• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
September 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

Yeah it would be real interesting if we were another 5-7 weeks down the road lol.

I will take it. It is a pretty unique setup mainly because the embedded PV's rotating around the base of the mean cutoff upper low originate from stratospheric intrusions from the previous days jet configuration. The intrusions helped generate potential vorticity in the troposphere which is resulting in shortwave amplification and the deepening of the upper low.

From a day ago. The various stratospheric intrusions and the jet stream anomalies created from them. Note the mass field divergence aloft in response to the anomalies. It is truly a unique setup.

post-999-0-24973800-1316992791.png

post-999-0-36413500-1316992897.jpg

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will take it. It is a pretty unique setup mainly because the embedded PV's rotating around the base of the mean cutoff upper low originate from stratospheric intrusions from the previous days jet configuration. The intrusions helped generate potential vorticity in the troposphere which is resulting in shortwave amplification and the deepening of the upper low.

From a day ago. The various stratospheric intrusions and the jet stream anomalies created from them. Note the mass field divergence aloft in response to the anomalies. It is truly a unique setup.

well, this is getting ridiculous...Td's have been in the upper 60's and low 70's now for about a week, and counting...and when this mess first cutoff from the main flow, the 500mb upper air pattern reminded me of a spring-time scenario...not one of an atmosphere transitioning into winter...

this is getting tiresome...

well, this is getting ridiculous...Td's have been in the upper 60's and low 70's now for about a week, and counting...and when this mess first cutoff from the main flow, the 500mb upper air pattern reminded me of a spring-time scenario...not one of an atmosphere transitioning into winter...

this is getting tiresome...

Ah come on Diane, there is always something exciting going on in weather!

Not in that defo band. Granted it is impossible without knowing the thermal setup, but it would not be a likely scenario for rain in that intense comma head/deformation band.

I find that the cold air tends to be scoured out pretty quickly with these types of cut-off lows in the winter, after it's been detached from the PJ. Yeah, there would be evap/dyamic cooling areas of +SN, but as intriguing of a storm as it is, I don't think this is your archetypal winter storm setup.

I find that the cold air tends to be scoured out pretty quickly with these types of cut-off lows in the winter, after it's been detached from the PJ. Yeah, there would be evap/dyamic cooling areas of +SN, but as intriguing of a storm as it is, I don't think this is your archetypal winter storm setup.

Sure it wouldn't be a classic winter time storm by any stretch, I was just not convinced it would be an all rain event were this in the middle of winter. It certainly would be a messy p-type across certain locations as the deep occlusion would lend itself to bands of precip well detached from the cold core. Either way it is fun to watch this system develop :)

Sure it wouldn't be a classic winter time storm by any stretch, I was just not convinced it would be an all rain event were this in the middle of winter. It certainly would be a messy p-type across certain locations as the deep occlusion would lend itself to bands of precip well detached from the cold core. Either way it is fun to watch this system develop :)

Yeah, fair enough. Looking at that RUC simulated radar graphic hm8 posted, you'd probably have the unusual scenario where it's snowing in the QC but raining in GRB, were this January.

Ah come on Diane, there is always something exciting going on in weather!

i can't help being a little grumpy when the potential to see the first flakes of the season is climatologically possible in 3-4wks, yet i have the same temp and Td as my friend in FL...

UGH!!! :(

ok done complaining...for now...yes, there is always something interesting or exciting about the pattern...but at least you are on the pleasant weather side of this ginormous atmospheric block

Yeah, fair enough. Looking at that RUC simulated radar graphic hm8 posted, you'd probably have the unusual scenario where it's snowing in the QC but raining in GRB, were this January.

Brings me back to the Christmas 2009 storm that occluded and wrapped warm air pretty far into MN where it rained and at the same time there was snow down in STL I think..

Yep here we go...

i5dhyg.jpg

This could be quite the rain/wind storm for Madison, over 1 inch of rain and wind gusts of 30-40 mph are possible, with winds sustained around 20 mph. It's neat how it's going to spin-up over Lake Michigan and then push west over Wisconsin, feels like a weak tropical cyclone landfall scenario, though much colder conditions (50s). The lake is very warm right now with spots still in the 60s, so maybe the cyclone will feed off the sensible heat flux a little. Not a primary mechanism of energy, just an incidental one due to the conditions at large leading to the development and movement of the cyclone.

LOT storm total radar is screwed up to say the least..I'm not talking just about the wind farm blockouts

it has rings of brightbanding...but within those rings squares of very high precip...which in you run the 1 hour storm total loop goes up about 1 inch in places but the past one loop is only .25 inches

also it has places within that is really underdoing stom totals such as northen cook county

but the overdoing areas even fooled the NWS for the 1st flood advisory it said up to 3 inches ....then for the update 3 hours later said up to 2 inches...

decent totals over N IL so far

1-2.5 inch(elgin) range so far per ground truth

looks like some vortex over SE dekalb county per radar

Record daily rainfall at IND yesterday.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

0144 AM EDT MON SEP 26 2011

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT INDIANAPOLIS...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 2.17 INCHES WAS SET AT INDIANAPOLIS

YESTERDAY...SEPTEMBER 25 2011. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 2.13

SET IN 1961. WEATHER RECORDS BEGAN AT INDIANAPOLIS IN 1871.

Should be rain free here today, but it looks like more on the way for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Archived