joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Katia tracking and discussion thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pictures in Vermont aren't enough for you? Give it a rest, dude....when it happens to you then you won't wish for it so much.

I agree. People calling for this to happen most likely never experienced it first hand. If they did they wouldn't be wishing for it. Calling for more devastation and flooding 72 hours after a hurricane killed 43 and wiped towns off the map is in very poor taste.

If we should be "worried" about anything it's more of the Gulf potentially heating up and getting activity going there. Really hope nobody is really investing alot of time in Katia or anything else that develops in the eastern Atlantic b/c the upcoming weather pattern is one that is going to be very hard to predict, even as little as 3-4 days out. Ridging will continue to develop in the western US as well as across the south but here in the Northeast/Upper mid-west appears as if we'll begin seeing a series of troughs/cold fronts work through.

If anything, anything that gets going in the Gulf could work through the southeastern US and we'd feel impacts with lots and lots of tropical moisture and boatloads of rain. Strong ridging which continues to hold strong in the central Atlantic with ridging to the west of us and troughiness here in the Northeast screams potential for some very heavy rainfall at some point.

Dude - you ARE Blizz24, he's just better cause he only pops up once in a while. Advice from a longtime lurker....lurk more post less !!

The pictures in Vermont aren't enough for you? Give it a rest, dude....when it happens to you then you won't wish for it so much.

I agree. People calling for this to happen most likely never experienced it first hand. If they did they wouldn't be wishing for it. Calling for more devastation and flooding 72 hours after a hurricane killed 43 and wiped towns off the map is in very poor taste.

I agree with all of this but its a double standard, in the Irene tracking thread those who were just stating facts as Irene was weakening were labeled, trolls or being negative, people were outwardly calling for devestation. Now, after the devestation people sing a different tune, you cant have it both ways. This was only a tropical storm at landfall with copious amount of rain and an impressive surge timed with astro high tides. This battle will never end. Looking at the pics is gutwrenching, but as soon as the next cane threatens, the calls for a direct hit will be loud and clear, after all the excuse is we have no control over the weather!

For those that lost much, those crys will be dampened, but for most that lost only a tree or were without power for a day or two the cry will bounce off Georges Bank for area wide destruction and catastrophic damage.

The beat goes on.

I agree with all of this but its a double standard, in the Irene tracking thread those who were just stating facts as Irene was weakening were labeled, trolls or being negative, people were outwardly calling for devestation. Now, after the devestation people sing a different tune, you cant have it both ways. This was only a tropical storm at landfall with copious amount of rain and an impressive surge timed with astro high tides. This battle will never end. Looking at the pics is gutwrenching, but as soon as the next cane threatens, the calls for a direct hit will be loud and clear, after all the excuse is we have no control over the weather!

For those that lost much, those crys will be dampened, but for most that lost only a tree or were without power for a day or two the cry will bounce off Georges Bank for area wide destruction and catastrophic damage.

The beat goes on.

I said the storm was weakening and always wanted it to go OTS. Although I recognized its weakness and was saying since Thursday it would hit as a TS I never once said it wasn't a serious situation. I like the weather and am fascinated by it. I do recognize the serious implications of severe wx and would never wish it on anyone. I don't like to see it happen to others or IMBY. Those of you wanting and rooting for devastation can spin it all you want. It doesn't make your reasoning any better. That is NOT was this forum is about. It's about learning about wx and discussing weather, not hoping for death and destruction. Must be real easy to say though when it isn't your house or your family.

I said the storm was weakening and always wanted it to go OTS. Although I recognized its weakness and was saying since Thursday it would hit as a TS I never once said it wasn't a serious situation. I like the weather and am fascinated by it. I do recognize the serious implications of severe wx and would never wish it on anyone. I don't like to see it happen to others or IMBY. Those of you wanting and rooting for devastation can spin it all you want. It doesn't make your reasoning any better. That is NOT was this forum is about. It's about learning about wx and discussing weather, not hoping for death and destruction. Must be real easy to say though when it isn't your house or your family.

I agree, I was told I was being negative giving updates from the NHC, until mother nature delivers the ultimate blow to a persons back yard the calls will continue. Having said that, it was a once in a lifetime experience to be chest high in the surge last weekend, I took a couple risks that were questionable especially finding a way to someones seawall to take pics, but it was really intense. Of course the afterthought is all the people displaced from there homes and the hardship they are encountering, not just a tree down or loss of power for a couple days which are superficial.

SnowNH is a :weenie: to the extreme, yes, but are we really going to discuss the ethics of meteorology again?

:deadhorse:

I agree, I have learned my lesson, there is no place for morality on a weather board, bottom line is we are all here because we love weather.............EXCITING weather, case closed.

gfs has trended ever so slightly west, experimental FIM is a weenies dream, even though there is troughiness over the GL/NE, there will be ridges building in between, and if any trough digs far enough to the sw and is strong, well, all options are still on the table. Its all about timing, regardless it looks wet and humid the first two weeks of september. Lots of fun stuff going on right now, including the GOM, stalled fronts and the tropics.

Holy crap the 18z GFS is interesting flooding wise, then cane wise.

a stalled front hammers the NE 84-140.

Then Lee and Katia almost kiss near the SC coast.

Could Lee/Katia attract towards each other like the GFS has?

This is something I think we have to worry about more...forget Katia.

The upcoming pattern could be one favoring stalled fronts and as I mentioned a page back or so we have to watch any development in the Gulf or anything that goes into or develops in the Caribbean b/c we could see a pattern setup which drives moisture from these areas northward right into our region. We saw something similar last fall I believe.

Holy crap the 18z GFS is interesting flooding wise, then cane wise.

a stalled front hammers the NE 84-140.

Then Lee and Katia almost kiss near the SC coast.

Could Lee/Katia attract towards each other like the GFS has?

"Billy what are you DOING these storms are COLLIDING you're heading into the middle of the MONSTER...":P

The beat goes on.

They need to start instantly 5\daying anyone burdening these threads with morality concerns; destruction is a necessary compoent of life and it is going to happen, so give it a rest.

This "Coudsnccontrails" especially just does not get it.

While it looks fishy, there are some interesting model challenges down the road. If you believe the GFS, it misses the first trough and then gets picked up by the massive ULL that forms over the southeast. But look how strong that ULL is. If you buy the GFS, that massive ULL and a 594 decameter ridge to the east makes it somewhat of an eye opener, but that is sort of a pipe dream for now. If you want to weenie out, than you want that NHC track to keep shifting wsw. If this thngs becomes major and gets tugged poleward, than yes it will probably be one heck of a storm over the Titanic.

They need to start instantly 5\daying anyone burdening these threads with morality concerns; destruction is a necessary compoent of life and it is going to happen, so give it a rest.

This "Coudsnccontrails" especially just does not get it.

We don't always agree but this is spot-on.

The worst is hypocrisy when winter fiends complain of morality when they also want and wish for 5' of snow...where people die in vehicles, skiing, snowboarding, avalanches, people are stranded, coastline is lost....etc.

The GOM system will warrant the most attention.

Yeah in the near term it will, definitely. I do think that Katia is probably a fish storm, but it actually would not take a huge change in the upper air pattern to steer her more west, especially if she takes her time to strengthen. Anyways it just boils down to some interesting time for the tropical weenies.

We don't always agree but this is spot-on.

The worst is hypocrisy when winter fiends complain of morality when they also want and wish for 5' of snow...where people die in vehicles, skiing, snowboarding, avalanches, people are stranded, coastline is lost....etc.

Bri, water under the bridge....we're fine.

I agree with you RE winter....folks are going to die....no one is immortal...news flash. I will say this, though....most snow related deaths are more of the preventable variety.

You deal with it is as best you can, dust yourself off and carry on.

Yeah in the near term it will, definitely. I do think that Katia is probably a fish storm, but it actually would not take a huge change in the upper air pattern to steer her more west, especially if she takes her time to strengthen. Anyways it just boils down to some interesting time for the tropical weenies.

Nail-on-the-weenie....no one aside from the morality poilice should want this is a powerful hurricane to the east of the windward islands.

Archived