northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
September 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OT but thinking about doing a good blog post of my top 5 or 6 snowstorms....anyone know where to find a radar/WV/sat loop and a map of snow totals for the MW/GL of the Jan 1999 blizzard? I can get the UA analysis and loop on the NARR site but thats all I got right now. any help is appreciated.

You probably know this already but the NOAA Satellite and Information Services have radar archives back to the mid-1990s. It won't show you rain vs. snow but it will show you precip in general.

OT but thinking about doing a good blog post of my top 5 or 6 snowstorms....anyone know where to find a radar/WV/sat loop and a map of snow totals for the MW/GL of the Jan 1999 blizzard? I can get the UA analysis and loop on the NARR site but thats all I got right now. any help is appreciated.

I think ChicagoWX made a map of snow totals so you might want to ask him. As far as WV etc, not sure.

Just got back from Salt Lake City and the weather there this week was amazing. Sunny and 80 degrees nearly everyday. Obviously coming home to 54 and rain was not ideal haha. The inversion that takes place in SLC pretty regularly is quite impressive and it literally traps the smog/pollution down in the Salt Lake Valley often causing extremely reduced visibility in SLC, which did occur yesterday before we left.

Also here is one of the photos I took of a sunset over the Great Salt Lake.

post-783-0-21636100-1316759716.jpg

Just got back from Salt Lake City and the weather there this week was amazing. Sunny and 80 degrees nearly everyday. Obviously coming home to 54 and rain was not ideal haha. The inversion that takes place in SLC pretty regularly is quite impressive and it literally traps the smog/pollution down in the Salt Lake Valley often causing extremely reduced visibility in SLC, which did occur yesterday before we left.

Also here is one of the photos I took of a sunset over the Great Salt Lake.

It is awful. In winter it gets really bad. So bad the smelter plant and other pollutant aerosols seed the fog resulting in fog fallout/snow.

When it isn't polluted though, the Wasatch and SLC are gorgeous.

It is awful. In winter it gets really bad. So bad the smelter plant and other pollutant aerosols seed the fog resulting in fog fallout/snow.

When it isn't polluted though, the Wasatch and SLC are gorgeous.

Outside of the smog/pollution, which we only had to deal with yesterday (Thursday), Salt Lake City is an amazing and extremely cultured city. Definitely much more liberal than the surrounding areas. We went to Olympic Park Thursday afternoon before we left and there was a little bit of snow left in the highest elevations.

Outside of the smog/pollution, which we only had to deal with yesterday (Thursday), Salt Lake City is an amazing and extremely cultured city. Definitely much more liberal than the surrounding areas. We went to Olympic Park Thursday afternoon before we left and there was a little bit of snow left in the highest elevations.

Yeah it isn't a bad city at all. There were some things I didn't like after living there a bit, but that happes everywhere. Some of my favorite pics from when I was out there....plus a few high elevation snow pics for the snow/winter lovers. The powder in the Wasatch is famous for good reason. Very dry and powdery snow above 8000 feet....great skiing snow. This winter the Wasatch was crushed, doesn't surprise me there was still snow left. The Cottonwoods Canyons and the high Wasatch above 10k feet eat snow like nothing else. Some of those high peaks are perfectly shaped for catching snow.

post-999-0-13000700-1316760815.jpg

post-999-0-02660300-1316760818.jpg

post-999-0-86715400-1316760811.jpg

Near Solitude up B ig Cottonwood Canyon:

post-999-0-21492600-1316760803.jpg

What of those lovely inversions you were talking of. This was in Tooele Valley in between the Oquirrhs and Stansbury Mountains right adjacent to SLC Valley:

post-999-0-96328000-1316760805.jpg

post-999-0-40003500-1316760808.jpg

post-999-0-71321800-1316760821.jpg

Seriously considering heading down to the lakefront tomorrow morning for this..

from Gino..

WHILE OUR SKILL AT PREDICTING WATERSPOUTS IS NOT PARTICULARLY

GREAT...SATURDAY MORNING'S SET-UP IS ABOUT AS GOOD OF A SET UP AS

I CAN RECALL SEEING THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS FOR WATERSPOUTS TO

OCCUR OFF THE ILLINOIS SHORE. STRONG LAKE INDUCED INSTABILITY...DEEP

CONVECTIVE CLOUDS...AN UPPER LOW NEARBY/OVERHEAD...AND LIKELY

DEVELOPMENT OF LAND BREEZE CONVERGENCE ZONE JUST OFFSHORE.

SATURDAY MORNING WOULD BE A GREAT TIME TO POTENTIALLY SNAG A

WATERSPOUT FOR THOSE WITH TIME LAPSE RECORDING CAPABILITIES FROM

THE CHICAGO HIGH RISES THAT OVERLOOK THE LAKE!

The models continue to be quite unstable in the later periods. One run the GFS/Euro will show a nice warm ridge setting up over the area once the big cutoff low lifts out, then the next run another big trough plunges into the Great Lakes, then the next run it's back to warm ridge, then back to big trough again. Today's morning runs of both models are back to showing another big trough right on the heels of the cutoff.

The models continue to be quite unstable in the later periods. One run the GFS/Euro will show a nice warm ridge setting up over the area once the big cutoff low lifts out, then the next run another big trough plunges into the Great Lakes, then the next run it's back to warm ridge, then back to big trough again. Today's morning runs of both models are back to showing another big trough right on the heels of the cutoff.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Looks like some flakes as well for N MN.

post-1662-0-83079700-1316877048.gif

Archived