• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
WunderMap update?

Don't forget worldwide personal weather station obs. weight_lift.gif

Wunderground has been one of the premiere sites in weather for a long time, and things only seem to be getting better.

Several years back I used to just laugh at the site. I thought it was terrible...looked like it had been designed by a 3rd grader and only regurgitated info found elsewhere. Since then its pretty much become one of my favorite sites for real-time and occasionally historic info. They've really done an impressive job with the site.

It's not illegal to post the maps, but AFAIK they are the only ones that do it for free, since the cost to acquire the data is about $250,000 per year (source... the precip data alone works out to being the maximum price, if they got full-resolution data). Translation: they have access to every variable in the entire ECMWF suite, including ensembles and weeklies/monthlies... maybe THAT will be the subscription service! :)

Looks awesome! But I'm waiting for the fine print. Would seem about par for the course for them to tease us for a month or two only to remove it or start charging for it come November. If not...I hope their servers are up for the challenge this winter thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yeah no kidding, can you imagine the SNE board crashing that site in the winter? It's already a little slow from an interface perspective (perhaps they are still ironing out the kinks), and anything that relies on google maps for mashups is destined to always be a little bit pokey since every drag and zoom requires hitting google's servers for the underlying map image data, then drawing the weather parameters/graphics on top. I wonder if it is using actual 3-hour model output, or is it just interpolating the 6-hour frames? Hopefully remains free, but I am skeptical. Would be nice to have those precip maps in the winter though.

Yeah no kidding, can you imagine the SNE board crashing that site in the winter? It's already a little slow from an interface perspective (perhaps they are still ironing out the kinks), and anything that relies on google maps for mashups is destined to always be a little bit pokey since every drag and zoom requires hitting google's servers for the underlying map image data, then drawing the weather parameters/graphics on top. I wonder if it is using actual 3-hour model output, or is it just interpolating the 6-hour frames? Hopefully remains free, but I am skeptical. Would be nice to have those precip maps in the winter though.

3-hour output DOES exist through hour 144. Beyond that it's only 6-hr. IOW, it's legit (besides, I'm not even sure how one would go about interpolating data that's already timeseries-based)... not sure why more sites don't post the QPF's (at least for every 24 hours), since precip costs the same as any other variable.

Is there anyway to step it through one time step at a time? Rather than just hit the play/pause button? Probably just my crappy computer at work, but the play mode is very jittery and skips many/most time steps for me right now.

J/L keys

I don't think all the time steps have a graphic associated with them(at least from my playing around with it a bit this morning)....that maybe the source of jitteriness...

I'm having the same problems. Let's say I put it on 6hr and get a map, then move to the 9hr. Sometimes it will try to download the 9hr for a couple of seconds and then I'll get an error message in the error log that pops up. It will say error "mm" layer. Here's the kicker though. That image exists. I have found that sometimes I can get the image to load by resizing the map. But this is hit or miss. I sure would appreciate any thoughts on a way to get the computer to "try again" to load the image at the same map size because I have also found that if I resize a map in an attempt to get an image to load, and it does load, that when I go back to the "6hr" image that I originally had, it is now gone and must be loaded again at the new map size. Doubt this will get much attention with Irene going on, but maybe somebody will figure this out.

I'm having the same problems. Let's say I put it on 6hr and get a map, then move to the 9hr. Sometimes it will try to download the 9hr for a couple of seconds and then I'll get an error message in the error log that pops up. It will say error "mm" layer. Here's the kicker though. That image exists. I have found that sometimes I can get the image to load by resizing the map. But this is hit or miss. I sure would appreciate any thoughts on a way to get the computer to "try again" to load the image at the same map size because I have also found that if I resize a map in an attempt to get an image to load, and it does load, that when I go back to the "6hr" image that I originally had, it is now gone and must be loaded again at the new map size. Doubt this will get much attention with Irene going on, but maybe somebody will figure this out.

Bump, in hopes of help.

Bump, in hopes of help.

I get that as well and the only thing I've found that can help without resizing the map, Go back or ahead of that time by one (the L key) then go back to the image that fails to load (Using the J key) to me it usually reloads the image correctly. I've had few cases where it wont load at all unless i resize the map, which is a pain.

Recently to avoid that problem, I load the map.. hit the model I want, then hit the "play" button and leave it alone looping/loading all images for a bit, hasn't failed me yet.

(Doing it now for the 18z GFS as i type this)

If an image doesn't load, I just "grab" the map and shift it ever so slightly and sometimes it will load (may need to do this a few times), but any other images that you have loaded before will need to be reloaded...but at least you can see the hour you are looking for. Lately, my error messages have diminished and have been able to load the entire 180 hour sequence even without shifting the map! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived