• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Major Hurricane Irene live tracking

My grandma lives in Marco Island, Florida which is located in southwestern Florida. She is only one mile from the ocean. Very worried about her already although I know the track of this potential storm is not set in stone. I am fascinated by hurricanes, but it's a bit different when you have a close family member potentially in the path. Our economy doesn't need this either. A major hurricane striking the United States could be the tipping point economically...

Our feelings about it have zero impact on the cyclone's development or the model outputs.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grandma lives in Marco Island, Florida which is located in southwestern Florida. She is only one mile from the ocean. Very worried about her already although I know the track of this potential storm is not set in stone. I am fascinated by hurricanes, but it's a bit different when you have a close family member potentially in the path. Our economy doesn't need this either. A major hurricane striking the United States could be the tipping point economically...

Anybody involved in the manufacturing, distribution, and installation of all exterior products for structures residential or commercial would certainly disagree.

What I would like to ask is how much a mountainous island like Hispaniola would effect a TC that dodges just barely north or south as far as COC goes? Historically is it more direct hits that confound a storm or does this include near misses but major problems with inflow / outflow?

Anybody involved in the manufacturing, distribution, and installation of all exterior products for structures residential or commercial would certainly disagree.

What I would like to ask is how much a mountainous island like Hispaniola would effect a TC that dodges just barely north or south as far as COC goes? Historically is it more direct hits that confound a storm or does this include near misses but major problems with inflow / outflow?

All I can think of is Gustav when it clipped Cuba in 08 and ran into the Gulf a cat. 2 the whole ride.

All I can think of is Gustav when it clipped Cuba in 08 and ran into the Gulf a cat. 2 the whole ride.

Huh? Gustav entered the Gulf as a 4, weakened to a 3, and made landfall as a 2 while battling dry air and some light shear.

Ike ran across pretty much the entirety of Cuba or close to it and stayed a 2 throughout the Gulf.

Any thoughts on the floater?

http://www.ssd.noaa....2/loop-avn.html

Looks like it is consolidating around 15-16 N. I do understand that this may be mid level or my eyes playing tricks but this is a bit further north than the GFS is showing.

It's difficult to discern low level turning from an IR loop... but in this case it's actually easy...and the center is not in that blob of warming convection, but further SSE, you can see the warm (gray) clouds moving counterclockwise south of the convection.

It's difficult to discern low level turning from an IR loop... but in this case it's actually easy...and the center is not in that blob of warming convection, but further SSE, you can see the warm (gray) clouds moving counterclockwise south of the convection.

The issue is that the convection/MLC is not rotating around the said center of circulation, it's just continuing WNW. Hard to say what's really going on.

Also, I don't think the LLC is anywhere south of 13N.

I agree with you that the LLC is broad and a bit south of the MLC. However, I am wondering if the LLC will move towards the MLC with time. That would definitely change the track as it would be more likely to feel more effect from the EC trough. Just a thought and observations to look for.

Agreed, if this develops and avoids the big islands. The mid-level windfield is already very expansive. We just need to see a sfc reflection spark up. Most models don't seem to ramp this up till 3-4 days out.

Cool loop below of the current disturbance.

latest72hrs.gif

one of the more cool loops I've seen! where did you get that?

red alert btw now.

I maintain that I think this system is going to be challenged until it escapes the SAL shroud that it is immersed within... The latest loop looks more cyclonic in the cloud field but this could also be incidental motion from cyclonic collapse - that sometimes take place when 6 hours of convection decays just prior to corriolis integration in time getting the gears going. When that happens though it doesn't persist and is often also only in the mid levels.

RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT

this is an example of a useless post.. in case you were wondering

given the number of reports this thread is getting lately plz do several things:

-remember this is going to have a lot more activity than we've seen in similar threads this year

-read backwards before posting the same thing as other people

-consider if you're adding anything to the thread before posting

we'll all be better off following at least those if not other ideas.

to use you as an example of what not to do, since many clearly do not understand.

yes.. but it's only one of many. there have been like 2 pages of reports on this thread today alone. i think there are other threads for general banter and/or ppl can feel free to start "micro topic" threads about the storm or otherwise. as/if this gets going it's going to tend to be a madhouse.. so it's probably good to get ready now. back to scheduled programing...

Archived