irene. Chances are better that this one does recurve, but we'll see.

The bolded is not true at all, but everything else stands.

I thought the GFS way out had taken it OTS before locking on an east coast hit.. Euro had it into the Gulf for a few runs

GFS was always adamant about a landfall, but like the euro had some Gulf runs. I don't recall how many runs in a row from the beginning showed a U.S. landfall, but GaWx would know.

Check the main thread for TS Katia...mets wet-blanketing possibility of ANY landfall. lol

constantly contentious tone in that thread.. not much fun

I thought Don S's post was a good inventory check on this system.

If it can avoid the statistically favored recurve we might be in business.

I told non weather people asking me about it that it was far out and to ask again in a week if it's still out there. It's natural for people to take extra note of the next threat after a hit.

Let's not forget the huge pool of cool water stirred up by Irene:

http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2011/anomnight.8.29.2011.gif

Any TC in a position to get the East Coast the way Irene did pretty much HAS to go through it. The track record is not good for second canes going through cool SSTs left behind by initial systems. If Katia misses it east it's probably too far east for all but an insanely neg tilt trough to pick it up and fling it at us.

recurve city. odds are way stacked against us...I think we're down to 24% of storms in this position having made US landfall? Lots of time to go though

Good. Let's have calm warm days for two weeks, then some cool calm weeks, maybe a little rain, then by mid October we can start tracking the 384 hour gfs for something other then the tropics. thumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gif

I strongly agree. Some of the earlier guidance and also a few of the hurricane models have occasionally bent the storm back to the west. Indeed, NHC was concerned about such a possibility in last night's 11 pm discussion. there's somewhat of a subtle hint on both the 12z UKMET and GFDL about perhaps somewhat of a turn more to the west, but we'll see.

Hopefully, the cold front will pick it up and sweep it out to sea.

Archived