amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can really see the strong 50kt northerly winds at 850mb on vis sat in eastern IA.

Earlier this morning when things were transitioning from rain to the dry slot the jet was quite apparent in the low-level clouds. They were whipping around just as fast as I've seen in some hurricanes, and you could even see the cyclonic arc of their motion across the sky since the low was so tight at that point.

Earlier this morning when things were transitioning from rain to the dry slot the jet was quite apparent in the low-level clouds. They were whipping around just as fast as I've seen in some hurricanes, and you could even see the cyclonic arc of their motion across the sky since the low was so tight at that point.

Ya the vis sat loops have been awesome yesterday and today.

Just showed my friends that picture on FB and he thought it was a joke, like someone photoshopped a hurricane over the continental US :lmao:

The ignorance of the general public wrt to wx is incredible. Your example actually isn't that bad. I've had to inform people about the difference between hail and sleet (this one I've had to clarify on numerous occasions) and why you don't need rainboots and a poncho when the forecast calls for a 30% chance of shra.

one member's hotness, is another member's bane... your hotness is pumping FL Td's right up into my state! (thanks ;) )

Haha, true. I understand your disdain for this system because I hate high Td's too. I never liked my Td's above 55, and after living out W, I can say my tolderance is now even lower. High than 50 Td and I am annoyed. I prefer it 40 or below.

Haha, true. I understand your disdain for this system because I hate high Td's too. I never liked my Td's above 55, and after living out W, I can say my tolderance is now even lower. High than 50 Td and I am annoyed. I prefer it 40 or below.

i love the lower Td's of the west...although, in the Mojave, they regularly get below 0, before the monsoon kicks in...and then i get wicked bloody noses...but when i live out west, and then come back east, anything over 45 is humid and uncomfortable

(btw, i know i'm from SNE, and we allow a lot more banter in threads than other subforums...please forgive me if these types of posts bother anyone, it's not my intention)

i love the lower Td's of the west...although, in the Mojave, they regularly get below 0, before the monsoon kicks in...and then i get wicked bloody noses...but when i live out west, and then come back east, anything over 45 is humid and uncomfortable

(btw, i know i'm from SNE, and we allow a lot more banter in threads than other subforums...please forgive me if these types of posts bother anyone, it's not my intention)

Nah it isn't a worry. Feel free to post over here. We don't have banter threads, and I don't see a reason we ever will anytime soon.

steady rain has picked up again here.

The sfc low looks to be between I-88/80 east of DVN.

Think the surface low went right through here earlier. Pressure dropped as low as 997mb. Definitely been an interesting day.

Depending on how deep the mixing gets there could be some fairly strong gradient winds Thursday afternoon over much of the MW.

NAM_221_2011092700_F69_WSPD_500_MB.png

Think the surface low went right through here earlier. Pressure dropped as low as 997mb. Definitely been an interesting day.

Depending on how deep the mixing gets there could be some fairly strong gradient winds Thursday afternoon over much of the MW.

NAM_221_2011092700_F69_WSPD_500_MB.png

00z NAM is suggesting possible 50 mph gusts.

You really deserve a break right now, def more than myself. The airport has tended to get some of the lowest totals this summer into fall. Must be a permanently dry patch of air or something...j/k! Anyways, hopefully this winter can deliver.

Win some but lose most it seems here, meh, w/e, done whining over spilled milk - just was hoping for a good 1-2" soaker to get the Grant Park stream flowing again for the fall run.. Now we'll probably go back to boring weather and timing how long I can stand a fork in my belly button. (working end facing upwards of course)

Hello everyone! Just moved back to Wisconsin for the first time since my childhood (to attend college) and am ready for my first Midwest winter in quite some time. I've been active in the Mid Atlantic forum for many years, but am looking forward to discussing winter with all of you this year! Cheers!

You go to Marquette!?

Hello everyone! Just moved back to Wisconsin for the first time since my childhood (to attend college) and am ready for my first Midwest winter in quite some time. I've been active in the Mid Atlantic forum for many years, but am looking forward to discussing winter with all of you this year! Cheers!

oh geez....you're a packer fan.

what's the average date of the first frost? ( for whoever wants to answer, i know the central/west subforum covers a lot of geography and different climate)

Here in Northeast IN the first 32“ temperature occurs around October 10th. Of course, there is usually some light frost occurring in outlying areas before that date, but it's usually pretty close to the second week of October. I know that anything under 36“ is considered a frost and 32“ is considered a freeze, but I am more concerned with the end of the growing season, which usually occurs at 32.

Here in Northeast IN the first 32“ temperature occurs around October 10th. Of course, there is usually some light frost occurring in outlying areas before that date, but it's usually pretty close to the second week of October. I know that anything under 36“ is considered a frost and 32“ is considered a freeze, but I am more concerned with the end of the growing season, which usually occurs at 32.

First freeze map is interesting. I found this on the Midwest Regional Climate site. Love the dark green area in and around LAF. :lol:

Archived