• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
WunderMap update?

Forgive me if this is a known quantity already, but enough people (including me) on the Mid-Atlantic board hadn't seen it yet.

The WunderMap at Wunderground has model data as one of the overlays on their Google Map format. Go to http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/ and use the right sidebar.

The revelation (to me, at least) is that they have ECMWF data at 3hr timesteps out to 180, including precip and surface winds and temps. And it is zoom-able. A couple of examples below. Enjoy, weenies!

(I have no affiliation with Wunderground)

post-1746-0-84143200-1314110787.jpg

post-1746-0-16074100-1314110906.jpg

Well FWIW, NCEP GFS is out to 24h and Wunderground is already out to 9h. So it comes out as the model does, but a bit behind.

sometimes the agreement between ecmwf and providers is for a delay. they'll (ecmwf) offer it at a less prohibitive cost but provide the data significantly later than it comes to places like WSI etc.

will be interesting to see the arrangement...regardless though...a great addition assuming it stays and it's free.

No thanks....I like the better graphics of the standard Euro site:

[/wickedsarcasm]

:lol:

Wonderful MN!!! Do we know when it updates??

Not a clue. It will be really interesting to see what happens this afternoon.

sometimes the agreement between ecmwf and providers is for a delay. they'll (ecmwf) offer it at a less prohibitive cost but provide the data significantly later than it comes to places like WSI etc.

will be interesting to see the arrangement...regardless though...a great addition assuming it stays and it's free.

There are a range of possibilities in my mind:

1) The weenie's dream - Small amount of latency, but the full suite as-is

2) Significant (hour-plus) delay, but same setup

3) This is a free preview, but gets placed behind a paywall (doesn't seem to be Wunderground's M.O., though)

4) There was a mixup in what is really supposed to be available, and the fun stuff gets pulled

I wonder if this isn't some sort of "soft opening" as they say in the retail community. Work out the bugs a little bit. I hope Masters or somebody there puts up a post about it.

Is there anyway to step it through one time step at a time? Rather than just hit the play/pause button? Probably just my crappy computer at work, but the play mode is very jittery and skips many/most time steps for me right now.

J/L keys

Is there anyway to step it through one time step at a time? Rather than just hit the play/pause button? Probably just my crappy computer at work, but the play mode is very jittery and skips many/most time steps for me right now.

I don't think all the time steps have a graphic associated with them(at least from my playing around with it a bit this morning)....that maybe the source of jitteriness...

J/L keys

Many thanks!

I don't think all the time steps have a graphic associated with them(at least from my playing around with it a bit this morning)....that maybe the source of jitteriness...

Now that I'm stepping through one-by-one, I agree.

Looks awesome! But I'm waiting for the fine print. Would seem about par for the course for them to tease us for a month or two only to remove it or start charging for it come November. If not...I hope their servers are up for the challenge this winter thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yeah, I have a bad feeling it will only be a teaser...we will see. For now enjoy it. I sure am, even if the interface is clunky.

I'll be honest: I was shown this a few days ago, and intentionally didn't post it here because I figured it must be a mistake. Will be shocked if the EC graphics last more than a week now that the cat's out of the bag, but we'll see.

EDIT: Also, very interesting how even in AWIPS, I've only seen the Euro at 6-hour increments. Does anyone know if 3 hr. data has appeared anywhere else, ever?

I'll be honest: I was shown this a few days ago, and intentionally didn't post it here because I figured it must be a mistake. Will be shocked if the EC graphics last more than a week now that the cat's out of the bag, but we'll see.

EDIT: Also, very interesting how even in AWIPS, I've only seen the Euro at 6-hour increments. Does anyone know if 3 hr. data has appeared anywhere else, ever?

Yeah exactly, we only get "lower res" (i.e. not the high res grid that ECMWF runs the model at) 6 hr chunks on AWIPS. Pretty awesome stuff. As you said, let us see how long this lasts.

Archived